CrazyBoards.org

Two week migraine?

So, I've been on drugs for about two weeks now.  Off and on at first, then this past week every single day has been one with migraine drugs. 

Here's what gets me, I use Zomig for when I get a pre-migraine aura. 5mg tabs.  But you can only take 10 mg in a 24 hour period.  But, when I'm in a cycle like this,  I get the pre-migraine aura repeatedly throughout the day.  What's a girl suppose to do?

Also, the narcs I take are now not working as well as they use to (um, like last month).  So my nice little demerol nap is no longer there.  Here I sit on the edge of pain and on demerol.  Xanax, and Zomig.  Unbelieveable.

Heidi: have you called your doctor? It's not good to have a migraine for so long. He or she should be able to give you something to break the headache cycle. You need something stronger than zomig and demerol. Or, you could try the emergency room.

take care, diane

I did go see my doc.  As good as I am about self-care when it comes to these things I am not proactive but reactive.  I did go see my internist, and I had my hubby go in with me - to explain things.  WHen I go myself I can't report much because I get incredibly stupid when in a migraine.  So I don't remember anything.  He was able to report out and since Our internist is GREAT.  I am going in for MRIs next week.  See if things have changed since the last set of MRIs. 

It isn't a constant migraine for two weeks.  THe first week was off and on.  Then this past week it was pretty constant.  I would get it to stop with enough drugs, but then it comes back again pretty quickly (within 24 hours).  Today, the migraine aura started, took the zomig and it quit for like 3 hours.  Then bam here it comes again.  So, do I take the last 5 mgs of zomig I can take for 24 hours?  Or go for the numbing land of demerol and zomig.

I agree that Urgent Care and ER's are NOT the place for a migraine sufferer.  Never had anything think of me as a drug addict trying to get some more (or at least I never made that connection before...but the lights, the noise, the business, ugh, just too much.

You know, I wonder what it was like having a migraine in the middle of nowhere in the 1800s?  or 1700s?  Eeek!

I think If I was a homesteader I would have chopped off my head with a axe.  Seriously the pain is that bad sometimes...

Thanks for the compassion Diane!

You're welcome! I had a 17-day migraine last June. I went to the ER and was given 2 rounds of drugs and that didn't even stop the pain. I finally went to my internist who prescribed methylprednisolone, valium, and vicodin---and that worked!

Diane

Archived