CrazyBoards.org

Firefox Plugins

Here are a few of my favorite FF plugins that I use on crazyboards.

Spellbound Is a spelling checker for edit boxes, such as the ones used to enter posts on a board such as this one.  I can't spell worth a shit, so it's hand to have around.

BBcodeExtra makes it easier to enter bbcode tags, like the ones used here.

Scrapbook is great for archiving web pages for later use in research.

Fasterfox can really speed up your browsing.

Anyone have more suggestions?

Not all plugins work on all versions of FF.  Ones for FF 1.5 in particular may not work on older versions, so make sure you get the ones that work with your browser.

cool stuff VE. i'll look into those once i get my gentoo box up and running. 'tis having some teething problems. but they're all user-interface issues. ;)

grouse.

edited to add: i occasionally have to use internet explorer, like when i'm at work, and i feel sad for those people who haven't discovered firefox yet. it is here at http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

OK, I downloaded the bbcode, but it didn't say it installed anything.  Is that normal?

How do I use bbcode, as opposed to the little buttons at the top?

Libby, computer idiot

While we're at it, how do I engage the spell check?  I see nothing>>>  OK, right click.  Got it.

Guest PinkToo2grrl

Libby I had that problem.  the link VE gave goes to where you can download it, but i couldn't figure out how to install it.

if you go here and scroll down to the BBcode thingee there is an install button that makes it install, and not just download.

then just right click in the text window here on CB to access the tools you installed.  ;)

if you go here and scroll down to the BBcode thingee there is an install button that makes it install, and not just download.
  Thanks, Pink!

<s>test</s>

frickin test

frickin fricken test

1. <s>test</s>
  2. frickin test

3. frickin fricken test
welp, all but the strikethrough worked.  I really like having a numbered list feature!

**olga looks around, confused**

What are you guys talking about?  I'm lost.  What's a plugin?

sigh

I tried to download Firefox a long time ago and I couldn't use it because when I tried to shut down my computer, it kept giving me a message that Firefox was running.  Or something. 

I wish all this stuff came with written directions on paper for people who read directions and manuals.

pouting olga

I luvva the Firefox and don't use anything else if I can avoid it.  It's the bomb.

But I'm ignorant of how to use plugins.  And lazy.  Maybe I'll try it at work sometime when I'm killing time.  D'ya think if I bookmark this topic I'll be able to find it in a few days so I can use the links?  I'd especially love the one that would spellcheck my posts.  I'm not sure what you mean by bbcode, but I'm sure all would be revealed if I put some time into it.  Or maybe I could bribe my nerdy buddy at the office to help.

there used to be a great one where you could take out the "File Edit ..." bar and put it as a button, and then edit it down to a single drop down menu of only the ones you use, so basically, you could have all teh options you use under the File menu.  It was awesome.  Somewhere around .7 or .8 it stopped working.  I'm also really fond of editing the tab menus, so you get more options when you rt click on the tabs.  Real timesavers like duplicate tab and such.  anywho.  Finally, mouse gestures is the bomb..

• 2 weeks later...

Question: can you import your IE favourites into Firefox? I'm currently using Maxthon, a modification of IE.

Edit: This inspired me to get Firefox, even though I was quite happy with Maxthon. And nevermind, I figured out how to do it.

Any tips for beginners?

Question: can you import your IE favourites into Firefox? I'm currently using Maxthon, a modification of IE.

Edit: This inspired me to get Firefox, even though I was quite happy with Maxthon. And nevermind, I figured out how to do it.

Any tips for beginners?

It's a pretty basic browser.  To get to the advanced settings enter "about:config" in the location bar.  Don't change anything if you don't know what it does though.  Plugins change that stuff for you.

Any tips for beginners?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Open everything in tabs whether you need to or not.

Get 50 different themes and change them regularly. (I'm currently grooving on Crystal Dream)

Install every extension you can find and only use 3 of them.

Curse Microsoft every time you go to a site designed for IE only.

Enjoy sticking it to Microsoft for every other site you visit.

Rejoice in the knowledge you have picked a superior browser.

What I love are the tabs, way cool.

Also, they just released an email program that you can import Outlook and acouple other of the major ones. I did it last night and the import was seemless. The features are a little more simple and aesthetically pleasing the Outlook, well I should clarify I have Outlook but use Outlook Express--but no more!

I love Firefox, Mozilla has come a long way. Kicking some Microsoft butt! Yeah!

I haven't tried any of the other new features.

S9

Archived