CrazyBoards.org

Crazy People Weight Support Group!

I'll start. I'd like to run this thread to be an inspiration to those of us trying to beat the plumpkin, and as a place for those "losers" to encourage those who want to lose.

For me- as I said, I went out and joined a gym and am now watching what I eat like a crazed loon because I gained on Seroquel and am now terrified of further gain on Zyprexa.

It isn't like I'm "obese" or "fat". My MD and pdoc say my weight is fine, though the pdoc did ask me to watch my weight due to the meds.

I need some encouragement- some success stories from those of you who have battled the med-induced flab and won!!!

------loon---------

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.  I'm overweight, but for the first time in a long time, I'm finally managing to lose.  I've been steadily gaining weight pretty much since college.  More from just being too depressed and unmotivated to eat right and get out and exercise than from meds, though.   

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes a couple of months ago so I've been working on eating healthier (fewer carbs, more protein, more vegetables) and that plus glucophage means that I'm down three knotches on my belt so far.  My eating habits still aren't great, but I'm still seeing improvement.  I'm managing to eat breakfast every day.  I'm keeping a food journal and trying to get out and walk a couple of nights a week.  It's steps in the right direction, I guess. 

I'm obese and fat!

I've gained 30 pounds since I started taking Risperdal.  And I know some (most?) of it is the Risperdal (because sometimes I get weird ideas and stop taking it for awhile and I immediately start losing weight), but it's also because gaining the weight has made me feel gross and slovenly, so I act gross and slovenly. 

I would ideally like to lose 40 pounds.  That's do-able by June, right?  I want to graduate undergrad at my high school graduation weight (or there-abouts). 

It'll be a big change, but I'm actually kind of psyched about it... because I need to start doing things that are actually good for me, instead of like self-wallowing-feel-good-mmm-chocolate good for me.

The University I go to has a wonderful rec center (gym).... I can sign up for a term's worth of non-academic yoga classes for like $50, I think.  But... I don't really like gyms.  They make me super self-conscious and they just feel weird and like the matrix somehow.

I wish it weren't winter (read: raining) here... because we have more biking/jogging trails than most other cities in the US (prefontaine/nike started here) and I like that much more.  But it's much less appetizing in a downpour.

Okay, I'm in. As part of my tdoc's plan for me to live in LIVE mode, vs. SURVIVAL mode, I committed to him I would join the Y. I haven't gone there yet. Inspire me.

I have gained weight and lost weight, wash, rinse, repeat.

I am currently 45 y.o. (read slowing metabolism), 5' 7 and 3/4 tall and weigh 180. I wear a size 14 tightly (ugh, won't do it) and 16s I can slide down my hips to pee without unbuttoning--so, what size am I? I would love to be a 12. For some reason this seams (pun intended) unattainable.

Mostly, I want to get back on a right path of food and beverage because of the physical health problems (autoimmune, other) I have. I believe diet has a lot to do with this, as much or more than exercise, but at least =.

I just want to feel good, looking better, e.g., the patriarchal dictated image of "better = thin" in women, would be a plus. That and I hate it when my clothes are tight, when it's uncomfortable to bend over because my protuberant abdomen gets in my way, etc.

So, what do we do? Virtual workouts?

I'm down, just tell me what's next.

Suze

I am currently 45 y.o. (read slowing metabolism), 5' 7 and 3/4 tall and weigh 180. I wear a size 14 tightly (ugh, won't do it) and 16s I can slide down my hips to pee without unbuttoning--so, what size am I? I would love to be a 12. For some reason this seams (pun intended) unattainable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am currently 39 years old, 5'8" and weigh on or about 240-250lbs.  I had to go to the doc in December because I had bronchitis.  I hadn't been to the doc since 2001!  They had me come back for blood work and a physical.  My cholesterol is HIGH (261) and the bad cholesterol was 171 which they want to be under 100.  Can you say "heart attack waiting to happen??"  My blood pressure is up to 130/80.  It used to run 100/60 when I was thinner.  I have gained 100 lbs since I got married 13 years ago.  50 of it over the past 4 years.  I blame a lot of it on taking Effexor and the rest on being a slug.  I used to be so active, now I get winded if I walk up the stairs too quickly.  I think I might have lost a little bit of weight the past month but I haven't been on the scale to see.  I've been trying to watch what I eat because if I can get my cholesterol down with diet, I won't have to take meds.  My size 20 jeans are falling down now.  I think tomorrow I'll dig out my 18's and see how they fit.

I am going to join a hip-hop dance class.  My 8yo son takes the class and it looks like a lot of fun and the teacher isn't tough on the eyes either!  Hehee  You should see him move! 

I used to be so active, now I get winded if I walk up the stairs too quickly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This can also be a sign of anemia. You're not having bleed outs, are you? Just wondering...since a lot of us in this age group are. Did ya'll know that SSRIs and SSNRIs can cause dysfunctional uterine bleeding?

I started smoking again too, let the flogging begin...

S9

Well, I'm 50, 5'6" and I'm not saying my weight because it's too humiliating.  I have put on a ton of weight since starting antidepressants 22 yrs ago.  I'd be thrilled if I could lose 50.  Hell, I'd be thrilled if I could lose 10. 

I didn't realize how fat I'd really gotten until someone took my picture the other day and showed it to me. ARGH!  Horrific.

Anyway, I've been eating healthier since then.  That's a step in the right direction.  When I'm depressed, which is most of the time, food is basically the only thing that provides any comfort, that and snuggling with my dog.  You can see how I ended up in the worst shape of my entire life.

Now that I'm on 120mg Cymbalta, and I'm no longer suicidal, I guess I have to plan to LIVE instead of die, and that includes not being the size of the Goodyear blimp.

Now that I'm on 120mg Cymbalta, and I'm no longer suicidal, I guess I have to plan to LIVE instead of die, and that includes not being the size of the Goodyear blimp.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would love you if you WERE the goodyear blimp. Not to take away from how yucky it feels to be overpoundage, but we are not our outsides. Health is the operative word here--healthy. What a concept.

This can also be a sign of anemia. You're not having bleed outs, are you? Just wondering...since a lot of us in this age group are. Did ya'll know that SSRIs and SSNRIs can cause dysfunctional uterine bleeding?

I started smoking again too, let the flogging begin...

S9

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just had a full blood workup done in late December and my hemoglobin was fine.

Edited by NYPaintLady

K:

Uh. Always been a "tall skinny girl" till Remeron. Then I gained 30 pounds. I had quit smoking at the same time, so thought it was that. When I "got in my own way" to tie my shoes, I flipped out.

I swim. I love it. I also have a bad back and have to do something in the form of movement or I feel awful. I lost the thirty pounds by: swimming every other day, walking the beach on the off days, and cutting out carbs.

I seem to be the only one (of the ladies, Jem is after me with corrections these days) that likes to exercise. I feel really good afterward, and wish I could do more.

The trick is to start small. Don't try and get an impossible work out schedule that you can't meet, otherwise you will stop.

Even if you feel stupid with a 10 minute workout the first day - it's a start. If you have access to a gym? Ask someone to give you a routine. You have to start from where you are.

Becca: I am in the same climate. Get some gortex rain pants (outlet stores in where ever that is north of where you are) and start walking those trails. Otherwise hit the gym. There will be someone there that can help you.

If you are really over weight, start with yoga or something that will build your muscle tone. We had a teacher come to the house and teach Albert tai-chi. He was so out of shape he couldn't walk around the house. Next thing we knew? He was out the door and up this really steep hill every day.

But the key is this: Start from where you are and be realistic. So many times people get all excited about working out, start, do too much, hate it, and stop.

Also: take a bit of Advil if you can before you work out. This will help your muscles and the inflammation from moving them for the first time.

It is slow go, but if I can do it? You can do it.

Breeze

Yep. Add me to the list of overweight thanks to meds people. I'm almost 5'2", and I weigh more than 160 pounds -- those jeans don't fit anymore, but I don't know how much more I weigh because I made an agreement with my pdoc not to weight myself (it only leads to bad things after all). I've gained at least 70 pounds, but I'll admit that I started underweight so the first 25 pounds were probably healthy.

I'm going to check with him today, and if he has no objections (I doubt he will) I'm going to sign up for the online weight watchers -- my partner and a friend are going to do the same. And I'll start using that gym membership that charges itself onto my credit card every month.

Fiona

Edited by Fiona

I'm in my 20s.  I have no idea what I weigh.  The last time I weighed myself I was 180ish, but I haven't had a gym membership in a long time, so I know my weight has gone up.  The expanding jeans would be another clue.  I'm 5'10 and should ideally be 150 or so, but I prefer to weigh around 160.  I just can't afford a gym membership, and it's effing cold outside, and binging has been an issue.  Meds don't make things any easier, nor does my stressful food-in-face job. 

So, any indoor excercise ideas for someone who really, truly cannot afford a gym membership, not even at school?  It's -40 out there.  I literally cannot breathe. 

So, any indoor excercise ideas for someone who really, truly cannot afford a gym membership, not even at school?  It's -40 out there.  I literally cannot breathe. 

Pilates? I don't know much about this but I know they have DVD's and you can do  indoors. Or yoga, or tai-chi? ALL have DVD "lessons". And all would get your muscle tone ready for spring when you can get out and run about.

Then there is always "Sweatin' to the oldies" with Richard Simmons! <ducks>

Wow lmnop: I thought you would be a real skinny girl with your pristene diet. (Well it is! ) And I find it funny ("hmmm" not "ha-ha") that a lot of us are tall.

Revenge of the Amazon Crazy Women!

Breeze

I really miss riding my bike.  The neighborhood around me isn't particularly safe, however, and I'm too lazy to load the bike into my trunk to drive it to another neighborhood.  Maybe if I just have a tough girl attitude, people will leave me alone.  Yeah right.  Fat grey haired lady on bike= easy target.

Sheesh, I haven't been on a bike in so many years, that I need training wheels to keep from falling over.  I do have a really cool mountain bike in the garage, however.  I think I used it twice before the gf dumped me and then I never used it again.  I bought her a brand new friggin' bike too.  Bitch.

Wow lmnop: I thought you would be a real skinny girl
And I thought people wouldn't make negative remarks about my weight in a weight support thread. I suppose we were both surprised.
with your pristene diet. (Well it is! )

Your words, not mine. I'm not some holier-than-thou guru of nutritive perfection. I simply eat what feels right for me. And also a whole bunch of sugary crap which I sadly cannot blame on side effects. Binge eating doesn't help.

I appreciate your exercise suggestions. I do have a power yoga DVD. I suppose now that I have a functioning computer again which will actually PLAY it, I should dust off my yoga mat. Onward!

One of the unhealthy things I do is NOT eat all day, and then by the time I do eat, I'm starving.  Last night I was reading that frequent small meals keep your metabolism up, so I'm trying to get better at this.  This morning I took my meds and ate a bowl of flax cereal and lowfat milk first thing.  Yay, me.