CrazyBoards.org

Public Speaking

So I've got to give a presentation about what I am busy doing and how it's going to my contractor tomorrow morning at a conference.  I'm the only one working at my post, so it's inevitable that I present as a project manager.  I did this last year and felt like my heart was going to explode.  It was one of the things that lead me to a pdoc....since that day, I've been enlightened to my BPII and severe GAD and OCD, BPD, and sleep disorder....

I have already been dreading these 6 slides since Friday.  Should I take a Xanax??  I have .5 pills but they really don't do jack.  I'm going to fuck it up I just know it....I insist on praying constantly before these things even though I'm not really religious....oh god I need encouragement..

How did you social phobs get thru this stuff?  I HAVE to remain a normal life and my comfortable job and salary...give me tips to seem sane.....

think about after the presentation. think about going for a nice lunch or something to treat yourself. that way you will reduce the monolithic feeling that you have of the event of the presentation. it's just a presentation. you will live afterward. you will not die if you don't do as well as you'd hope. nobody dies from doing a presentation.

so plan something to do immediately afterward. after the meeting. that way you'll also think about it in association with the presentation meeting and it will draw some of your focus away from the worrying about the presentation.

grouse.

think about after the presentation. think about going for a nice lunch or something to treat yourself. that way you will reduce the monolithic feeling that you have of the event of the presentation. it's just a presentation. you will live afterward. you will not die if you don't do as well as you'd hope. nobody dies from doing a presentation.

so plan something to do immediately afterward. after the meeting. that way you'll also think about it in association with the presentation meeting and it will draw some of your focus away from the worrying about the presentation.

grouse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i love you grouse!  gah, you're right. I have to push until it's over, then it'll be lunch and I won't have to talk since all the other people will be fighting for the spotlight and I'll be glad to give it up.  But um.....really?  I mean no one ever died from heart failure from nervousness???  AHHH!!!!

Regarding public speaking, you are COMPLETELY sane. Most people would rather go through a public flogging than speak in front of an audience. Keep that in mind as you're speaking. Most people are sympathetic and forgiving, knowing that they themselves want nothing to do with being in your shoes at that moment.

If you watch most speakers closely, you will see that they all hesitate for a moment here and there during a presentation to gather their thoughts. It's no big deal for your audience, so don't let it be a big deal for you, even if it feels like it's taking a thousand years to gather your thoughts.

Use bullet points in large print to help you keep yourself on track. Don't write everything out. You'll lose your place and feel like an idiot trying to catch up with your notes.

Practise in front of a mirror until you feel comfortable with what you're going to say.

Remember that everyone listening to you is there to hear what you have to say. Otherwise, they'd be sneaking out to get another cup of coffee.

Don't hold yourself to a ridiculously high standard. All you have to do is get through it without puking on everyone in the first row. Easy.

Take the .5 Xanax. It'll help more than you think, and it will help keep your hands from shaking.

Good luck. You'll do fine.

Greeny

So I've got to give a presentation about what I am busy doing and how it's going to my contractor tomorrow morning at a conference.  I'm the only one working at my post, so it's inevitable that I present as a project manager.  I did this last year and felt like my heart was going to explode.  It was one of the things that lead me to a pdoc....since that day, I've been enlightened to my BPII and severe GAD and OCD, BPD, and sleep disorder....

I have already been dreading these 6 slides since Friday.  Should I take a Xanax??  I have .5 pills but they really don't do jack.  I'm going to fuck it up I just know it....I insist on praying constantly before these things even though I'm not really religious....oh god I need encouragement..

How did you social phobs get thru this stuff?  I HAVE to remain a normal life and my comfortable job and salary...give me tips to seem sane.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What time is it, EST, I will make myself a note to pray extra hard for you. I believe. Every little bit helps. You'll be okay. The first sentence is the hardest one...in my experience with public speaking, especially on the job.

Good luck (you can do it!)

Suze

no worries.

one other thing that can actually work for some weird reason is to hold something small in your hand. i rode an 80 km race on my bike with the lid to my first water bottle in my hand. it was awkward to do it while holding the handle bars, but it was something that gave me a kind of sense of continuity or something. it was kind of like rather than me thinking about how tired i was or how far i still had to go, i could just think about the hard edges of the bottle top in my hand. something to keep that fretting part of my mind occupied i guess.

grouse.

For the future when you may find yourself in a speaking situation again, consider joining Toastmasters. This is a club that focuses on honing public speaking skills. My best friend used to be President of her local chapter. What a great woman- she should speak for a living! ;)

You rocked the house I'm sure!

-------loon---------

I am speaking to a group of about 30 nurses next Wednesday and have always gotten terrible anxiety in that situation (even well before my BP2 diagnosis).  What helps me most is knowing that, to the average audience member, fear looks exactly like enthusiasm.  "Wow, you're really into Census data, aren't you?"

Hope this helps for next time.

Tommy

• 3 weeks later...

I know all this has already passed but for me, it's always worked to not think about it.  If it's something you've written that you have to present, for me, it is much easier to read.  Though if it's something you haven't written, you'll have to practice it.  But the main thing is to try not to worry.  Think of the good things that could happen.  Try to be optomistic about it all.  Thinking negatively about it will only increase your chances for screwing it up, imo.

Besides Toastmasters, which is an awesome group, I...

PRETEND I'M BILL CLINTON...SAYING THAT HE DID NOT HAVE RELATIONS WITH MONICA!!!

That took guts to lie on TV like that. Sure, you're just presenting and not lying, but just see yourself as some confident, famous person who comes off so well, and you're there. Just there! Boom!

I used to teach people how to use technology stuff, so I'd get up in front of groups all the time. It got to be so routine that I never had to be Clinton! LOL I was just Loon and even a bit loony in front of my audience. But being myself then allowed me to let go of my nerves. I mean, don't go psycho on them- but don't feel you need to be perfect. AT first pretending to be someone else, a kind of dissociation, could help you, like it helped me get over those first few teaching sessions.

Archived