CrazyBoards.org

the role of each particular stim.....

I am wondering about the roles of each particular stimulant....such as:

Ritalin:  does this stim affect nor-epinephrine more than dopamine?

Adderall: does this med affect dopamine more than nor-epinephrine?

Dexedrine:  does this stim effect dopamine or norepinephrine, or both?  (how does Dexedrine relate in affecting norepinephrine in contrast to Adderall?)

Desoxyn:  what does this stim affect more? (and why such a speedy effect?....what is in the stim that creates such a speedy effect? is it excess dopamine? or excess norepinephrine?

Levoamphetamine/Benzedrine:  what does this stim affect more? the norepinephrine or the dopamine?

just questions running through my head......questions that i'm trying to get answered so i can figure out what i seem to be chemically lacking in my brain (as i've reacted differently to different meds).

I am wondering about the roles of each particular stimulant....such as:

Dexedrine:  does this stim effect dopamine or norepinephrine, or both?  (how does Dexedrine relate in affecting norepinephrine in contrast to Adderall?)

this in particular interests me, as my pdoc wants to put me on "Dexadrine spansules." I can't find any info about it, and so far have said thanks, but no thanks because I am a speed freak from way back, and have recently stopped Ritalin as I can't take them as prescribed. I have resigned myself to no stims, period. And straterra being the only alternative leaves me with, basically, nothing. I'm already on Cymbalta, which as I understand it, functions somewhat LIKE straterra, but in either case, the two, Cymbalta and Straterra, don't go together well.

And, I don't have a job, SSDI, so I can't get fired for my ADD fuck ups, all I do is feel like a fuck up. Which, I can deal with that, ain't nuttin new there. And I'm working earnestly with tdoc for CBT-related treatments for changing my patterns of behaviour for organizing shit. So, bottom line, I think I can live with ADD without medical intervention beyond Cymbalta. But it does make me nuts, losing and forgetting, losing and forgetting, x10

Well good news.

I have just added tonight (Sunday) a new drug information post pinned up above in the CNS Stimulants forum. It has a listing for each drug with brand name, generic, manufacturer, website link, prescribing information link.

You can find the answer to each of your questions on the PI sheet, in the pharmacology section, which is usually the third or fourth paragraph. Don't be surprised if some say "mechanism of action unknown" like Ritalin says.

If you need help finding things or need help with the chemistry/bio jargon, just PM me.

Cheers,  A.M.

thanks AirMarshal.....but the pinned info doesnt help answer any specifics of what i'd asked.....that's the problemo of particular drug sites is that they give blanket answers and not really in-depth specifics on how much the drug they are talking about affects one particular area more than another (such as: Ritalin possibly affecting norepinephrine than Adderall does, and vice versa with dopamine).........

on a side note, i wonder why they dont pair up Benzedrine with a low dose of methamphetamine (in order to minimize addiction issues a bit more, as they've done the same with Benzedrine and Dexedrine which resulted in the creation of Adderall)

Something to keep in mind here is that DA is a NA precursor, so anything that increases DA will necessarily increase NA as well.

I've done a lot of research on this and will hopefully get some stuff written up and on the web before much longer.  Most PI sheets will say something along the lines of "this medications mechanism of action is unknown."  Sometimes this means "we think we know but can't prove it.  Other times it means, "we have an idea but it doesn't jive with other things we think we know so we're all confused."  With the stims it by and large means "we have no idea what the fuck is going on and only know that they seem to work."

What receptor a med hits is just as important as what neurotransmitter it effects.  One factor that greatly contributes to the complexity of the problem of figuring out how all this works is that there are many sub-types of dopamine receptor and we don't really know what they are all for yet. See the first few paragraphs of the introduction of the article below:

http://physrev.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/78/1/189

I'm attaching a few studies that might help give you a better idea of what's going on and what the state of research is right now.  Don't worry about it if you can't understand 90% of what they are talking about. The point is just to give you some idea of how much we don't know about ADD and its treatment at the neurophysiological level.

I'll be taking the attachments down in a couple weeks due to their size.  If anyone wants 'em, grab them now.

thanks VE, I had noticed some of the D-receptors when looking at the dopamine agonists for RLS the other day......so now this kinda sinks in better with the info you put out........tis amazin that the word dopamine just gets thrown around as if it were just a glass of one liquid (with one essential makeup), but dopamine is really seemingly from where i stand right now (not so much affiliated with a lot of scholarly info as of yet) is just a blanket term for all the receptors that make up the liquid.......so if one receptor is out of whack then the whole dopamine surge is out of wack? geesh...... stims must be a blanket cure for now........i did see how particular dopamine agonists concentrated more on one or two receptors than other particular dopamine agonists.........such as Requip affecting the D3 receptor, and the Mirapex affecting both the D2 and D3 receptors, and then another agonists just affecting the D1 receptor......(this is all off the top of me head so some info may be a bit off)......

Archived