CrazyBoards.org

Any experiences with B12 injections?

I feel like I'm running out of options to treat my depression, so I'm willing to try anything.

I take them... but first let me give some background info...

Are you low on B12?  B12 shots will only make a difference if your B12 blood levels are really low.  If your B12 is normal a shot won't make a difference (and a doctor probably wont give you one if your B12 is normal anyway ;) )

Do you take a good multi, some folic acid and a sub lingual B12 supplement?  (B12 is hard to absorb, so it's best taken sub lingually... my favorite is made by source naturals, but twin lab also makes a good B12 "dot")

Most people get B12 shots because of a disorder called pernicious anemia which is when your body lacks the substance needed in the gastro track to absorb B12.

That being said, for some reason, even though I do not have pernicious anemia and even though I have tried every B12 supplement under the sun, my B12 levels are so low that the blood tests came with that little warning saying "Warning, may have cognitive effects."  So, after months of trying to get my B12 up without shots, I got my first B12 shot right before Christmas.

About two days later I felt so much better.  It was fantastic.  Not a cure-all by any means... but I could really tell that something had changed for the better and that my body was just... working right, or at least closer to right than before.

I had them give me one more shot a week later to make sure it really was the shot.  Yup.  It was.

Even though my B12 is SUPER low, because I do not have pernicious anemia my insurance will not pay for the shots.  BUT, that's ok.  a vial of 30 ccs of B12 is about 35 bucks.  Paying a nurse to inject it into your butt... that's where it gets pricey.  (I use 1 cc a week, so the bottle will last me a long time.)

So, just this last friday I learned how to give myself shots! (I'm still kinda weirded out by the presence of syringes in my house.)  I give myself 1 cc of B12 and .1 cc of folic acid (apparently if you give yourself B12, you have to also give yourself a bit of folic or you'll become deficient in folic and that's also horrid for mental health.)  The shot is in the thigh, switching places every week.  Or, if you live with someone, they can give you the shot instead.

If you are low in B12, I really encourage you to look into why and treat it.  Low B12 can cause lots of problems.

I hope you let us know how it goes.

Best,

Penny

I'm vegan, so animal products are OUT. B12 is an issue I have to pay close attention to.

I'd recommend eating foods that are fortified with B12, like soy milk and cereal. Also, supplements. Almost everyone who eats meat and/or dairy has NO deficiency of B12, as your body actually RECYCLES it in your system. You release very, very little B12 from your body. Most of it stays in your tissue and recirculates.

I hope this helps.

-------loon-----------

My mom typically gives her B12 injections in her stomach, I think she said.

Her levels are excessively low, mine are a bit under normal, so I don't *have* to have the shots...but they do make me feel a little better.

The only real problem I had with them was injecting into an arm muscle (I work out kinda a lot. Only other thing that makes me feel better.) and getting a knot that hurt like blazes for a week and finally went down.

I've been told the best way to give the injections is to inject it directly into fat or just under the skin. I'm not sure if that's true or not, though.

Not a MD but I do give B12 injections to my SO. He/I was told to give the injections IM, that is, in a muscle. Usually inject in his upper arm muscle, sometimes in his thigh muscle. I know on occasion I have missed the muscle or have given the injection sub-cutaneously, under the skin, and it looks like a small bump under his skin. When it happens I just rub the bubble of stuff a little bit so it spreads out.

Anyway, just make sure you give the injections per doc's instructions.

Not a MD but I do give B12 injections to my SO. He/I was told to give the injections IM, that is, in a muscle. Usually inject in his upper arm muscle, sometimes in his thigh muscle. I know on occasion I have missed the muscle or have given the injection sub-cutaneously, under the skin, and it looks like a small bump under his skin. When it happens I just rub the bubble of stuff a little bit so it spreads out.

Anyway, just make sure you give the injections per doc's instructions.

hey... wtf do you do with the needles? my doc forgot to tell me.  will a pharmacy take them?  i know with the shots i give my cat, i bring the needles back to the vet and they charge me for disposal.

i feel all creepy with a "dirty needle" in my house.

hell, i feel creepy with syringes in my house period (somehow the pre filled needles with adequan in them from the vet aren't "syringes" in my mind)

ps... gave myself my first injection w/o nurse supervision and it went smoothly.  just a breif moment of "oh my god i'm going to stick a needle in my thigh now SHIT!" hesitation... but i have to say i'm proud of myself for doing it.  (odd that a former SI girl would now be like OMG THE PAIN, heh)

and, it didn't hurt that bad anyway.  hopefully next week i'll be less hesitant.

Gosh... whenever I had needles in the past (for either myself or for veterinary purposes) I'd just break the needle (so they could not be reused by anyone who might come across them).

Has something changed about disposing them? Been a few years for me.

I usually just snap the tip off the needle (The actual needle part), pull the plunger out of the syringe, drop the needle in, and shove the plunger in on top of it. Then stick the little orange cap back over that end, snap the white cap on the top, and toss it in the garbage.

I usually just snap the tip off the needle (The actual needle part), pull the plunger out of the syringe, drop the needle in, and shove the plunger in on top of it. Then stick the little orange cap back over that end, snap the white cap on the top, and toss it in the garbage.

ah ok

see, when i was little i was at the beach and my foot came about 1/2 an inch from stepping on a used needle.  it was there b/c some trash washed up on the beach.  i know i don't have any diseases, but i'd hate to have a needle wind up somewhere where a kid or a garbage man got pricked and had to worry about it.

i may look into gettng a sharps container anyway just because i'm paranoid...

Guest FrannyNZooey

I had to give myself injections in the past in upper arm muscle, I am slim so can sting but I really never minded.

Main thing is to place arm down straight if not use to doing place arm between wall or chair, something to keep it from rolling, like said if thin, so don't miss, but guess thin arms it is right there not much else.

So I just always just went right for it ( you could practice on orange same type texture as skin so same pressure to get thru) then right away place and keep finger on spot with pressure, again told if thinner firm muscle more to squirt it back out, which means not getting med.

Even put band-aid on afterwards to help contain leakage.

I broke off needle and place in old sturdy childproof type vitamin container until pretty full, then start next one.

With being sturdy container and childproof cap I felt they would be kept in place and safe.

Aly

Heya,

It's broken your skin.

It's biohazard.

It's medical waste.

Think about that for two seconds and you'll see why we have biohazard sharps containers at the office.

Keep them in a childproof pill bottle and ***dispose of them in a biohazard sharps container.***

I take used needles from my patients all the time.

--ncc--

Heya,

It's broken your skin.

It's biohazard.

It's medical waste.

Think about that for two seconds and you'll see why we have biohazard sharps containers at the office.

Keep them in a childproof pill bottle and ***dispose of them in a biohazard sharps container.***

I take used needles from my patients all the time.

--ncc--

ok, that's good to know.  i'm just not comfortable with the idea of chucking the needles in trash, even if they are decapitated.  trashmen don't deserve to be scared.  i don't think i could dispose of them in the regular trash even if that is what everyone does.  it just seems wrong to me.

besides, if i take my cat's needles back to the vet after i give her an adequan injection, surely my needles need to be disposed of in the same manner. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bear in mind B12 can cause major, hideous acne-like rashes in some people.  I'm one of them.  ;)   The acne was so bad that random strangers on the street would do double-takes when they saw me, and I could hardly look anyone in the eyes.

I have no idea what you're going to do with this information, but hey, just so you're aware.

• 4 years later...

The nurse missed the muscle this time and I bled.

Wondering if the shot will even work now or if there is

a bad effect. Big hematoma.

Archived