CrazyBoards.org

So I've been prtty stable on lamicatl for a few months but have been starting to0 break through and going a bit manic and jumpy the last few weeks. Just been to see th ep doc and hes put me on 10mg zyprexa immediately.

What can I expect with this and can i take it prn or ami i on iot for the long haul? can i drink on this stuff or will it sned me batshit like the xanax did with booze?

I don't think it will make you batshit, but drinking on meds is still not a good idea.

That being said, my hubby occassionally indulges, and he is on lamictal and zyprexa. The only thing he has noticed is he seems to get tipsy faster. That also could be because he hardly drinks anymore.

Hubby was taking the zyprexa prn, but he has been having a lot of anxiety...so he is back on for now. He has gone on and off zyprexa as needed for quite some time. The lamictal though...that is  long haul.

Zyprexa is usually short term and it is very effective at squashing mania. 10mg is a reasonable dose if you were in crisis. Chances are after a period of time pdoc will slowly lower your dose and you will not take it "for life". I have taken Zyprexa for as long as 10 months before. I have also taken Zyprexa prn before. But chances are you will need to take it daily, better nightly, for a while.

As wifezilla said, drinking and meds is never a good idea. One thing to be careful of is that Zyprexa can make you drowsy and it can also make you dizzy when standing up from a sitting position or when getting out of bed. So, you need to be careful and not get up too quickly until you know how the zyprexa is going to affect you. Of course, the drowsiness and dizziness could be increased if alcohol is added.

Erika

I don't think it will make you batshit, but drinking on meds is still not a good idea.

That being said, my hubby occassionally indulges, and he is on lamictal and zyprexa. The only thing he has noticed is he seems to get tipsy faster. That also could be because he hardly drinks anymore.

Hubby was taking the zyprexa prn, but he has been having a lot of anxiety...so he is back on for now. He has gone on and off zyprexa as needed for quite some time. The lamictal though...that is  long haul.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks. I love the lamictal, i just don't want to be on zyprexa f9or ever from what i read of the weight gain thing.

OK, update time. Three days in and the mania is wiped out. Mostly the music has stopped and the nasty voice has gone away (apart from occasional random interludes, but I can resist it easily and he doesn't get control).

I have cut down on the drinking, just because I don't feel like it so much. I sleep like the dead: I've never experienced such rest. It's too early to knowe if there's any weight gain, but I'm going to the gym at 6 every day, so that should help, and I never had a sweet tooth anyway. The only problem is getting out of bed to get there for 6am. And then around 9am, I really drowsy, but it passes.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on Lamictal and Zyprexa for about 6 months.  I didn't have and problems in mixing it with alcohol, but like you said, the need to slow you down was being fulfilled by the Z so the alcohol simply wasn't needed anymore.  I have had major problems getting out of bed because my body felt like 2 tons.  My anxiety is creeping up so we're trying abilify....  Although I think I will eventually need the Zyprexa for sleeping and mania.  Good luck with the weight gain -- it seems to hit everyone differently.

EXPECT TO GET FAT, I MEAN FAT

Lamictal is such a benign, weight-neutral drug. It is nice and calming, and makes other drugs more potent. You may not even feel it is there.

Z on the other hand is like a huge slap across the side of the head. YOU KNOW IT. It makes it impossible to have normal moods. It makes you fat, forgetful, unambitious, and generally a zombie.

At least, that was MY experience.

Give me Lamictal or give me death! It has been a year of paradise with it and I wouldn't trade it for god damn Z for anything in the world.

My uncle is a very respected medical professional and he "gave me permission", as did my own pdoc, to drink in moderation (and I'm a small woman, so moderation is moderation) on Lamictal but NOT on Z, and especially not on the combo. Yuck! Z sucks!

It would be better, in my humble opinion, to have some Abilify on hand for prn mania use than any other AAP. It is more gentle and really whacks the shit out of my mania. Or Seroquel, since you'll sleep until kingdom come and won't have energy to be manic  ;)

loon

Archived