CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Persona_Is_Life

How are you when it comes to personal hygeine.

While I was in college, I will admit that I didn't really even bother to do simple things like brushing my hair (and I have hair that's medium length/on the longer end of medium rather than short hair).  I also would rarely shave and sometimes didn't even bother to wash my hair or anything.  Pretty much the only "grooming" I did back then was wiping my rear end..... and brushing my teeth assuming I didn't forget for some reason which happened at times.  I did generally shower but only because I've enjoyed showering and have found the falling water to be quite meditative.

If I was going to work, I had slightly better grooming (e.g. would make a halfhearted effort at combing my hair)..... otherwise I probably generally appeared quite disheveled and possibly even "crazy" much of the time.  However, now I pay a lot of attention to my grooming and appearance.  Not only do I comb my hair and all now, but I even bother to do things like using conditioner and making sure it is combed properly.  In the past, it wasn't so much that grooming was something I was averse to.... just that my mind was otherwise occupied and I didn't feel the need to bother/would just forget about things like brushing my hair.

Edited by Steve223

I haven't showered, bathed, washed, or combed my hair, or brushed my teeth in a year.  I can't stand the way I look or feel.  I've gotten fat because I'm in too much physical pain from auto accidents to work out.  If I didn't have the responsibility of caring for my dogs, I'd have killed myself seven years ago. As soon as they die from old age, I'm done.  I'm not sticking around to see how many other assholes can get away with hitting my car and not suffer any consequences.  I hope the motherfucker who broke my back in a hit and run comes back from Afghanistan as a quadruple amputee who's in excrucuiating chronic pain for the rest of his miserable life.

I love to take baths. In fact I’m in the tub as I write this. I think it’s the one thing that keeps me fighting to live another day. I hate combing my hair, brushing my teeth, putting on nice clothes. I spend tons of money on clothes and makeup, but rarely use them. Never feel worthy enough.

Edited by ginger_flybaby

Normally, I'm pretty good about it, but that's usually in the context of working 40+ hours a week, so I don't put too much weight on that. When I have a lot of time to myself ― like the past couple days ― hygiene compliance gets a little dicey. Like, right now, it's not potent enough to peel wallpaper but I ain't no rose neither. It's just very hard to get motivated around the holidays.

I'm good about taking a shower, and I brush my hair, and I brush my teeth... but beyond that, I'm not that great at self care. Unless my husband dresses me, I look like I dressed myself in the dark. My husband does the laundry, and even then I sometimes still wear items that haven't been washed because dressing myself takes so much energy that I just grab whatever is in front of me. I don't do my hair beyond brushing it, I don't wear makeup, I rarely shave my underarms or legs (if I shave my legs, it's a victory). It makes me feel dowdy and sometimes I wonder what my husband sees in me, especially when I see how immaculately groomed other women are, but he doesn't seem to mind my fuzzy legs. 

I thought it was just me!  I can not maintain the level of personal hygiene that I did a year ago, and at this time my personal hygiene had dropped dramatically.  

For the past week i have been trying to shower every other day and wash my hair.  It’s the most difficult goal that I have for myself right now.

but!  I can not and have not been able to maintain daily oral hygiene in almost 6 years....what started it was being hospitalized for 7 consecutive weeks, then bed bound for 6 months.  Why?  because a surgical error was made during closure and an operating room infection was contracted. 

Limited mobility has returned, but is a daily effort!  My teeth have suffered tremendously and I have suffered physical, emotional and psychological pain, in excess. But, I still can not bring myself to brush my teeth!  I just asked myself when was the last time i brushed my teeth? I honestly believe it’s been at least 10 Days!  

I wish that I could understand and change this about myself!

I've developed a few indicators, simple yes/no type questions that really only have 2 answers so they are not open to interpretation.  I use them to gage and warn myself about my mood and functioning. Hygiene is one of these indicators.