CrazyBoards.org

You can see in my sig what I'm taking. I hope to be off the depakote asap because I do worry about any lasting effects on my liver. Which makes me worry even more about alcohol. Do you drink while taking *any* meds?

I'm not talking about a lot... I love wine, and like to have a glass (and sometimes +half) after the kids go to bed. We frequently tend to feed the kids first, and then make dinner later for ourselves. I just find it sooo hard to give up having a glass. No hard stuff. And not necessarily every night, although I just find it a relaxing way to destress.

Your experiences.... ?

I am on Depakote and have taken Zoloft. I try to avoid all alcohol, I may have a white wine spritzer on a special occasion if someone pushes me to drink, but I abstain otherwise. I too like a glass of wine to destress, but with Depakote I end up having one and feeling hungover like I had six the next day! I don't think my long term health is worth risking.

I can't speak about the effects of Depakote (and your other meds) for certain but I know if I have more than a couple of drinks I can feel pretty crappy the next day.  And sometimes even if I do only have a little I still might feel a bit down and fuzzy--not as clear as normal...whatever that means, heh.  but I am altered, somehow.  Perhaps if I had the alcohol during the day and got it out of my system before bed I wouldn't wake up and feel that way? I don't know.

Anyway, I think it's probably different for everyone.  I also think there are many people on the board who drink and take meds.  I would suggest if you want to, just try it out slowly with a small amount and see how you feel the next day.

Karen

Yeah, alcohol is pretty self-limiting for me, too. Nasty hangovers, feeling like crap the next day, the not so subtle reminder that alcohol *is* a depressant. I can have a drink or two with lots of water inbetween and be okay. More than that is just not worth it. Payback's a bitch.

Interesting. I wasn't even thinking about the "payback" effect, which I haven't had. Maybe it's because it is usually several, or at least 2, hours before I take any night meds; I drink my wine with food; and I'm just talking about a glass or a little over.

Perhaps if I had the alcohol during the day and got it out of my system before bed I wouldn't wake up and feel that way? I don't know.
Imagining Karen, in her bathrobe and fuzzy slippers getting snockered at lunchtime... ;)

Suze

p.s. Foamy rocks! I have a Foamy t-shirt that says, "I hope you choke on your biscotti!"

Imagining Karen, in her bathrobe and fuzzy slippers getting snockered at lunchtime... ;)

Suze

p.s. Foamy rocks! I have a Foamy t-shirt that says, "I hope you choke on your biscotti!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And wouldn't that be even more funny considering I have a full time job.  I wonder what they'd think of me strolling in to work in my pjs with a 26'er of Stoli and some really good music to manically bounce around to...?  My workplace is very tolerant but I think they just might draw the line there.  Good mental imagery though!

Yes, Foamy is good...

Karen

I drink while on meds.  Not too big of a deal as long as you watch your alcohol intake and learn your limits.  The good part about it is that I get inebriated quicker, which means less $$ spent on alcohol.

I take 300 mg duralith and 15mg remeron, and i drink all the time. well, not all the time, but whenever I so choose.

i get drunk really fast, and after 2 hrs or so, I am so incredibly sober, and not even tequila shots could change it.

If you really want to try it, do it on a friday night, so you at least won't have to work the next day if its tragically bad. I can't see a single glass of wine every now and then being too awful though.

also, I used to drink on depakote, i was on 1g, and I actually found my tolerance increased amazingly. but as you've read a million times, YMMV ;)

You can see in my sig what I'm taking. I hope to be off the depakote asap because I do worry about any lasting effects on my liver. Which makes me worry even more about alcohol. Do you drink while taking *any* meds?

I'm not talking about a lot... I love wine, and like to have a glass (and sometimes +half) after the kids go to bed. We frequently tend to feed the kids first, and then make dinner later for ourselves. I just find it sooo hard to give up having a glass. No hard stuff. And not necessarily every night, although I just find it a relaxing way to destress.

Your experiences.... ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do everything bad to excess, including drinking. I don't have the same love of drink that I do of drugs, and I have drank rivers of alcohol over the years on ADs, benzos, painkillers. Almost died a couple of times with the painkillers as they had a barbituate component. Past History.

Now, once in awhile I'll have a few drinks and it makes me feel worse thank before. So, since I've put my mental health first after nearly killing myself SOBER, I just think I'm better off staying away from alcohol period. I really think alcohol fucks with the efficacy of the psych drugs, whether we think we feel it or not. Or are unlucky enough to really feel it and get really sick.

My 2 cents worth. But again, I'm a fiend. An occasional glass of wine seems reasonable, just not within my realm of understand how you "normies" do that.  ;)

I usually have a beer in the evening around 5 -6pm.  My parents always had the "cocktail hour" after work, and it was always fun.  We'd laugh and talk and then have dinner.  They never got intoxicated, just relaxed after a hard day's work.  So, I have that little habit ingrained, and it's sentimental.

I get a little relaxed from it... but it probably does not help my meds do their job.  I should probably try skipping the evening beer for a week or so and see how I feel.

I should probably try skipping the evening beer for a week or so and see how I feel.

I suppose I should too. I realized that today at the tdoc appt. He's a tad annoyed that the previous doc put me on such a high dose of xanax, which he says is now exasperating my depression. We were having a pretty good session, so I didn't want to blow it by being fussed at. He's gentle, so he wouldn't have been harsh, but still. I have just a little over a glass of wine left in a good bottle (well, I like it), and I'll have that tonight and then that's it for a while, and I'll see if there's a difference. Of course he's also changing my meds, so who knows what'll make me feel better.

Then again, in the end, does it matter? I stick with whatever works!

Heya,

Quit it in July when I got a real diagnosis and started taking real medication.

Back when I was on Prozac/Paxil I didn't notice any change in alcohol effects, but then I didn't notice much of anything with those two.

--ncc--

My uncle is the manager pharmacist. He always tells me that it depends on what I'm taking. I can't drink at all on an AAP, but can have maybe 2 or so drinks on SSRIs and mood stabilizers.

My mom freaks if she sees me grab a Hard Lemonade from the fridge, but I'm 27 years old and can drink if I want. It's my liver and my health.

I notice that for me personally, I can have 1 drink even on the AAPs, and up to 3 (spaced out over a few hours) on the SSRIs. Usually the mood stabilizers are in the middle at 2 drinks.

I think the trick is drinking when you are furthest from your last and next dose, and eat, and CHECK WITH YOUR PDOC first. My pdoc backed up my uncle and said I can drink in moderation.

This drinking in moderation seems to actually benefit me. I have a drink or so a week.

Archived