CrazyBoards.org

Do you work? (sort of a poll)

How many people here work consistently (full-time or part-time?) and how are you also able to also manage this condition successfully? Is your job high-level/stressful or is it a relief/distraction? Have you ever had to take medical leave, had frequent hospitalizations or have you ever been "let go" due to your issues?

Also: Do you live alone or with roommates or with your parents? Have great supportive friends that regularly check-in with you? Do you worry about losing your health insurance and being able to afford treatment?

I'm just curious how other people here cope.

6 minutes ago, cloudmonger said:

Also: Do you live alone or with roommates or with your parents? Have great supportive friends that regularly check-in with you? Do you worry about losing your health insurance and being able to afford treatment?

I can't answer the first question because I am not able to work. 

But for this question (in quotes above), I live alone in an apartment.  My parents are both supportive, but my mom is more supportive because she takes me to appts, understands why I need the appts, and can help me out with whatever with stuff, including stuff with MI -related things.  She used to be a teacher (or whatever the word) for NAMI, so she know a lot more than my father.  But he will drive me to some appts and things.  He just doesn't "get it" all when it comes to MI.

I have one person in my life that is incredibly supportive (that I don't pay to talk to me and help out).  And he knows just about everything about me. Not the details all the time, but from what he is learning from me he knows.  My sister has an idea about MI, but I don't talk to her enough to really know how she understands things.  Have a couple "friends" but only talk randomly about MI stuff to one of them because she has medical problems similar to mine, that could go either way, MI or not.  But AFAIK she  hasn't been diagnosed with any form of MI, except after she gave birth.

Yes!  I totally worry about losing health insurance.  Even though I don't think I ever will, I still stress out about when the renewal forms come out and I have to fill them out and get them back to them on-time.  (When I don't understand everything they are asking ... I usually end up calling but wait on hold for over an hour to get a rep to help).  And that the insurance people will change the rules of who can get whatever insurance.  I worry all the time about prescription insurance too.

• Like 1

How many people here work consistently (full-time or part-time?) and how are you also able to also manage this condition successfully?

yes.  and prior to now, it was without incident.  i hadnt' had an episode in seven years, so my work didn't know about it and i didn't have any special treatment.  now, i'm getting back from my second hospital stay in a four month period, with time off on short-term disability in between to enable me to do a PHP.  I've used up all  my FMLA hours and pretty much have to "just make it." That said,  my supervisor and her supervisor are giving me cases very slowly and checking  in to see how I'm doin g with them.  I slightly feel bad because I feel like an imposition, but their comment was something about how long i've been put in such high quality work.

Is your job high-level/stressful or is it a relief/distraction? Have you ever had to take medical leave, had frequent hospitalizations or have you ever been "let go" due to your issues?

yes on the high-stress according to most who know about it.  that said, it's also serving as a distraction/way to spend my time right now.  i'm not sure what i'd do if i didn't have it.  i recognixe that's not a healthy thought pattern, but it's honest. 

I live alone.  I have a handful of really close people and a larger collection of supportive people.  I wouldn't say either completely "check on me' in the sense of randomly stopping by, but they do make sure I'm  okay and have things to do.  I'm terrified about losing my health insurance because what I have is absolutely phenomental.  Like owing $0 on a highfive digit hospital bill phenomenal.

Thanks melissa72...are you on SSDI or some kind of longterm disability? What are some ways you've been able to connect with other people that understand MI (you have found good support groups I assume) I'm trying to figure out a plan because money is really tight. I'm unemployed at moment, currently pay out of pocket for psych stuff because insurance companies don't want to cover me. My only hope is trying to go back to fulltime employment & having a group health plan but the problem is, I'm unable to consistently work full-time for more than a year or two without a crisis. I'm able to work for certain periods but need long breaks. It's very disruptive and makes it near impossible to build a real "career"

I'm afraid that I will have to come off medication and won't be able to afford a weekly therapist. Wondering how people here do it? When you have a debilitating mental illness and need to go for long stretches without any care or treatment.....

39 minutes ago, cloudmonger said:

Thanks melissa72...are you on SSDI or some kind of longterm disability? What are some ways you've been able to connect with other people that understand MI (you have found good support groups I assume) I'm trying to figure out a plan because money is really tight. I'm unemployed at moment, currently pay out of pocket for psych stuff because insurance companies don't want to cover me. My only hope is trying to go back to fulltime employment & having a group health plan but the problem is, I'm unable to consistently work full-time for more than a year or two without a crisis. I'm able to work for certain periods but need long breaks. It's very disruptive and makes it near impossible to build a real "career"

I'm afraid that I will have to come off medication and won't be able to afford a weekly therapist. Wondering how people here do it? When you have a debilitating mental illness and need to go for long stretches without any care or treatment.....

You're welcome ... yes I am on SSDI long-term, rest of life.  Unless some miracle happens sometime in my life so I don't need it anymore, but I am just about 100% positive that that will never happen given all the crap related to MI and how it is all intertwined with the medical stuff, and with all the med adjustments, and waiting awhile for them to work. The meds alone seem to be a never-ending story that changes every direction I go in.

No, I do not go to support groups I don't go because I tend to compete with others (subconsciously) and find I actually get worse when I go to them.  When I was IP years ago, even at those group meetings I felt like I was competing to be the "worst," when I didn't even want that because I wanted to get discharged ASAP.  So, no, groups are out for me.

Why don't insurance companies want to cover you?

Have you checked Medicaid for health insurance, or another one that your state has (specific to the state)?  You'd  have to google that though ... I would google, ie, "(your state) health insurance" or "(your state) medicaid" to start out with. (I am assuming you live in the US)?

Also have you looked into SSDI as a source of income?  If you got that, then you'd have some income at least.  You contact the SSA and they'll send you stuff to fill out. I think it is worth a try.

I can understand that it makes it very difficult and disruptive to work, whether full-time or part-time.

I would look into prescription insurance in your state also.  Maybe google, "(your state) medication insurance" or something like that where it could lead to other, more helpful, sites.

And you are right ... it isn't good when you have MI and need to go for long stretches of time without and any care or treatment.

4 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

You're welcome ... yes I am on SSDI long-term, rest of life.  Unless some miracle happens sometime in my life so I don't need it anymore, but I am just about 100% positive that that will never happen given all the crap related to MI and how it is all intertwined with the medical stuff, and with all the med adjustments, and waiting awhile for them to work. The meds alone seem to be a never-ending story that changes every direction I go in.

I can understand that it makes it very difficult and disruptive to work, whether full-time or part-time.   And you are right ... it isn't good when you have MI and need to go for long stretches of time without and any care or treatment.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Yes, I always wonder how the heck people can work/function all the time....when you are trying different meds/dosages, tapering off meds, going to all these doctor appointments every week, often not sleeping, and never feeling much better.....etc etc.

I get denied from insurance due to medical history/pre-exisiting conditions. I have not looked into any kind of Disability insurance because there are long periods when I can work and I can function. I've heard you have to go through long trials to "prove" you are gravely disabled and completely unable to work if you try to get disability? Many people I've heard are in really bad shape and yet they still get denied disability insurance (seems like mental illness is not considered as disabling as a physical disease, it's not seen as "terminal" or anything).

I get what you mean with support groups - I don't compete with others (that are worse than me), but it often makes me feel worse because all you hear about is terrible problems/struggles others are having and then you begin to feel like there really is no hope or way out.

Many people get denied SSI/SSDI on the first go around and then have it granted on appeal.  I'm not saying you definitely would, but it's something worth thinking about.  For the appeal portion, it helps to have a lawyer, who usually agrees to have you pay nothing upfront and then recover some fees if you're granted backpay.  Also not a guarantee, but it fairly frequently happens.

A history of being unable to work consistently in theory could get you qualified, so it might be worth considering.

My apologies if you've exploredd all this already.  You're right that MI is sadly treated differently, but it doesn't make it impossible necessarily. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cloudmonger said:

I've heard you have to go through long trials to "prove" you are gravely disabled and completely unable to work if you try to get disability?

When I applied for SSDI I had been IP so many times for months at a time, was on very sedating medication (to keep me from ODing when out of the hospital), and was like a zombie.  I do remember having to list a lot of MI stuff, to prove that I had been hospitalized and diagnoses etc and that I couldn't work (which was proven over the year before that).  I think that most of my info came from psych records when IP. 

My mother helped me out so much during that time that I don't remember what it all took to get me SSDI.  I do remember it was taking a couple months for an answer (which I know isn't too long, but at the time we didn't know that), so my mother called whomever (someone in charge of the SSDI process), and she and he talked and got me approved right then.  Never had denials.  And then because I had been disabled for over a year, I got retro payments for the year before.  They couldn't pay retroactively for the 2 years I was disabled beforehand. (was an SSA rule).

So unless the rules have changed (which they probably have), what you say is true.  It could be different now though, so I still think it is worth looking into.

16 hours ago, cloudmonger said:

How many people here work consistently (full-time or part-time?) and how are you also able to also manage this condition successfully?

I have always worked full-time since not long after getting out of college except for periods between jobs - but I have only lost a job once due to MI despite being very symptomatic for periods in here. I can't say I manage my MI successfully - there's been good periods I have been pretty non-functional, including at work - but I've had employers that have put up with a lot, and have generally just managed to pretend to function enough to get by.

Is your job high-level/stressful or is it a relief/distraction?

My job is structure, it is a reason to get showered at least every other day and to get out of the house and attempt to do things at all. It is not stressful really except close to deadlines.

Have you ever had to take medical leave, had frequent hospitalizations or have you ever been "let go" due to your issues?

I have had to take sick days for the two times I have been IP this past summer, but aside from that I have taken no time off at all due to my MI.

Also: Do you live alone or with roommates or with your parents?

I currently live with my parents, mostly out of convenience, but I have lived on my own in the past, including when I have been very symptomatic.

Have great supportive friends that regularly check-in with you?

I have no friends where I live here, but I have been in close contact with a friend living on the East Coast so I have someone who knows what is going on with me on a more day to day basis (as there are many things I am unwilling to tell my parents).

Do you worry about losing your health insurance and being able to afford treatment?

No. Even if I lose my job, which seems highly unlikely at this point since my manager at the company I work at likes me quite a bit and has just extended my contract for another year, I have enough money socked away which, combined with unemployment insurance, would last me quite a bit and which would pay for COBRA.

17 hours ago, cloudmonger said:

How many people here work consistently (full-time or part-time?) and how are you also able to also manage this condition successfully? Is your job high-level/stressful or is it a relief/distraction? Have you ever had to take medical leave, had frequent hospitalizations or have you ever been "let go" due to your issues?

I have never held a job for longer than 6 months. Its pathetic but its my reality. 3 years ago I applied for Disability after the psychologist in IP recommended I do so, and was approved without any denials. It only took 3 months to get. I just quit my 3rd job after being there only 1 month. But heres the thing: I am a student about to graduate with my Bachelors degree in Social Work (a lifelong passion of mine) I DO plan on working again, within my area of interest. You see, those crummy part time no college degree required retail/grocery jobs SUCK for people like me. 

I live alone in my own apartment. I have a good group of supportive friends who visit me, help me clean, etc. 

I have medicaid and my parents insurance for now, and when I get my Social Work job I am sure I will get employee benefits. 

• Like 1

I've had 8 jobs I the past 3 years always part time, but I've never stayed at one place for longer than 9 months. I work part time at a grocery store right now and I'm already wanting a change. I don't know why I'm so unable to stay content in one place. I know at least one of them was cause i was manic and it was a boring job. I quit in an email...not super professional. I'm worried I won't be able to hold onto this job for much longer since I'm becoming unstable again. Or at least more unstable, I don't think I've ever really been stable. I've already given up in school and dropped out, and I think the only thing keeping me from just not showing up to work is thinking of letting my coworkers down and making people mad at me.

One more thing about working that I just thought of ... I can do random things like clean or something, but when I commit to doing something, it stresses me out and I feel pressure (even if there is none).  And I find myself becoming symptomatic and unstable again.  I wouldn't have been if they'd not asked me to specifically do a certain thing.

ie, When I was babysitting years ago, when the kids were sleeping or somewhere other than with me, I would clean up the house (just pick up all the toys and stuff), put dishes away, etc.  Little things, and the parents appreciated it. 

However ... when I was specifically asked to do these few things and make a commitment to something, I felt pressure (in general) and like I was writing above, and would start to become unraveled and symptomatic again.

When I was working at the childcare place in a health club, I loved it.  I did make a commitment, and it was working at first, i knew everything I had to do, take care of the kids, do the schedule of when people were coming in to drop the kids off, cleaning after the kids were gone for the day, etc.  Then one day my boss came down after everyone had gone, and wanted to promote me to another position.  When she asked that, it set my mind off and soon after she asked me that, I stopped working there.  Knowing she wanted me to go to another position, where I wouldn't be doing what I knew, I just couldn't do it.  And knowing she wanted me in a higher position stressed me out because every time I went to work there, I was afraid she would ask again. 

So anyway, any commitment I make I just can't do.  But if I did it because I had time to do it, without being asked, I was better off.  This concept still lasts in current situations.  I can't work, but in general I can't make commitments or else I will become stressed and will become symptomatic again.

On 10/25/2016 at 4:48 AM, cloudmonger said:

I worked a "part time" 39 hour a week job.   Very simple stuff and because it was I did "ok"  Then the place closed and I have done an EBAY selling stuff thing from home that worked up until I started getting into the middle of some insurance nightmare that just takes up my time and wipes out my mind.  Appeals, court, lawyers - very depressing to learn how this system all works.  Interesting you ask because my SO asked me when I'm going back to making an income SIGH...  Which really makes me feel guilty but this is like level 10 stress.

On 10/25/2016 at 5:48 AM, cloudmonger said:

I was laid off in August, but am currently full time looking for jobs. I worked 40 hour weeks, welding, on rotating shifts (11pm-7am for a week, 3pm-11pm for a week, 7am-3pm for a week) and it was a rough adjustment because of the heat (my meds make me sensitive to heat, and I was before that, and welders must be fully covered from head to toe, no skin exposed, I live in Southern Ontario, it gets very hot and humid, we had the hottest summer on record, up to 110 F out.. After 2 days I was flipping out because it was so hot (I started on afternoon shifts, 3pm-11pm, the worst ones) and worrying about making quota, everytime my boss came by I'd think "Oh, I'm fired" but he'd usually just come to chat (since we all had our own welding bays and most of us worked alone) and bring me a Gatorade or tell me it was time for break. I miss it there. I had been a full time student under much more stressful conditions before that job. It was very relaxed.

Is your job high-level/stressful or is it a relief/distraction?

I find welding relaxing, but I am pretty new to it, and during high production times, there is stress, but my teacher and bosses told me to calm down, I'm the one being hardest on myself. It is a great distraction, it keeps me busy, social, funny stories, we are a bunch of smartasses and laugh a lot, I eat more regularly and better, it keeps me focused, I sleep better, and I don't get restless. It keeps me occupied. I'm going nuts not working. It's also a relief to know I have more money in the bank.

Have you ever had to take medical leave, had frequent hospitalizations or have you ever been "let go" due to your issues?

I have in the past many times, but I had been switching meds, symptomatic, juggling school and part time shitty jobs. I was not stable. I finally got my pdoc's permission to go back to school (Sept 2015) and go work full time. I am looking for an apprenticeship (earn while you learn) or paid training. This is my first "career" job. I enjoy it much more than any other field I've worked in. (Customer service, greenhouse, IT)

I have a supportive roommate who has helped me a lot through bad times. She protected me from an abusive ex and is helping me through a really bad time right now (which is why I'm grateful I'm not working, long story short, sexual assault case goes to trial in 3 weeks and I have to testify, along with 9 others, legally I can't say more than that) My mom is my rock, she encouraged me to get into welding. I'm in contact with my welding teacher, who urged me on, "tough love" (best way to treat me) I don't need to worry about benefits because I'm Canadian and have socialized healthcare. I'm also on Disability, and in Canada, they encourage you to work (insert complicated formula about how much they reduce in cash benefits to how much you earn) but i will always have the drug and dental plan. 

Right now I'm a bit.. whacky because of the court stuff, so I'm taking it easy, not searching for jobs so much. It's also the time of year I go crazy. I haven't been IP in a couple days over 3 years. I'm not in an episode, but I am anxious, and a bit angry, and dreading going to court. I'm glad I don't have to explain to work why I'd need the time off (I'm biologically female and pass as female 1/2 of the time, right now I am very dysphoric due to the assault... and I'm generally the only woman where I work, at least in welding, but the guys test the waters for a few, then I'll joke around, and then the ball busting starts.

I've learned you need to have a sense of humour about yourself in the skilled trades, we laugh a lot. Had some good laughs at my first job. At school, same thing, ball busting. People say I'm more opened up now, I've come out of my shell, I'm less shy, but I curse a fuck of a lot more. Oops. :)

This is pretty fascinating (and impressive to me) how people here can be very symptomatic yet show up at a job everyday, hide your illness all at the same time (without performance issues or getting let go)! Although I seem to be older than most here (graduated college 17 years ago, way too old to go live back with my parents or be supported by them) but I've worked the gamut of retail, barista, customer service, administrative, project mgmt, etc etc and not sure what to try for next.

I really struggle in the corporate 9-5 type office job (especially when you have a micromanager as a boss) and I'm completely burnt out working any kind of service job where I have to deal with general public all day.......NOTHING seems to interest me, I get bored so easily once I learn a job (and I can't stand tedium) yet if something is too challenging/stressful/detailed I begin to have anxiety & worsening symptoms. I can't seem to figure out what kind of career to work towards anymore. Tough to make a change midlife. Doing something is better than nothing though.

Edited by cloudmonger

At various times I have worked at horrendously weird hours (i.e. expected to come into work at 9 am, actually coming in at 1 pm on a regular basis), had major performance issues (think spending months at a time unable to do much at all), barely hid my MI at all (I wonder whether anyone at my current job has noticed my depression, with me so obviously walking very slowly and talking very quietly, even though they should have guessed because people seem to have realized I was IP twice), and so on. At many other jobs I would have been let go pretty quickly. (One job let me go due to my MI, but waited two months of me being completely non-functional before doing so.) But I had been/have been kept on because my manager knows how well I do in the good times or when hypomanic, and had been/has been pretty much waiting for those times to return.

I cannot see myself doing anything other than programming. I would hate to work in a service job or in management or even in an IT job. (Yes, a major goal of mine is to avoid being promoted into management, ever.) Well, I might be able to tolerate a factory job; I worked in one once, and it was okay.

One thing about me is that I feel intensely worthless when I cannot function at work, and being that symptomatic without a job would almost certainly make me feel even more worthless. Yes, I judge my self-worth by my ability to work, unfortunately. I see myself as a programmer and as practically unable to do anything else - if I can't program, what can I do?

I work full-time, and I work very long hours. 

During an inpatient stay this year I was able to stumble across a medication combination that worked well for me with minimum sedation and cognitive deficits. I still have symptoms, but they are much milder and do not last for as long as they used to. I would not be able to work suffering severe depression or mania as I cannot read even when hypomanic, and my previous medications greatly impaired my ability to process information. 

I work too much and that needs to change, but work has always been a coping mechanism for me. When I'm upset or distressed (even if it's about work), work calms me down. I benefit a lot from being able to be in the workforce. My work is high stakes (billions of dollars for international clients and projects ending up in major newspapers more often than not) and I think that actually helps me, as I feel like I can still live a life that pre-bipolar me would have found interesting. 

As I have said, I am lucky that I can work now but know this is not a given. I was hospitalized so often and was so disabled that I was forced to drop out of college. I did manage to get back and graduate, but do not take things for granted. I consider myself lucky.