CrazyBoards.org

fucking PCs!

Okay.  I took out the hard drive.  I put a new hard drive in.  I reinstalled WinXP (which hasn't figured out it's a pirate yet).  I have an antivirus program running.  I'm in the slow, tedious process of downloading all my other favorite programs (Spybot et al) over my dialup connection.  And I KEEP GETTING THESE STUPID MESSAGES.  Are they even LEGITIMATE?  Where the hell are they coming from?  This computer's been alive for an hour.  Frig, man... 

I love my iBook. 

post-202-1137459006.jpg

post-202-1137459049.jpg

They're easily as legit as the people trying to sell you Viag ra and Cia lis through email. ;)

Messenger service is a background task that automatically loads with XP. Anyone with your IP address can send you messages and this is just another form of spam. There are programs that hit one IP after another with messages.

Typically if the port is open, it'll log it and send you one about every five minutes.

To get rid of it, go into your control panel, administrative tools, component services, Services (Local). Then scroll down to messenger and disable it.

That should fix your problem. It's completely unnecessary to you using the internet in any way.

(Assuming you're running XP Pro. If not, lemme know and I'll boot my XP Home box and check how to do it in there)

They're easily as legit as the people trying to sell you Viag ra and Cia lis through email. ;)

To get rid of it, go into your control panel, administrative tools, component services, Services (Local). Then scroll down to messenger and disable it.

That should fix your problem. It's completely unnecessary to you using the internet in any way.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Seldarin.  My life is suddenly a little more peaceful. 

Apparently my brother set up and installed my antivirus program, but didn't activate it.  (Never trust someone to do something you can do yourself.  Never.  No matter how busy you are.  *smacks self in head*)  Now programs on my PC keep disappearing (Paint was the first one I noticed), I can't actually INSTALL anything (it'll look fine, go through the steps, but at the end, said program doesn't function or even exist), I can't maintain a connection to the internet, and the cursor does this weird thing whenever I try type a word or two where it will randomly jump behind the letter I'm typing, so at the end of a line I have this little backwards selection of letters which belonged in the text before it.  What the fuck is this, and what can I do about it? 

-ella the ignorant

There are a few viruses that can cause that.

It's hard to diagnose specifically which without the running tasks list.

If you can download programs at all, try http://free.grisoft.com/

If the .exe file headers are corrupted, that might be a real problem. :/

System restore might also get rid of it.

Failing all of that, it might require a reinstallation. :/

Archived