Hi all,

can someone let me know the typical dosage range for risperdal and at what doses you've found it effective/for what?

its currently helping out at some level (though possibly causing the munchies, I'm blaming that as a learned seroquel behavior).  I'm definitely not stable though and wonder what migrating it upward would do.  (For those on a phone, I'm at 2mg.)  I think that it's helping with the mood component of what's going on and there's some antipsychotic impact though not 100%.  

I obviously have a slew of other options, but my psychiatrist usually considers my thoughts (if he is considering something), so I'm trying to learn more.

I was on Riserdal Consta, 37.5mg/2 weeks, which is about 2.5mg a day. Switched off it, now I take 3mg (2mg AM, its activating for me, 1mg PM) and its effective. Pdoc doesn't want to raise the dose unless necessary. I believe max daily dose is 16mg, but generally, for SZ, SZA or BP, is around 2-6mg/day.

• 1 month later...

the most i've been prescribed was 12 daily, but that's after i had discontinued and tried to go back on. i had to take more to have the same efficacy. then i started getting leaky boobs and that ended that.

originally, if memory serves, which it might not...i was at 10 and it worked super well. perhaps too well given i decided i didn't need it anymore and it wasn't doing anything so stopped it. then when i restarted at ten... yeah, up to 12 and then unbearable side effects ended that journey.

as for range depending on dx or other things... for context, my dx is paranoid schizophrenia

thanks melli.  I didn't realize it could go that high.  It gives me some comfort that there's room to play with since I'm only at 3mg.  My psychiatrist seemed reluctant to raise it  at my last appointment (and we decided not to).  I don't know what's going on there.  Mine's bipolar 1 w/ psychosis.  I think right now we're using it for the psychosis piece which is why I'm surprised it's not higher.  But I've only got one possible delusion going on so maybe that's why?