CrazyBoards.org

Involuntary Commitment

So one day when I was talking to my pdoc, and he was asking me if I was safe and if he needed to have me committed. And it got me worried because the last time I was in, it was when I was a minor and for a week. It cost my parents somewhere near $10,000.

What I'm wondering is, if I'm involuntarily committed, do I have to pay for it? Like, can they force me to pay for treatment that I don't want? Because I literally can't afford that and don't want to push it off on anyone else.

This is a great question ... I've never thought about it before. 

I have never been gone IP involuntary.  I do think that you do have to pay for involuntary admission IP ... I think insurance would cover it  ... BUT if no insurance ... the hospital would most likely have something where you can get free care, or free partial care.  If you call the hospital, you can ask about it.  Not sure if every hospital has this, but I think it is worth to ask.  Or you could ask a social worker there to help you out with that if you go IP and don't have a chance to call the hospital.

It depends on your income if you are qualified to get either the free care or partial free care.

Also, FWIW and IMO, I wouldn't go involuntary ... whatever the situation.  It means you are required to spend about 10 days minimum IP, and can't get out before that.  I don't know if you can discharge yourself AMA or not though.  Going voluntary, you need to be there for 3 days minimum and IME things are just "better" that way.  For me I didn't feel "stuck" there.  They could keep you longer, but IMO it is better than the 10 days.

YMMV though.

Yes you have to pay.

Insurance will cover it if you have insurance, but you may pay out-of-pocket costs that can vary wildly depending on the hospital and your insurer. Important warning: If you ever discharge yourself AMA, your insurer might not cover the hospitalization!

$10k is an unsurprising price for a week of hospitalization, inpatient hospitalization is always expensive as fuck. I've been hospitalized multiple times in the past year, half of which were for unusually long periods of time, and the amount of money my insurers have had to pay for this is absolutely stunning. Thankfully I have good insurance, which is expensive, but it kept the out-of-pocket costs affordable.

If you have no insurance and are paying cash, contact the hospital and notify them about your situation. They should be able to reduce the bill and/or set up a payment plan.

2 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Thanks for the tip!  I had no idea about that.

That's even true for medical hospitals.  My sister had a chronic condition where she would go the hospital when the pain was so bad she needed IV pain meds. She always wanted out of the hospital before they were ready to discharge her.  She would get into big fights with the doctor, and they would just remind her that if she left on her own, her insurance wouldn't pay.

• 2 months later...

Having to pay for an involuntary admission sounds not only ridiculous  but draconian also. If they are going to charge people who are refusing the same treatment they are paying for then prisoners should have to pay a massive bill when they're released from prison.

Just pointin' out the faults of a system that is taking advantage of the frail. At least over here in the UK, our care maybe inadequate but it's free hence no one takes advantage of us.

I was admitted twice involuntarily in the US, and each time the bill was $40,000-$80,000. I almost lost my insurance because I was admitted and had to withdraw from school, but thankfully my social worker and family were able to find a solution that kept my insurance. If I hadn't, I would have had to declare bankruptcy and would have been banned from re-entering the US. Brutal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, survivingbp said:

I was admitted twice involuntarily in the US, and each time the bill was $40,000-$80,000. I almost lost my insurance because I was admitted and had to withdraw from school, but thankfully my social worker and family were able to find a solution that kept my insurance. If I hadn't, I would have had to declare bankruptcy and would have been banned from re-entering the US. Brutal.

!!! That is a lot of money!  Did your insurance ever reimburse you for any portion of those bills? 

6 minutes ago, survivingbp said:

Insurance covered it all. I would be bankrupt if they hadn't. 

The issue was this - my university involuntarily forced me to withdraw from school because of a hospitalisation for mania. If I withdrew, I wouldn't have legally been a student anymore .That also meant I was ineligible for the insurance I was on, and had no backup because I wasn't a US citizen and was from a developed country with a fantastic government-run medical system.

My parents and academic administrators had to fight for me (I also would have lost my visa). Eventually, the mental health board at my university allowed me to take a "voluntary" leave on paper with admission requirements (including interviews) to return. This meant I could keep my insurance.

I was so sick when all of this was going on, I am horrified to think of what would have happened without such a proactive and determined family and dean. I would never have graduated, I would have been too snowed under in debt to ever enter the US, get a credit card, get a mortgage, maybe even a job. My life would have been ruined in many senses. 

Wow ... I am so glad you had people who helped you with the insurance situation. What a nightmare that would have been without their help.  You had a lot riding on that.

I am very glad it all worked out in the end.