CrazyBoards.org

Doctor Phobia Anyone?

I've had anxiety for a lot years (I'm only 22). However, I was always ok going to doctors' offices. I felt a sense of security because I was around doctors. However, that has changed dramatically. I'm now scared to death. I'm afraid of completely panicking and throwing up or doing something else to embarrass myself. I had an appt. today for a coloscopy (cervix exam), and chickened out and called last minute to cancel (after cancelling and rescheduling 3 times already).  ;)

Let me clarify the phobia though. I'm not at all afraid of the doctors themselves nor am I afraid of medical procedures (having blood drawn, etc.). I merely afraid of being in the exam room. I guess I feel trapped and that I can't escape (at least not without making a scene and humiliating myself). I'm afraid at the dentist too, but they know my situation and are very kind. They also hook me up to the laughing gas and I'm good to go!! lol.

Anyone else have this problem??

Jacki

Yup.

I end up spitting out tooth fragments rather than go get the damn things fixed.  That's just  dentists though.

Perhaps you could ask your pdoc about getting some kind of benzodiazapine to take before going in for medical procedures?  Actually, I've heard of OB/GYNs calling in a scrip for something to take beforehand if you have trouble with that kind of thing.

Oh I already have Xanax, and take about 1mg (more then I would normally) for the doc, but it's not quite enough. I wish they had laughing gas at the ob/gyn, then I'd be fine! lol When I was at the dentist last March I was shaking and crying and felt horrible panic. I was undergoing a 3 hour procedure (I was getting bonding done on several teeth). They hooked me up to the nitrous oxide machine and within minutes I felt more calm then I ever have lol. Felt wonderful, and I made it through the whole procedure without a problem. It also messed with my sense of time, so it didn't seem anywhere near that long. You should talk to a dentist about it, it's good stuff!!

Hi, I don't like going to the doctor at all.  Any doctor.  I'm not afraid, really.  I just don't like being that much the center of attention.  And I don't like not knowing what to expect, and I don't like picking up the stupid telephone to make the appointment in the first place, so I end up putting stuff off as long as possible. 

I'm scheduled to get a physical in Feb.  I haven't been to a GP in more than 10 years.  Already stressing about that. 

I'm sorry about this self-centered tangent.  I just wanted to say I kind of understand your reluctance about doctors and I'm glad your dentist is understanding. 

Archived