CrazyBoards.org

Anyone often experience constant, ruminating negative thoughts (They are not severe at all, and NOT having to do with self harm or suicide) but just constant negative thoughts about your situation/job/spouse/life that are difficult to distract yourself from?

These are not "racing thoughts", manic nor impulsive thoughts either - They are very repetitive thought patterns that get in the way of experiencing (or enjoying) the moment or noticing what is around you?

I think this is a common part of Depression, however, I've had certain doctors say this is a "Bipolar" cycling thing. What do you think? Is there a medication you feel helps with this?

Edited by cloudmonger

Not sure if this is the same thing you experience or not, but I'll say it just in case:

This has happened to me except the thoughts (from other "people") are interjected into my own thought process.  They can be regular good thoughts, but most of them are some sort of negative thoughts that I feel like I have to correct so people don't think I am actually thinking what was just put in my head.  I always feel like I am correcting myself.  These aren't racing thoughts, and not manic or impulsive.

What gets in the way of experiencing the current moment is when all these negative thoughts come into my head, and instead of focusing on what is actually going on, I am always correcting the thoughts because I don't want others to think badly of me.  I know this probably doesn't make sense, but it happens to me.

To this day, I have not found a medication that will get rid of ALL of the thoughts.  Some meds (APs) settle them down so they aren't as bad, and for whatever reason trazodone (for some reason this med at a specific dose of 200 mg), has gotten rid of them mostly.

I hope this helps!

yes, I periodically get into ruminative space about things, and have been suffering from this lately, where I am just thinking obsessively and unproductively about a particular situation, unable to get it out of my head (unless another upsetting situation presents itself, and then I can alternate obsessing about that!) I have a bipolar diagnosis, and have been cycling a lot lately, but I can't say whether it's a bipolar thing, an anxiety thing, or something else. For me, the rumination seemed to pick up when I went off of buspirone, which I had taken for years for generalized anxiety disorder, so I suspect that buspirone had some mitigating effect on the rumination.

• Like 1

When depressed, I definitely get stuck ruminating on situational factors and negatives (job loss, loneliness, the things I can't do, past mistakes, etc.)  I imagine we all have a mile-long list of ruminations, worries, and obsessive thoughts.

CBT has been helpful with identifying cognitive distortions.  A lot of my ruminating is all-or-nothing or catastrophic thinking: "I'm never going to get better."  "My life is ruined."  If I can catch myself thinking those kind of thoughts, it makes it easier to take a step back, re-frame the thought, or distract.  Mindfulness can really help with this, too.

I think meds can help take the edge off but also believe there's a lot of mental work we have to do ourselves and/or in therapy.

Edited by lifequake
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lifequake said:

When depressed, I definitely get stuck ruminating on situational factors and negatives (job loss, loneliness, the things I can't do, past mistakes, etc.)  I imagine we all have a mile-long list of ruminations, worries, and obsessive thoughts.

CBT has been helpful with identifying cognitive distortions.  A lot of my ruminating is all-or-nothing or catastrophic thinking.

I did years of CBT and found it to be the least helpful when I am negatively ruminating/obsessing on certain stressful circumstances (at least circumstances which I think I have some control to fix) I guess this symptom can happen whether you are depressed/bipolar/anxious....all of the above.

Trying to distract myself (and practice some DBT skills I've also learned in the past) hoping I can pull out of this downward spiral. At least it's not to the point of keeping me up all night, but it really has a strong hold on me right now...wanting to "fix everything" obsessing, obsessing...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Adolf
      "Best" as in being effective with fewer side effects. Which ones were the best for you? Which ones did you take? What condition(s) did you treat? What side effects did you get? How did the antipsychotics compare to "conventional" antidepressants?
      Can antipsychotics be an alternative to "conventional" antidepressants? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Do they make you a tomato with time? Psychiatrists prescribe them more often in recent times, it seems.
    • By Blahblah
      It's only Day 2 with no Effexor. I was taking 37.5mg for months, and then added Prozac 10mg for over 2 weeks. Then pdoc told me this was plenty of buffer time to stop it....
      I'm feeling super tired, MAJOR irritability, no appetite, nausea, all over body aches, some brain zaps. I had really hoped that my ridiculously slow taper (with Prozac) would eliminate this....Now on total lockdown, this is not helping the situation or my relationship!
      I know people are just trying to help here (with telling me other med combos to try) but honestly, after 25 years and 30+ medications I have no hope of anything being much better than this. I wanted to stop Effexor because of the apathy & sexual dysfunction, but I guess I can't get away from these side effects.
      Should I try to just endure a few more days or should I write my pdoc already and go back to taking 37.5mg?   I am so upset....I just want to be off these poison meds, they only numb you to where you eventually don't enjoy anything or care about anything. Then you become completely dependent & f'd up trying to taper off.
    • By Blahblah
      Have a strong itch to drop Effexor...(I won't go cold turkey). It stopped my dysphoric crying spells, but now, 10 months later, I'm feeling increasingly flat, apathetic, numb, no motivation (even after dropping to 75mg). I hate how all A/Ds have this lobotomy effect on me longterm. It's initially fine in acute episodes, I'm not sad now, but I can't function properly, and I continue to score Moderate-Severe on the depression scale.
      I think it's counteracting my Ritalin (which I increased to 30-40mg)? I don't want to increase Effexor above 150mg, I'd never be able to go off.
      I'm trying dosing at night instead, will this make any difference @mikl_pls ? I skipped yesterday's morning dose (then came the intense nausea, over stimulation & brain slosh awfulness @10 hours later) and I took my dose with dinner.
      I'm seriously considering going on low-dose mild SSRI instead (Prozac?) I'm sensitive to meds & side effects, and I'm also VERY worried about withdrawals. Especially from Effexor, they are the WORST, and I just read study that Effexor withdrawal syndrome is not dose-dependent:
      https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7402189_Venlafaxine_and_Serious_Withdrawal_Symptoms_Warning_to_Drivers
      https://metro.co.uk/2018/01/24/woman-shares-coming-off-antidepressant-ruined-life-7255570/

• By Blahblah
      Forgot to take Lamictal yesterday (I took my other meds). Holy Hell, I took my dose today (on schedule) and I STILL feel awful!!  I've only been on 100mg....I thought Lamictal had a super-long half-life? Yesterday went like this:
      10am - up, had breakfast
      11am – slight Brain “swishes” started (was out the entire day)
      12pm – Stronger Brain zaps start
      1:30pm – Lunch (meat, salad/veg)
      2:30pm – Sudden extreme exhaustion
      4pm - more brain zaps =>  ZAP ZAP ZAP! 🤯
      7pm - Irritability starts
      11pm – Tea, bedtime, could not fall asleep (I haven't had insomnia in 2+ years)
      ...Night sweats…Restless legs.....
      12am – Ruminations, feel weepy
      ..Insomnia ensues…(Toss & turn, sweaty/achey all night)
      It's now 12pm,and I am STILL having brain zaps! I worry I’ll never be able ever taper, switch from, or withdraw from this med. You probably think well, with MI, WHY would you ever go off it? For me, longterm, these meds are band-aids. There is always a price.  Ok, maybe great at preventing acute/severe depression, but as a result, they rob me of any spark, joy, elation, happiness, libido, sexual sensation/response, feelings of reward, love.... This disturbs me. I used to know what positive emotions felt like…
      So I’m stable, existing.....but still lacking will or any interest in living....
    • By Blahblah
      Good God, my habitual oversleeping is worsening.....I literally cannot get up before 11am. I know this is probably due to the fact that yes, I'm depressed and do not have anything of purpose at the moment to wake up for.....PLUS winter weather that's dark as Hell.....PLUS on a stupid stimulant break, until I can get in to see pdoc in 5 days.
      Are there any other tactics you've used?? I'm going to bed same time every night (by 11pm). I sleep really well entire night. WTF.
      I tried a sunlamp thing in the past and it made me headachey & irritable. Even when I go for walks during the day, it doesn't help.