CrazyBoards.org

arrrgggggg! help! psychiatrist!

*$^&()__+*^%$$V<

I've just seen my psychiatrist.....well. at least THAT'S over for another 3 months.....

There were 2 medical students observing...O the fun.....I did have the choice to have them in or not, but I thought what the hell, Occ Health dr, GP, psychotherapist, psychiatrist all in these 2 weeks, I may as well have some med students as well......

I'm to halve my dose of efexor. From 150mg per day, to 75mg.  straight away, no titration or gradual.....then after having 75mg day for a month, I'm to stop the efexor altogether......arrrrgggggg......

(mind you, he did say providing there's no deterioration of my symptoms...)

O, my, this is going to be fun.not.

I managed to get him to prescribe me some propranalol for panic attacks as needed...he was all into my learning coping methods....hell, I am doing all I can.....

besides, if he's reducing my efexor so drastically, I need SOMETHING to help me cope with all the withdrawal crap.

Arrrggggg..and I just got the sense that he was laughing at me inside all the way through....but maybe I'm just, ha, just, being paranoid.... :\

arrgggggg.

I'm to halve my dose of efexor. From 150mg per day, to 75mg.  straight away, no titration or gradual.....then after having 75mg day for a month, I'm to stop the efexor altogether......arrrrgggggg......

That's how my pdoc took me off Effexor - granted, it had made my blood pressure spike, so there was a reason to get me off of it as quickly as possible. The drop from 150 to 75mgs wasn't too bad. I was headachy, brain zappy, and depressed (more than usual) for a few days. Then the 75 mgs. was fine for the two weeks I was on it. However, going from 75 to 0 wasn't going to happen. So I called him and got a 7-day start up pack, so that I could go to 37.5 for a week before dropping to zero.

It sucked.  ;)   Without a doubt.

Fortunately, I was titrating onto Wellbutrin at the time, so things started getting a little better when that started working.

So, here's what I DIDN"T realize at the time. Part of the discontinuation effect of Effexor is huge rebound depression. I thought it was just me being completely unfit to live. But in doing some research, it has happened to many other people, too. If it happens to you, just keep reminding yourself that it passes. You are not defective. It's the drug.

Good luck and feel free to post or PM me if it gets awful.

Greeny

i'm almost in the same boat as u are. My pdoc is taking down from 150mgs to 75mgs but she gave me 3 weeks of sample packs and they contain the 37.5 split pill to help me titrate down to the 75 over a 3 week period. So i'm taking 112.5mgs.However I'm taking wellbutrin along with effexor so I'm not noticing anything unusual tapering down. Good luck!

thanks. ;)

I appreciate it, especially as I'm prob 'just another efexor story' in lots of people's eyes.....

sorry..am feeling generally p'd off with the NHS today....what with this guy and the medical students yesterday (nice med students, don't get me wrong...just it was an added anxiety I could've done without) and he zooms through things and makes me feel small and as if I'm not doing enough to cope with the panic attacks...bet he's never had one, bet he doesn't know what its like to feel overwhelmed and claustraphobic and unable to breathe....at work....around lots of members of the public....

...and then I have to wait to get the out-patient prescrip changed to a general one....another hassle I could do without right now...I'm really anxious about this withdrawal....

thanks. ;)

I appreciate it, especially as I'm prob 'just another efexor story' in lots of people's eyes.....

Trust me; those of us (me included) who have been through Effexor withdrawal would never see anyone as "just another Effexor story". It's freaking horrible! I was on Effexor 225 for 5 years, titrated off very slowly while titrating up on Prozac. I did okay with that. But I've had abrupt withdrawal due to my own stupidity, forgetting prescriptions, etc. IT SUCKS.

Why are you going off it? And are you going on other AD? Did you say this already? If so, sorry.

*$^&()__+*^%$$V<

I've just seen my psychiatrist.....well. at least THAT'S over for another 3 months.....

There were 2 medical students observing...O the fun.....I did have the choice to have them in or not, but I thought what the hell, Occ Health dr, GP, psychotherapist, psychiatrist all in these 2 weeks, I may as well have some med students as well......

I'm to halve my dose of efexor. From 150mg per day, to 75mg.

thanks.

I am on mirtazapine as well - been on 30mg since mid October when I was assessed by the psych. (refered to him by my very nice GP who I visited when I had a breakdown and felt very unsafe....)

I've been taking efexor for just over a year, end of Nov 2004. Started on 75mg and went up to 150 mid Feb last year.

Efexor didn't even TOUCH on my anxiety (and mirtazapine is only just helping me handle it) and I had awful insomnia.

I'm slightly less anxious on the 2, and have been sleeping really well for the first time ever....

I was refered as I said above for a med evaluation, as the efexor wasn't reaching the parts that other pills don't reach....and the plan as he outlined last time was that I would eventually come off efexor if discontinuation was relapse free. It was to have been a 6 week follow up, my 2nd appt with him yesterday, but it turned out to be 2 months, I guess with Christmas and that.

His view is that he doesn't need to see me often as I am in therapy 3 times a week...(yeah, but not talking about meds and that....) and I have a good GP. (who refered me to him in the 1st place because I needed someone knowledgable in psych meds, and anyway efexor can only be prescribed by a psych in the UK now)

But, yes, discontinuing my meds and no appointment for 3 months (and what's the betting that it'll turn out to be 4?)

But then he put me on the mitazapine last time and just left me to it....

On both its been tolerable but I've still had panic attacks, felt suicidal a few times over the Christmas break, and am still generally anxious...in addition to feeling nasueous almost permanantly and having zilch appetite....

The combo of efexor and mirtazapine, so he told me is the combo for long standing treatment resistant depression. yey me. so, yes, I have moments of feeling alive and ok and content, and I am sleeping...and therapy is going well, albeit painfully.....but who knows when the depression monster will strike again....

and I've been depressed and anxious all my life....is it any wonder that the prospect of recovery scares me?

*$^&()__+*^%$$V<

O, my, this is going to be fun.not.

if my pdoc did this to me i would require that he accompany me personally as i go through the withdrawal so that i might commincate to him my discomfort via the direct tactile impression upon his person of a high-rpm belt-sander. 

g

God, I am so sorry to hear you're going through this. What a complete bummer.

Besides saying the obvious (for god's sake, get yourself to another pdoc!) I have another thought. This may not be the place (and by now I'm sure I sound like an old tired record around here), but have you or your docs ever talked about the possibility of being somewhere on the bipolar spectrum? Just a few things you said made me wonder about this possibility.

Here is an excellent site for info on this: Mood swings without "manic" episodes: Bipolar II -- more than plain depression, but never delusional or psychotic. Also, someone today posted this article on a different thread here: http://health.msn.com/centers/bipolar/arti...entid=100119366

Might be worth checking out. I can say from personal experience that getting the right med can make a world of difference. I went for decades being treated with numerous meds for refractory depression (including 16+ years on Effexor). Only recently was dx'd as BPII; I'm now on Lamictal and feeling better and more stable than I ever had.

Also, even if not bipolar, some treatment-resistant unipolar depressions respond better to mood stabilizers than ADs.

Hey Nestling,

For me, once tried to drop from 225 to 150mg in one day and the WORST headache of my life and I am rarely affected my meds....

I'd take it very, very slow if I were you.  I'm sure it can be done....are you starting up on something else?? 

wellll this is it....just took the first 75mg pill.......

robotlove29, to answer your question, I am already on mirtazapine, 30mg, and am continuing with that.

revlow, for sure I have some traits of mild BP maybe....indeed I have borderline traits....the complication to possible diagnosis being that I am in intensive 3 times a week anlaytic and body focused psychotherapy, which means that I am slowly and I hope safely, getting in touch with my aliveness and good feelings....but its still early days....

after all, my life force has been depressed and blocked for years.....

and, grousemouse..... *eek* made me smile....*and shake at the same time*!

to change my pdoc is impossible....this is the area consultant psych I am seeing, and this be the UK and the NHS....

thanks.

I am on mirtazapine as well - been on 30mg since mid October when I was assessed by the psych. (refered to him by my very nice GP who I visited when I had a breakdown and felt very unsafe....)

I've been taking efexor for just over a year, end of Nov 2004. Started on 75mg and went up to 150 mid Feb last year.

The combo of efexor and mirtazapine, so he told me is the combo for long standing treatment resistant depression. yey me. so, yes, I have moments of feeling alive and ok and content, and I am sleeping...and therapy is going well, albeit painfully.....but who knows when the depression monster will strike again....

and I've been depressed and anxious all my life....is it any wonder that the prospect of recovery scares me?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You never went over 150mg of Effexor?  I'm surprised, from what I understand, the effects on norepinephrine don't usually kick in until 225mg or more.  150mg didn't do it for me. 

If we can be of any more assistance, feel free to ask!

thanks.

no, I never went over 150mg.....

and the psych put me on mirtzapine as well to kick in the norepinephrine.....which is just about doing it.....being as I'm still almost always anxious....

have been on 75mg 2 days now, and its going pretty much ok so far....just no appetite...but what's new...

Archived