CrazyBoards.org

I just cancelled my app. with therapist.I just cant muster up the effort to go in there and  re-hash my feelings again and again. Am getting 8 paid 1hr. sessions with him and have been 5 times. This due to 2 overdoses followed by hospital stays in pshyche ward.Anxiety runs through my veins like blood through other peoples. Finally the anxiety  molecules or whatever in my body ganged up and said lets hit this fucker with a severe depression and while were at it lets take away any good feelings he has for life. Yeah that will teach him! God Dammed brain! Well the pdoc ordered 3 to 4 months off work, said I need therapy to get better.  I get depressed just thinking about going for theapy. Only reason I agreed was to placate my pdoc. i realize it works for some people but just sitting there telling someone how crappy i feel only makes it worse for me when I get home. Honestly, I think I get more out of pouring over the posts here at CB and listening to old Queen songs I've downloaded.  I kind of feel sorry for the therapist, when I told him I didnt want to apply for more goverment assisted therapy, he looked at me like dont you like me or something. Anyway I'll see if I can get up the courage to re-book next week or else I'll just can the remaining sessions.

government assisted therapy?  you must be in Canada.  Here in the US, I pay $85 out of pocket for each session.

When pdoc ordered 4 mos off work, do you get gov't assistance then too?  That's how it should be, by golly.  man, the US sucks when it comes to health care.

government assisted therapy?  you must be in Canada.  Here in the US, I pay $85 out of pocket for each session.

When pdoc ordered 4 mos off work, do you get gov't assistance then too?  That's how it should be, by golly.  man, the US sucks when it comes to health care.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Libby: You guessed right, I am in Canada, Here we can claim sickness benefit from the govt. Its the same as collecting unemployment insurance however it is only 55% of your gross earnings for 50 wks maximum. Better for sure than nothing. My job gives me 4wks fully paid sick time each year but unfortuantely I've have used this all up being sick throughout the year. Maybe you should move to Canada.? Just kidding

I just cancelled my app. with therapist.I just cant muster up the effort to go in there and  re-hash my feelings again and again. Am getting 8 paid 1hr. sessions with him and have been 5 times. This due to 2 overdoses followed by hospital stays in pshyche ward.Anxiety runs through my veins like blood through other peoples. Finally the anxiety  molecules or whatever in my body ganged up and said lets hit this fucker with a severe depression and while were at it lets take away any good feelings he has for life. Yeah that will teach him! God Dammed brain! Well the pdoc ordered 3 to 4 months off work, said I need therapy to get better.  I get depressed just thinking about going for theapy. Only reason I agreed was to placate my pdoc. i realize it works for some people but just sitting there telling someone how crappy i feel only makes it worse for me when I get home. Honestly, I think I get more out of pouring over the posts here at CB and listening to old Queen songs I've downloaded.  I kind of feel sorry for the therapist, when I told him I didnt want to apply for more goverment assisted therapy, he looked at me like dont you like me or something. Anyway I'll see if I can get up the courage to re-book next week or else I'll just can the remaining sessions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you don't have a good fit with tdoc?

I've been in therapy for 2 years, once a week. See pdoc once a month. I have gone for looooong stretches of not *wanting* to go to therapy, but I go anyway. I made a committment to tdoc and myself. For me, I'd be dead--literally--if it weren't for him.

Crazyboards and Queen (moment of silence in memory of Freddy Mercury), are GREAT complements to your overall regimen, but therapy can be so valuable, and if you have it at your disposal it would be a shame to not avail yourself of the resource.

Rock on, and find a tdoc that works for you--or work through this issue with your current dude.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Suze

Libby: You guessed right, I am in Canada, Here we can claim sickness benefit from the govt. Its the same as collecting unemployment insurance however it is only 55% of your gross earnings for 50 wks maximum. Better for sure than nothing. My job gives me 4wks fully paid sick time each year but unfortuantely I've have used this all up being sick throughout the year. Maybe you should move to Canada.? Just kidding
Wow.  That is so generous, I can't believe it.  The Canadian gov't has compassion for human beings that is for sure!  There is no compassion down here.  It really pisses me off because my income taxes ought to benefit ME when I am down, but they don't.  If it weren't so cold, I probably would move to Canada.  Believe me, I have considered it, since I am a vilified and hunted minority as a gay person in the US.

Heya reco49,

I agree.  Sounds like you and this therapist aren't a good "fit."

My therapist and I were a rotten fit.

I'm just now to the point of calling to find another one.

My psychiatrist is a better fit for me, so far -- he and I see things in a lot of the same ways.  He has done more for me in three 40-min sessions (covered by OHIP) than she did in I think 8 sessions (I paid cash, that's $800 I'll never get back).  More in terms of boosting my self-image, reinforcing the positive things I've been working on, and being actively involved in my treatment.

There are a bunch of different kinds of therapy, and from what I can tell, therapists seem to specialize.

Think about asking your psychiatrist about this issue, if you're uncomfortable asking this therapist about it.  No use wasting the covered sessions you have remaning, when you might actually benefit from some other approach to therapy.

And Libby -- It's not all cold ... think about BC ;)

--ncc--

My psychiatrist is a better fit for me, so far -- he and I see things in a lot of the same ways.  He has done more for me in three 40-min sessions (covered by OHIP) than she did in I think 8 sessions (I paid cash, that's $800 I'll never get back).  More in terms of boosting my self-image, reinforcing the positive things I've been working on, and being actively involved in my treatment.
ncc, I'm so glad you got rid of that ASS of a therapist!  And I'm glad you did it on her machine, so that she couldn't try to guilt trip you.  What a freak she was! 

What's OHIP?

So, do you have a new psychiatrist now and you're beginning to look for a new therapist as well?

BC is beautiful... what's the weather like?  How can it not be cold way up there?

reco,

ncc has a good point.  depending where you are, MDAO (mood disorders association of ontario) can refer you to psychotherapists in your area which are 100% covered by OHIP.

i havent got up enough nerve to call (going on almost a year) but its definitely worth a try. 

beats paying $160/hr for the jerk i was seeing before.

i would look into this ...as im sure there are other associations in other provinces.

tal

I think a lot of folks overlook the fact that we crazyfolk are the customers here, and even if the money is coming from a government program and not from our own pockets, the pdocs and tdocs look to us for their livelihood.  They are not "doing us a favor" by seeing us.  We need not approach them like Oliver Twist asking for a little more gruel.  They have to sing for their supper like the rest of us, and if the singing is lousy, they can expect to go begging.  As the consumers, we are in command of the market; if the person we hire - yes, we employ them - does not perform to standard, then we are fully within our rights to fire them and employ someone else.  Eventually, this ought to result in the good ones being successful in business, and the bad ones seeking other work.

Now, of course it doesn't always work like that, and some of us consumers don't have the wherewithal to shop around much, and are obliged to work with what the government offers, but even then we should realize that the government money is coming from us as taxpayers, and as taxpayers we have a right to the effective performance of government services.  The services aren't "free"; we are simply paying the docs indirectly.  And as taxpayers we do not have to accept substandard or ineffective services, and we should not.  Nobody is going to look after our interests if we ourselves do not.

Loons of the world unite!

Cerberus (who has, in fact, been quite fortunate in his choices of docs over the years)

Hi, Reco,

I'm in agreement that you and your therapist are probably not a good fit at this time, and would like to point you in the direction of CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy). It's not about digging into your childhood, bad memories and bad experiences. Instead, it's a here and now kind of therapy that helps you identify negative thought and behavior patterns, and teaches you how to challenge and overcome them.

Yeah, I know, easier said than done! But it HAS been shown to work better than the traditional How-do-you-feel-about-your-mother therapy for depression. For many depressives, too much rumination and examination of the icky bad stuff gets us stuck right back there.

It might be the right thing for you.

Good luck.

Greeny

Heya MG,

I'll work on references.  Busy watching Law&Order right now (Mike, Stone, it's all good).

But, yes, CBT and IPSRT (interpersonal-social rhythms therapy) have research behind them for depression and (less so) in BP, and also in kids.

I have to go find my info from the conference I attended recently to give you up-to-date stuff, and will do so tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.

But, basically, it's CBT (Burns, Feeling Good -- Mind Over Mood is shorter, but I already owned Burns) that I've been doing *on my own* and that my psych supports. 

Having read a *lot* about BP as soon as I was dx'd, I knew CBT was more likely than others to help. 

Then that wacko therapist announced out-of-the-blue that she didn't "do" CBT, and that was the beginning of the end.

So yeah, reco, ask potential therapists if they know cognitive-behavioural therapy, because just from your posting, it sounds like you're the kind of person that would respond well to it.

The caveat is that it requires a *lot* of homework (which is actually a*plus* for people like me who liked school).

--ncc--

Archived