CrazyBoards.org

cymbalta dosage increase

My Pdoc wants to increase my cymbalta to 90mgs.. I called Lilly today because what I have read about cymbalta is that anything above 60mgs has been proven to be no more effective.. When I spoke with the doc from Lilly he said that the highest safe level is 120mgs.. but he said the same thing about the dosage of 60mgs.. He did say that in their research they had about ten % of people who responded to a higher dosage..

My questions are this: do any of you take larger dosages than 60mgs?? and if you do was there improvement?? I am a bipolar with a more swing of manic depression. But I do fly high on occasions.. My next question would be do you think a larger dosage would set off mania??

I take 400mgs of lamictal and it helps with mood stablizing, but every once in awhile depression breaks through. The other day I just started crying for no darn reason.. When I told my Pdoc he said that some of his patients respond better to 90mgs....

any help would be appreciated!!

Welcome,

I was bumped up to 90mg b/c I was still having anxiety issues.  90mg did work for me.  But I did still have nervous issues not your daily anxiety.  So my doc decided to put me on klonopin .5mg twice daily.  Since taking the klonopin I dropped my dose back down to 60mg.  I'm doing great where I am right now.  I would think its at least worth a try.  When I was deciding what to do my options werre to either increase to 90mg or change to another AD, which I did not want to do.  Thats really the only part I can comment on.  I woould suspect an increase in serotonin would help with depression.  I'm just not sure if the norepinephrin would be helpful or not.  Have you tried other ADs?  May I ask why you're rx klonopin?

By the way you should move this to the Non-SSRI Forum since your talking about an SNRI.  There will be more people over there who can help!

Thanks B

My Pdoc wants to increase my cymbalta to 90mgs.. I called Lilly today because what I have read about cymbalta is that anything above 60mgs has been proven to be no more effective.. When I spoke with the doc from Lilly he said that the highest safe level is 120mgs.. but he said the same thing about the dosage of 60mgs.. He did say that in their research they had about ten % of people who responded to a higher dosage..
I've asked my pdoc to raise mine up from 60, but he wouldn't (2 mos. ago). Then, I confessed somewhere here that I was abusing my Ritalin, and it was pointed out to me by one of our non-experts (but knows more than most pharmacists, and doctors I've talked to) who shall remain nameless  ;) that my Ritalin abuse was probably undermining my Cymbalta action.

So, taking this person's advice, I outed myself to my pdoc when off Ritalin, refused further stims for my ADD, and voila my Cymbalta at 60 is working as I would expect ti to.  BTW, don't be surprised if your question gets moved to the non-SSRI board, as Cymbalta is an SSNRI...see that board for further explanation...

FWIW...S9

I'm on 90 mgs and it seems to be working well.  I added Lamictal 2 months ago, so I want to talk to the pdoc about decreasing it back to 60 mg.  Bumping up to 90 mg did help with the depression, but I was a bit racey.  I painted my kid's bedroom and the stairwell in one day.  And then would follow with some break through depression and irritability; hence the lamictal which  has been the wonder drug for me. 

Cymbalta has been really good for me, but it did take a while to work through the side effects.  And do not ever skip a dose - especially after you've been on it a while -- you'll pay dearly!  It just makes you feel pretty bad if you skip doses.

I'm on 90 mg cymbalta and doing fine.  60 mg worked well for the first few weeks then pooped out on me. 

90 mg has been quite effective for my mood (out of the abyss ... back to dim dysthymic days) but really wiped me out.  Couldn't make it through the day without a nap. 

Taking C at night helped a little, but doc added provigil and now I'm able to function!  More alert than I've been in a loooooooong long time.

There is SO much info here on crazyboards.... I can honestly say that when in the darkest of days I found hope here.  I recommend you read through the old posts. Lots of information for MI folks, from MI folks.  I found it helpful to hear what meds others were on, any SE they experienced, what people thought of their treatments.

Good luck.

Icthus,

Is the only reason you want to bump up is b/c you feel it pooped out on you?  If so I'm not so sure it would help that much.  MOst of the higher doses are for pain associated with nephrology of something or other.  Since I'm been taking klonopin regularaly I decreased.  THe only reason I upped is b/c it wasn't totally helping my anxiety.  I was happy to go back to 60mg anway b/c Cymbalta is VERY hard on your liver.  If you can't stay where you're I'd wonder if another AD would be better for you.  My pdoc mentioned to me that Effexor could actually work better for me than Cymbalta if I was interested in trying.... but right now I'm fine so thats where I'm staying ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived