CrazyBoards.org

Recently got Epilim (sodium valproate) added to my list of meds.

Wanted to know how well it works...and what side effects anyone has experienced while on it.

Been prescribed for mania and i hear that it helps for headaches (which im getting from lamictin)

Heya Dylan,

I don't take it myself, but look around at the info/postings for "Depakote."  That seems to be the major US brand name for valproate.

There are lots of folks around here with experience of this med, and the different brands should be pretty similar (in Canada it's Epival).

Hope the combination works for you!

--ncc--

I took depakote for years; I started it to control AD-induced mania.  It worked very well.  Plus you can titrate up very quickly compared to other medications. 

Side effects to watch for initially: sedation and stomach & digestive pain.  The sedation and slow feeling should diminish a lot after a few weeks, and should resolve within a month or two.  Same with the stomach trouble, though you should always take it with food and if necessary with an antacid.  After some time you'll adjust to that, too.

Good luck.  Depakote is a first-line medication for mania and BPII hypomania; it's been around forever so pdocs know what side effects to look for.  Your pdoc will order blood tests for liver function and depakote levels; you'll get them frequently over the first month or two, then go to quarterly, and then probably twice a year, so long as you're stable.  Also, after you're stable, you can consider trying another medication if the depakote side effects don't ease up after a few months. 

Good luck and keep visiting; there's lots of support here.

Thanks guys

Definitly will check out the postings...

Hope i dont get too many side effects. The stomach one sound like shit.  Already feeling the sedation though. 

Hope it works. Had enough of the mania now.

cheers

Dylan

epilim and depakote are a little bit different but both digest to valproic acid so are really similar.

I take epilim for seizures and so far it seems to be working for that. The sedation has pretty much worn off after about two months and the only real side effect i have left is being really dumb, I keep studdering and losing my train of thought and t-a-l-k-i-n-g r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w: it takes me ages to get my point across.

Oh yeah and I haven't had a migraine since starting it either.

Archived