CrazyBoards.org

I checked the AD and sleep disorders boards on trazodone but I didn't see any BP posters there.  I'm interested whether any of ya'all have taken trazodone for sleep.  It's an SSRI which is frequently prescribed for sleep disorders, but I don't see many people taking it even on the AD and sleep boards, whereas I remember some folks on this board do use it.

I've been doing OK on ambien for a long time, but I now find it makes me dopey the next day, especially if I snack late, which I tend to do.  My pdoc gave me a scrip for 50mg of trazodone last week to see if I do better on it than ambien partly because the half-life is supposed to be short and partly because it's actually better to take it with a snack.  He said it's up to me to see if I like it.  Trouble is that I'm afraid that I won't be able to get up the next morning after taking it.  And crazymeds.us says it's not uncommon to be really out of it the first few days on it.  I'm wondering what quality of sleep you had on it, if it interacted with your AC or other meds, and whether it made you excessively sleepy.

Thanks!

I had some luck with Trazodone.

I sometimes took 25 though, instead of 50.

I didn't always take it consistently, and found that if I didn't drink a lot of water with it, I would be more likely to have a headache when I woke up- but it wasn't that much of a headache, and didn't take that long to go away.

So, balanced against not being able to sleep at all, a short term mild headache really wasn't too bad.

I didn't feel too tired when I woke up, though. I usually felt reasonably alert.

Unfourtunately, there were some times where I just didn't feel good in the morning, but I have no way of telling if it was related to the med.

I can say that if I had to pick a sleep med to go back on, right now I would likely choose trazodone if possible.

I don't want to go on one at all, though.

I think for me, the benefits outweighed the drawbacks. While I could have done without the occasional headache, I woke up without feeling fuzzy.

As a sleep aid for me, I would give it a B- for side-effects and a B+ for effectiveness.

I think it is really worth a try.

~navy~

Before I was dxed bp, I was given trazodone twice for sleepytime.  The first time, it worked great; the second, not so much.  Well, actually, the second time was *just* after I was dxed, and I was majorly manic.  So maybe there's a reason...

But yeah, when it works, it works, and I never did have any rotten effects from it, or anything at all noticable.

i was on trazodone for a few months and it worked great for me. yeah, you're pretty hungover the first week or so on it, but for me it wore off pretty fast and it really cut back on the number of times i woke up during the night and how long i would stay up during those times. it didn't eliminate them completely but it helped. unfortunately, my doctor just discontinued my prescription because he was concerned that they were triggering seizures. ;)

NARS:

Prior to dx of BP, I was on trazodone as an AD for several years. This was when it first came out, so it's been a long time. May be fuzzy on the details. Here's what I remember:

1) It didn't do much as an AD (but not what your looking for anyway).

2) It was great for sleep. Knocked me out. (Take it when you're in bed.)

3) I honestly do not remember about feeling hung over. I took it during most of my undergrad years, and had early morning classes; think I would remember if it had been a big, ongoing problem.

4) I'd worried that if there were an emergency in the middle of the night, I'd be too zonked out to respond. Not the case. I found out the hard way (a rapist breaking into my house) that you can be AWAKE immediately if needed.

Hope this helps.

I took 50mg of trazodone last night with mixed success.  I took it at 10:30 but couldn't fall asleep until after 11:30.  Then I got up like 5 times during the night to pee.  Don't know what that's about.  It was hell getting out of bed--I lay there for almost 15 minutes listening to my alarm beeping obnoxiously--but once I made myself get up I was organized and motivated to get in for my 8:30 conference call.  I have a bit of a headache this morning but otherwise feel alright.  I'm surprised at how long it took for it to work, given how much of a knockout med you've all found it to be.

Because of how long it took me to get to sleep and the number of times I got up I'm figuring I got as much sleep as usual but it was somewhat deeper than usual.  I had some very clear fascinating dreams about my favorite cousin, who died 15 years ago from AIDS, along with others I now forget.  No nightmares at all. 

So I figure I'll keep trying it for a while, but will take it 1/2 to 1 hour before bedtime, since it took so long to work last night.  At the worst it'll knock me out early and I'll get extra sleep.

Thanks for the feedback.  It made me willing to try it, and maybe it'll be my sleep drug of choice.  That would be nice, as I'd rather not be using ambien all the time & risking dependency.

Dreaming too much is what made me stop Trazadone. Like you, Nars, I never had nightmares but dreaming intensly makes me feel out of it the next day because of intense memories of the dreams.

Don't know if that made any sense ... Trazadone did nothing for me as an AD

Erika

My old neuro gave me Trazadone to help me sleep - 25mg to 50mg as needed before my official dx as BPII.  It didn't work at all for me and I was taking up to 75mg-100mg.  My pdoc told me that most BP'ers don't have sucess with Trazadone or other sleep meds.  He prescribed me Seroquel at 75mg as needed and it really works for me.

The one thing that I learned from Trazadone is if you don't eat before you take it, you can get really sick.

Good Luck,

Jen

...dreaming intensly makes me feel out of it the next day because of intense memories of the dreams.

I think what makes it fine for me is that I tend to forget 90% of the dreams I have unless I write them down right when I get up; if I've woken up during the night and not written them down I lose them entirely.  I firmly remember seeing Jimmy in my dream and talking with him, and him telling me he had gotten away from the jewels and drugs (jewels?), and holding his hands, and his smile, but by the time I made my coffee I forgot what was going on in the room I walked out of to see him.  I'd love to know; I remember being really interested in what I was doing.

Also, I've got a Jungian therapist, which means that she's helped me to work with my dreams.  So when I do remember them, bad or good, I can generally suss out what they're about, and then I take them to her to see what she thinks.  Dreams are terrifically useful for me, so I welcome the kind of sleep that lets me remember them.

Well, I used the trazodone two nights in a row.  It took forever to kick in and I got very broken sleep, getting up every hour or two.  That's as often as I did when I had bad hot flashes.  I didn't get hungover, but nevertheless it sucked.  Last night I took ambien instead and slept like a baby.  OK, the nyquil I took for the nasty cold I've got may have helped, but I really slept well and woke up rested.  So I just have to stop eating late night snacks and get to bed early enough.

It was worth a try, though.  It sounded so good to be knocked out and get high-quality sleep.  But ambien gets me close to there, so I'll stick with it for now.

Sorry if we led you astray. ;) But, like you said, it was worth a shot.

Glad you got some good sleep last night. Hope your cold gets better soon.

PS - Have you ever tried zinc lozanges when you've had a cold? I've used them on two colds, and each seemed to have milder symptoms and last less time than the usual cold. Could just be coincidence, but I have read studies that support this, too.

Also, I've got a Jungian therapist, which means that she's helped me to work with my dreams.  So when I do remember them, bad or good, I can generally suss out what they're about, and then I take them to her to see what she thinks.  Dreams are terrifically useful for me, so I welcome the kind of sleep that lets me remember them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have always wanted to see a Jungian therapist. I know many people do not hold Jung in high regard but I have read alot by Jung and other Jungians and I like it.

Erika, closet-Jungian

Erika, Jungian therapy rocks.  Actually, she alternates between cognitive therapy (is that the same as CBT?) and good old analysis.  But basically she's an awesomely strong woman who insists that I'm able to be well, even when I'm a snivelling mess.

I just got off the phone with my old BP friend in DC.  She said trazodone didn't work for her either.  She's as much of a stress case as me, except that she has good reason to be stressed--she's a high-powered litigator.  She juggles her meds and has precious little support.  She defuses things by taking vacations in places like Spain and China (since she has a real job she also has real money).  It's funny--she's all Ivy League and high-prestige jobs, but we're alike in how BP affected the course of our lives.  The really big difference is that I've slowed down and tried to get control of my life instead of running from one thing to the next.

But I digress.  Thanks for all the advice.  I'd have been too scared to even try it without your encouragement.  Even though it didn't work, at least it's a data point I can tell my pdoc about.

Since I'm hardcore, I started on 150mg Trazodone.  Slept like a baby, was able to wake up the next day at a reasonable hour without feeling hungover.  That said, I didn't really have frank BPII until after I added Trazodone to my Cymbalta in March... the two must have syntergized and sent me over the top.  Must have been better than my previous decade of torpid depression, though...

Archived