CrazyBoards.org

good article on the changing face of bipolar

Heya,

Interesting.

Encouraging, I think.

Except the stats on marriage and death, but we knew that.

Good to see an article aimed at regular people that's fairly acccurate and not using scare tactics.

Even if it's in the National Enquirer of psychology journals.

And, would have been nice if they'd spelled lamotrigine right.

Boosted my case with DH that we need to go back to therapy, and maybe that he should come see my psych with me sometime.

--ncc--

Thank you for the link. I just forwarded it to my husband (he only checks email at work). The part about the "least provocation" really stood out. It's something he doesn't understand. Maybe this article will help. I'd like to think we have a solid marriage.

Yes, Fiona, I'm 43 and was just diagnosed, having been thought unipolar depressed since the age of 24.

well i am glad that everyone found the article useful. clearly it puts a lot more people into the bipolar category than in the past. the broadening of the definition sort of leads to people presenting with very different symptoms to be lumped together...i guess the fact that similar medications are used to treat classic bipolar as well as this new emerging type implies that they are related?

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rev, this is what we were talking about awhile back. I talked to tdoc yesterday about it. See pdoc next Saturday (1/28), I'm going to request a re-evaluation of my dx. (MDD). My tdoc supports this. We'll see.

Suze

Rev, this is what we were talking about awhile back. I talked to tdoc yesterday about it. See pdoc next Saturday (1/28), I'm going to request a re-evaluation of my dx. (MDD). My tdoc supports this. We'll see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. Let me know what happens.

well i am glad that everyone found the article useful. clearly it puts a lot more people into the bipolar category than in the past. the broadening of the definition sort of leads to people presenting with very different symptoms to be lumped together...i guess the fact that similar medications are used to treat classic bipolar as well as this new emerging type implies that they are related?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you looked at http://www.psycheducation.org/start/BPIntro.htm yet? Explains a lot of this in detail.

Emil Kraepelin, the man who coined the term "manic depressive," NEVER drew a distinction between bipolar and unipolar: both were part of a continuum.

It's always been a peeve of mine that he's unknown compared to charlatans like Freud, Jung, and so many others.

I'd love to see the study that produced the 90% divorce rate. I won't hold my breath. 

Heya,

First, let me endorse wholeheartedly Dr. Kraepelin and his groundbreaking work.

Truly, he defined the mood pectrum.

As re.the Psychology Today article in question:

I stand by the spelling issue.

Besides that, yeah, *both* psychs I've seen (the diagnosis guy and the re-diagnosis and treatment guy) haven't given me any **numbers** about marriages, and for good reason.

They both have said that just *having* a marriage at this point is pretty good, as "most" bipolars don't have a career or a marriage.  I took that as stroking, really, and appreciated it as such.

B/c I think lots of us have one or both, maybe not perfect, but come on.

And I overlooked the 90% thing the first read through.

That's just inflammatory.  And I don't buy it.  What, there are no other reasons for ending a marriage than freaking bipolar?  Right.

(In my defense, I was reading CB, reading the article, watching Criminal Minds, taping Lost, and explaining to DH that Inigo's assistant is Greg from Dharma and Greg, and that the other guy is Malcolm from Y&R, while DH sang "A criminal mind is all I've, all I've ever haaaaad" by Gowan.)

It's a start, though, at telling regular people about us.

I think.

--ncc--

while DH sang "A criminal mind is all I've, all I've ever haaaaad" by Gowan.)

It's a start, though, at telling regular people about us.

I think.

--ncc--

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

And I thought I was the only one who couldn't get that godawful 80s dreck outta my head when I first heard the show's title.

Sorry, no offense to any Gowan fans out there.

And no worries about telling me anything.  I'm not regular.  Heh.

Karen

Well, when you consider the overall divorce rate in about 50%...add crazy to the mix...I am not finding the 90% stat so hard to believe.

Besides, that would make me and hubby VERY special being in the 10%. DON'T TAKE MY SPECIAL AWAY! (lololololol)

Actually, hubby and I have had discussions about the 50% divorce rate. From our experiences, it seems to be the idiots who keep getting married and divorced (like my dad, who is not living with his future 4th ex-wife) are skewing the stats!

Heya Wifezilla,

OK have been not-asking this.

And I think maybe a threadjack, but that's fuzzy.

But ok.

Any other suggestions for resources for DH (has potential to be husbandzilla, but we're not sure where to turn to) who would *like* to learn about BP but not to be overwhelmed with it, b/c it *is* pretty damn overwherlming, esp. if you grew up with a tradition/culture that doesn't include MI?

I promise I will stop asking this ... now.

;)

(PS. Come on, "Lamotrigene" didn't bug anyone else???)

--ncc--

(PS. Come on, "Lamotrigene" didn't bug anyone else???)

--ncc--

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, of course it bugged me.  I am the consummate speller/grammar fastidious fuss-budget.  Until Topamax melted my brain.  Which now necessitates me to keep reaching for my dictionary :frowns:  And to try to illustrate my fuss-budgetry what I wrote above was incorrect (fastidious fuss-budget.)  It's repetitive.  It's all about the economy of words, baby.

Which reminds me, I spoke to a woman who might like me to help her proof and edit her novel...that should be fun with "oh-melted-brain..."

Sorry...we're on the ADD train...

Back to the question of support for DH.  I'm not as up on my reference tools as I should be but a lot of people seem to recommend The Bipolar Survival Guide by David J. Miklowitz.  I've never read it so I can't comment on content.

I was always stubborn and just thought that I could simply get through to partners and explain what it was all about etc...  But the majority of the time I was partner-less so...

Right now, my current partner just "gets it."  Granted, we communicate a lot.  That is key.  But she's had some dealings with MI (dx'd with GAD but now off meds) and her mom is a little cuckoo but not dx'd with anything.

Okay, rambling and this probably isn't really answering your question or helping.  I liked what you said about therapy and him going to some sessions with you.  I don't think that would be a bad idea at all.

Karen

Archived