CrazyBoards.org

Lexapro and the boogey-man

Hi all

I switched from a decade of 20-30 mgs of prozac to 10 mg of lexapro about two months ago. Anyway, I am use to vivid dreams on the prozac, but after switching to the Lex to a nighttime dose, I am having a problem with falling asleep on my usual 1 mg. dose of lorazepam. I even tried 1 mg. of Xanax to see if it helped. It didn't. After finally going off to sleep after 2am, I awaken, and I know this sounds very crazyboardish, to a decaying figure's head sleeping next to me. I shake my head, shiver, fall back to a fitful sleep with real vivid dreams. My mom use to complain about hallucinations with her SSRI dose during the night. Whats up with this? I am thinking about going back on the prozac. Yuk.

S.

Edit: 10 mg of lorazepam-not 1 g. - anyway I know this sounds wierd-ass, but I need verification here guys, is there a bogey-man, and have I really met him. Oh shit I'm in trouble.

second edit - it is 1mg of lorazepam, not 10mg. Man, I sure hope my brain starts working better again, I'll never get a job!

Hi, Sylvia,

Nope. No bogieman, just a weird brain.

I'm assuming that you switched from Prozac to Lexapro because the Prozac wasn't working so well anymore. If that's the case, then switching back to Prozac isn't going to help anything.

Is there a particular reason you take the Lexapro at night? I tried that when I was on Lexapro and it messed with my sleep, too. Could you take it in the morning for a couple of weeks and see if that helps your sleep?

Otherwise, it's probably on to something new, again. If the SSRIs help you other than the sleep problem, you might want to look at Paxil, a more sedating SSRI than Lexapro.

Also, there are a couple of older antidepressants that are very helpful for sleep: trazodone and amitriptyline. Both were originally developed as antidepressants, but the sedation factor was a problem. So, now, people use them at lower doses as sleep aids. I use amitriptyline when I need it and it works great.

Good luck. Let us know what you find. (Not more severed heads, I hope.)

Greeny

Hi, Sylvia,

Nope. No bogieman, just a weird brain.

I'm assuming that you switched from Prozac to Lexapro because the Prozac wasn't working so well anymore. If that's the case, then switching back to Prozac isn't going to help anything.

Is there a particular reason you take the Lexapro at night? I tried that when I was on Lexapro and it messed with my sleep, too. Could you take it in the morning for a couple of weeks and see if that helps your sleep?

Otherwise, it's probably on to something new, again. If the SSRIs help you other than the sleep problem, you might want to look at Paxil, a more sedating SSRI than Lexapro.

Also, there are a couple of older antidepressants that are very helpful for sleep: trazodone and amitriptyline. Both were originally developed as antidepressants, but the sedation factor was a problem. So, now, people use them at lower doses as sleep aids. I use amitriptyline when I need it and it works great.

Good luck. Let us know what you find. (Not more severed heads, I hope.)

Greeny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the reply Greenyflower-

I was taking the lex in the am when I first started, then switced to bedtime cause I thought it was causing lethagy, but then again I was just beginning the transition. It might have been the depression, which is getting better. No anxiety attacks either, which is great. Its hard because I read the posts and its like reading a medical dictionary, at least for me, I start having all the symtoms. Argh. I was embarassed to post the hallucination experience, but I really wanted to know from others their experiences. Vivid dreams continue, but I am use to that. The hallucination was a first and I sure hope the last. Thanks again,

Sylvia 

Archived