CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Oniliscious

How do You Get Rid of Irritability?

Yesterday, my parents and I got into an argument about sleeping over at my friends' houses. Both of them don't believe in it, because it's not a part of our lifestyle or our 'culture.' My mom especially pissed me off about it yesterday night when we were going at it back and forth. She always seems to win as I am sometimes left without being heard or being given a chance to prove my points. So, I went to bed feeling upset.

This morning, I woke up early and took my morning meds (Cymbalta, Ativan and Ritalin), as per usual. I also drank some coffee to wake me up a little more and ate my breakfast, as I do both everyday.

Now, my stomach feels blah at the moment, probably because of the food that I ate and the coffee I drank. So, I took Pepto and am now lying down.

However, I still feel irritated today, - probably due to the coffee and Ritalin mixture (my guess), or the argument that I had with my mom yesterday (or both). Now, I don't have arguments with my parents every day, but if I do, I don't usually feel irritable, just upset. But today is just one of those days...

So, if or when irritability runs over me, all I can really ever think to do is to lie down until it hopefully goes away. Sometimes, this doesn't always work. In the past if I had it and if it was just really unbearable, I'd desparately take another Ativan or take a magnesium pill (not both together. It's either/or) and sleep in hopes that it could maybe allow the irritability to subside. Sometimes when I wake up, the irritability is still sticks or it subsides a little bit, but they don't always work, or even for that purpose. As for now, the irritability is here and I don't know how to get rid of it. 

Does anybody have any ideas and/or suggestions on how to get rid of this state of torture and disablement? Please, I need to know so that this can be avoided in the future.

Thanks!

I know you mentioned sleep can get rid of it sometimes, and I just wanted to say that sleep along with some xanax will usually get me out of the irritability.

Are you on any other meds then the Ativan?  Maybe ask pdoc about something else that might help?

Edited by melissaw72

Ritalin + coffee often increase irritability (even if you have taken both for awhile). You may want to try laying off both of those for awhile, instead of relying on Ativan to combat the symptom.

Bursts of intense exercise may help "burn off" the negative energy, just go out for a fast walk outside and focus on your breathing, it may help smooth out the tension. Maybe get a massage? Do you have a pet?

7 minutes ago, cloudmonger said:

Bursts of intense exercise may help "burn off" the negative energy, just go out for a fast walk outside and focus on your breathing, it may help smooth out the tension. Maybe get a massage? Do you have a pet?

I was also going to suggest exercise.

One thing I do is make sure I've had enough plain water for the day. Especially if I've had coffee, it seems like I'm more prone to irritability if I don't hydrate well.

The other thing I do is just get absurd until I can't take it seriously. For example, I recently was imagining how nice it would feel to stab select individuals with forks, and then decided to make it slightly safer in my mind by changing forks for sporks.

Doing anything to change up my environment can also help, whether it's getting outside to "air the stink out of you" as my mom would say, or turning up music and having a living room dance party.

17 hours ago, crtclms said:

Have you told your pdoc about your irritability?

I haven't told him yet, but I definitel will when I see him again.

16 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

I know you mentioned sleep can get rid of it sometimes, and I just wanted to say that sleep along with some xanax will usually get me out of the irritability.

Are you on any other meds then the Ativan?  Maybe ask pdoc about something else that might help?

I'm on Cymbalta, Ativan, Ritalin, Invega, Lamictal and Benadryl.

A lot of good suggestions here! I will try to exercise if it happens again. Sometimes, even the irritability immobilizes me and moving around is hard to do. However, I'll try that next time. Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Oniliscious said:

I'm on Cymbalta, Ativan, Ritalin, Invega, Lamictal and Benadryl.

Do you think the Ritalin dose needs to be lowered (upon pdoc's approval if it does)?  When I was on Ritalin, it made me feel jittery and hyper, sometimes a little irritable (I think though because things wouldn't happen fast enough that it would cause me lots of irritability).

If it were me, I'd be asking pdoc about the irritability in general, then also ask if he thinks the ritalin has anything to do with it.  And maybe he'll take that into consideration and change the dose.

On 11/21/2016 at 8:36 AM, melissaw72 said:

Do you think the Ritalin dose needs to be lowered (upon pdoc's approval if it does)?  When I was on Ritalin, it made me feel jittery and hyper, sometimes a little irritable (I think though because things wouldn't happen fast enough that it would cause me lots of irritability).

If it were me, I'd be asking pdoc about the irritability in general, then also ask if he thinks the ritalin has anything to do with it.  And maybe he'll take that into consideration and change the dose.

Well, I'm on a fairly low dose. 20 mg. I mean, it works fine now. It was just a little random as to why I felt irritable, but this is something that I will look into with my doctor just to be on the right track with my meds.

IMO, your irritability is expected in this situation. You had conflict with your parents over an issue you feel strongly about. It bothers you. I think it's OK that you're not necessarily over it immediately. It takes time for your brain to work through your feelings, We're all different.

I've spent a lot of time with my tdoc working through my emotions, and the wide gamut with being bipolar. Until recently, when my emotions would swing, my first inclination was to medicate, because obviously something is wrong and I'm afraid of it getting worse. It's taken a lot of work and feedback to learn that sometimes it's OK to be angry, irritable, upset, sad, depressed, etc., especially when there is a root cause. If you can say "I am X emotion because Y happened" then you're being rational and your emotion has a reason behind it. I believe it's the mood swings for no apparent reason that are trouble and may need a med adjustment to compensate. Even irrational responses aren't a reason for medication, IMO.

Sometimes the best solution is to accept your feelings and work through them. Personally, I haven't found a med yet that helps for irritability, I just own my feelings, accept them, and keep pushing forward. Yup, I'm irritable, I tell everyone around me who matters, and I keep going. It eventually gets processed and I feel better. I find inaction is the worst, because my mind wants to focus on the feelings and they never get worked through. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for meds and managing your symptoms, I just think one of the hardest things to do being BP is to acknowledge rational emotions and own them. I struggle with it routinely.

I usually get away from people when I'm irritable, because I don't want to say things the wrong way (I can be really rude to the people I love when I'm irritable). Exercise is a really good option, specially if you do some cardio warm up and at the end of the workout session you stretch out; maybe do some yoga, connecting your breathing to your movements is truly calming. Meditation also helps, specially those times when it immobilizes me.

On 20/11/2016 at 11:04 PM, Wooster said:

Doing anything to change up my environment can also help, whether it's getting outside to "air the stink out of you" as my mom would say, or turning up music and having a living room dance party.

And also this, changing the environment you're in. Going for a walk, cleaning and organizing my room, dancing...
If it's really really bad, I just take benzos to go to sleep.
I know how good coffee is, but try to limit the amount you take.

I think it's normal to feel some antagonism with your parents at this time.  I agree with what many people have already said: exercise and lay off the caffeine.  Also, talk to your pdoc about xanax to take the edge off. Don't hold back when discussing these emotions with your pdoc. It's easy to put on the everything-is-cool face, but your pdoc needs to hear about this.

Sometimes it's fun to make a cardboard city and pretend to be Godzilla and crush it all. Bonus points for making a t-rex/godzilla outfit to wear during destruction and mayhem.

• Like 1