CrazyBoards.org

Has to be a scam, but...

Background: I've been lurking here at CB for quite some time, but this is my first post. I know I should probably post an official introduction, but my mind just isn't up to that at the moment. Really, the only reason I'm posting at all is because I really need some honest opinions and this feels like a "safe" place where people will gently give me a reality check if I need it, or better, will tell me this might be legit.

Like a few others here, I don't work. I quit my job in July, a job I wasn't able to do to my full potential anyway because the work environment was rather hostile and anxiety & confidence issues made it unbearable. I also cannot handle the humiliation of getting another job right now. I have this pattern of getting jobs, enduring complete hell for a month and then finally quitting because I'm almost literally paralysed with anxiety and simply cannot bring myself to go in (btw, I was at this last job for just over a year, which is an accomplishment for me, in spite of it being VERY part-time).

So now, I badly need money. I've been unmedicated for most of a year now, and it simply doesn't work for me. I'm broke, have been neglecting all mental health needs and it's really taking a large toll on my life in every conceivable way. Lately I've been on this kick to find some idiot-proof way to make some money from home, via the internet.

The latest thing I found is this: http://www.weeklycashincome.com/main.html

I'm guessing it's a scam. I highly doubt there IS any idiot-proof job. But before I write it off... or give in to my urge to try it, I thought I'd get some other input first.

Sorry for the disjointed rambling, but thanks for listening.

Most of the stuff about it reads like a scam, yeah :)

The 'Only available to 3 more people!!!' part was the first giveaway.

Why, did their publisher run out of ink and paper?

If you scroll ALLLLLL the way to the very bottom, it says 'A valid credit card or active checking account is required for activation.'

This means you either need a credit card they can max or an account they can pull money from...You can't just open an empty account for them to deposit to, as they imply.

Doing a little research into his background turned up...Nadda. I couldn't find anything about him anywhere that didn't involve this program.

I'm sure if I searched the phone directories I could find a Dale Douglas, but it prolly wouldn't be this one.

This program is actually sold under a few names, but all are owned by emarketprofessionals...so the people probably don't exist at all, but all the programs claim that person 'invented' them and holds the copyright.

Katherine Scott is one of those names.

Doing a quick trace on the websites (She has 2) one of hers is on the same host as his. divineimpact.com.

Essentially, what happens is they send you a message to go to emarketprofessionals.com, buy a website and a book, which you also must pay for. Then they give you no help at all. Essentially, it's the same as selling stuff on ebay, but you have to buy it from them...And if it doesn't sell, that's just too bad. .

As far as I know, that book they show doesn't even exist. Library of Congress had no ref number for it...

This is actually legal...sort of. More legal than most of the work at home programs.

The majority are either credit card/mail fraud (Empty the account or max the card instantly) or pyramid schemes (also illegal).

But just because it's legal doesn't mean it works...it just means you can't fight back. :/

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, and apologies for the crappy formatting.

Edited to add:

Don't feel bad about wondering if it's for real. The only reason I'm such a suspicious bastard is because when I first started a business, a company talked me into a credit card machine(That didn't work, I might add.) and burned me for 3000 bucks. At least you're better than me and didn't give in to your urge. ;)

As far as I know, that book they show doesn't even exist. Library of Congress had no ref number for it...

Thanks for the thorough reply Seldarin, it never would have occured to me look up a reference number for the book.

I was thinking of withdrawing all but a very small amount of cash from my savings account (nearly empty anyway! ha.) and providing that account number, but even that made me nervous. I think my current work-from-home obssession is over.. for another few weeks, at least.

About:Blank,

Lets talk about the reasons you end up quiting the job. First, what profession? What have been the jobs of late. Education level? General Location, small city or large.

Sometimes, one must back down in order to move up. I had to leave sales back in 1980 to 'regroup' and I ended up taking a minimum wage engineering tech job.Worked it for two years, got raises, etc. I was able to 'hide' there.

Then I made the decision that I did not like the person I was seeing in the mirror and went back to school(Already had B.S.) for computers.

Jobs/workplace is a tough environment to say the least. So many games are being played, so many power plays going on.

Something I read a long time ago that has always helped me:

"RENT THEM YOU BODY, BUT NEVER EVER SELL THEM YOUR SOUL"

About:Blank,

Lets talk about the reasons you end up quiting the job. First, what profession? What have been the jobs of late. Education level? General Location, small city or large.

Sometimes, one must back down in order to move up. I had to leave sales back in 1980 to 'regroup' and I ended up taking a minimum wage engineering tech job.Worked it for two years, got raises, etc. I was able to 'hide' there.

Then I made the decision that I did not like the person I was seeing in the mirror and went back to school(Already had B.S.) for computers.

Jobs/workplace is a tough environment to say the least. So many games are being played, so many power plays going on.

Something I read a long time ago that has always helped me:

"RENT THEM YOU BODY, BUT NEVER EVER SELL THEM YOUR SOUL"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello Hawkeye,

I have a high school diploma which isn't worth the paper it's printed on. There is a back story, but I promised myself not to get too far off track. Included in that back story are reasons why college seems to be an impossibilty for me -- hopefully a temporary condition, but who knows.

I'm in the states, on the east coast (mid-atlantic region), living a small-ish city, not terribly far from some bigger cities. I was working as a server in a restaraunt, which is one of the only things I am qualified to do without a degree and still make a reasonable income. While I was employed there and struggling not to fall apart, my prevailing thought was that trained monkeys can do this job, it isn't rocket science, what the hell is WRONG with me, etc. This inevitably happens with ANY job and starts very early, as in, the first or second day when I *should* be cutting myself a break. I never feel ready to be "cut loose" from the training.  My confidence is essentially nonexistant, and while I can fake it to some degree, I seem to be losing that ability at a rapid pace. the more I fail, the worse I get, and vice versa. 

I usually "present" well at doctor visits and in various other settings. Any situation where I feel comfortable, I do alright. Job situations and certain social situations, I freeze up and become socially awkward and "weird". This happened immediately when I started this last job and haunted me throughout my time there. In my own defense, the one friend I made there who I really trusted and was able to be "myself" with, agreed that that was a truly hostile environment and considered it an exception to what I would have encountered elsewhere, with a friendlier, more accpeting group of people. ::sigh:: 

I've always had serious confidence issues but I used to be a bit more social and made friends fairly easily. I'm not only failing to make progress but I'm actually losing ground here. A big part of the problem is that I can no longer seperate failing at a job with being a failure as a human being. Especially since the only jobs I have ever had are easy, entry level positions (that trained monkeys could do). Hell, if I cannot even succeed at those then where does that leave me?.

Sorry for this long rant, I know how whiny and self-centered it must seem. I just am in desperate need of a solution and I'm not sure that there is one, at least nothing I can access without immediate cash. Right now money really does seem like the root of all happiness.

I was just thinking that if someone you don't know had access to an account with your name on it, even if it only has a little bit of money in it, they have a lot of info.

There is a lot that people can do with that information, not just take money from it.

Screw up your credit, attempt to [and in some cases succeed in]use your identity, do all sorts of shady things.

There are all sorts of things that people do to try to mess with others who are having a hard time.  I don't blame you for hoping it was something that might be ok.  It's so frustrating to read through this stuff and think that maybe it could actually work.

~navy~

Yeah, like NavySurya said, they can do real damage with even an empty account.

They can find out if you have *other* accounts for one thing.

It's also possible they'd charge something to the account and try to nail you for insufficient funds if it couldn't cover it.

Hi A.B., Welcome!

Yeah, don't give anyone your bank account info. I haven't even looked at the make money scheme, but I wouldn't tangle with it.  If it was so lucrative, they would hire and train people in their own city to work for them doing the same thing.

Bravo to Hawkeye for the sharp analysis. The motto of not selling your soul sure resonates.

A.B.:  Don't sell yourself short. Your friend gave you an objective outsiders opinion that the last job was toxic, validating your perception.  It wasn't your fault. Likewise, if you have been off meds, the illness is going to slowly take over your head and distort your feelings and ability to cope. 

Don't despair, you can find another job and be comfortable again.  I know its a Catch-22 stituation: job-money-meds.  But, find a way to get back in therapy and on the meds.  Find a part time position that will let you get your feet wet again without being overwhelmed.

Long term, you will be able to get back on your feet again. Take it slow. You won't be stuck forever serving if you want to do something else, it just wil take a little time.

Good luck, A.M.

Archived