CrazyBoards.org

Feeling hopeless about my meds and myself

Guest Guest_2utopian_*

Guest Guest_2utopian_*

Hello,

I have been dx with Chronic Depression, PTSS and Agoraphobia since 1996.  During that time I feel like I have tried everything including: Prozac, Paxil, Neurontin, Lithium, Serzone (scarezone), Trazadone (tragic zone), Effexor(affects her not him), Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Klonopin, Ambien, Lunesta, Temazapam, Flurazapam...and that is off the top of my head.  Currently have been on 40mg. Cymbalta and 200 mg. twice a day of Wellbutrin.  The last couple visits to the psychiatrist (scarry actress), I have told him that everything is fine when it really isn't.  I just don't feel like having him pick an AD out of hat to try.  A friend of mine has suggested that I try Lexapro instead of the Cymbalta.  Anyone have any thoughts on a Lexapro/Wellbutrin combo?  Why am I embarrassed to tell my Pdoc the truth?  I feel like I am not a very good patient because nothing seems to be working.  Well, that is not entirely accurate as I no longer have been suicidal in several years; "yea" for me I guess.

2utopian (but not today)

First, you must tell your pdoc the truth! If he doesn't know the truth, then he cannot provide you the best possible treatment. And you aren't going to really get any better because your pdoc doesn't know you need somehing different. That said, I know how hard it can be, if you have trouble talking about it, maybe writing it down will be easier to communicate.

You are not a 'bad patient' because nothing is working well enough. If that were the case we're all 'bad patients'! There's no value judgement to being a good or bad patient, you just are and if things aren't working that's not your fault.

Are you doing any therapy? The most effective approach to depression is to combine medication and therapy. Therapy can be uncomfortable, but it is more than worth it in the end. It can help you with the Post-Traumatic Stress (EMDR is supposed to be particularly good for that).

Meanwhile, it may be time to try another class of medication altogether -- one of the tricyclics, or even an MAOI. It sounds like you and I've been fighting depression about the same length of time, though I was suicidal until last year, and Parnate is the miracle of my life.

Fiona

Guest Guest_2utopian_*

Meanwhile, it may be time to try another class of medication altogether -- one of the tricyclics, or even an MAOI. It sounds like you and I've been fighting depression about the same length of time, though I was suicidal until last year, and Parnate is the miracle of my life.

Can you give me the names of some tricyclics or MAOI?

Can you give me the names of some tricyclics or MAOI?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The tricyclics include nortriptyline, amitriptyline, desipramine and company. I think they're all named on the non-SSRI med board.

The MAOIs are Parnate and Nardil, and Marplan if you're outside the US. These are meds of last resort as they interact with much of the everyday world -- most anything aged or fermented (aged cheese and meats, yeast extract, brewer's yeast and more and most OTC meds).

Have you tried an atypical AP? Seroquel? Zyprexa? Or a mood stabilizer other than lithium? Lamictal is often used in combination with ADs to help them along.

I take Seroquel and Lamictal in addition to Parnate.

Fiona

Archived