CrazyBoards.org

It often depends on the medication, as some are effected by different factors- more sensitive to light, heat or moisture.

Also because of this, how they have been stored also makes a difference.

~navy~

There's an interesting article from the Harvard Med School Family Health Guide about drug expiration dates. It states that "[E]xpired drugs are safe to take, even those that expired years ago." The listed exceptions are nitroglycerin, insulin, liquid antibiotics and, possibly, tetracycline. There is also a caveat that any drug may lose some of its potency over a long period. Personally, I'm wary about what any for-profit establishment tells me about when it's time to buy more of their product and throw out the old stuff.

Whenever I fill or refill a prescription, the expiration date on the bottle is listed as one year after the date it was filled (various pharmacies, and not just psych meds). I don't know if that's a federal (U.S.) or state law or just the way the pharma industry operates. It makes me wonder, though, about the amount of time between when the med shipment is received by the pharmacy and when they use it to fill a prescription. Anybody here ever work for a pharmacy or know more about this?

I'm currently using a Klonopin rx that expired in 2003 and had been sitting in my backpack. It's doing what it's supposed to be doing, though.

Many people store their medications in the bathroom. But this popular spot is actually one of the worst places to keep medicine.

Funny, I recently saw that tip on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Now I know where they find their advice!

Slightly off-topic, but maybe a good thing to throw out... I recently read that any medications you have that you no longer need, ask your vet if they'll accept/need them. And yes, dogs take crazy meds too. I had a dalmation that was on lithium and prozac at one time. I need to call my vet about a script of desipramine that I quit using.

Just a thought. 

I remember when I worked for a company who gave out NRT to quit smoking.  They couldn't give the patients expired drugs but anyopne who worked there and was trying to quit could take any they wanted.  I think exp dates are for federal guidelines and another way for pharmecutical companies to make more money.  BUt since we're all on AD or other drugs we probably won't have expired one's.  What drug are you specifically talking about?

Archived