CrazyBoards.org

ok, fellow adders - please share your life coping strategies, because i am feeling incompetent and pathetic today.

i'm in school. (again.)  i did great last semester but i really had trouble getting to classes on time - i'd get caught up in something the night before and go to bed late, causing me to oversleep, or i'd get caught up in something before class and not make it to campus in time, etc.

after a month long hiatus where i basically did nothing and had no kind of schedule, this week starting spring semester has proven to be....  um... impossible?

i missed 2 classes.  even though i got straight a's last semester (my first semester ever on add meds) i can feel the school-induced anxiety creeping up all over again.

which i suppose is a separate issue - after so many years of "failing" i have to build up confidence again.

my question is:  how do you manage your time?  there must be some tricks or strategies out there for me to learn how to get to bed on time, not dilly dally in the mornings when i have somewhere to be, etc

?

ohmigod if you find some share w/ me!

I'm pretty much a mess these days in terms of getting to bed on time and in taking less than 3 hours to get from bed to front door in the mornings.

Two things help me:

1. I just tried this last night, and it worked. When I came home, I IMMEDIATELY changed into my pajamas, brushed my teeth and washed my face. Do not pass Go, do not plop ass in front of computer to check Crazy Boards, do not reach for TV remote. It worked. By the time I'd done all that, and turned down my sheets, my lust for CB/TV had subsided, and I could crawl into bed.

2. I need noise in the morning, and have no radio, so watch TV. The operative word here is "watch." So I'm going to go buy a radio, so I'll have the requisisite noise, but no accompanying visuals.

this post probably sounds pathetic, but I'm pathetic, so there it is. Hope this helps. If it doesn't, please tell me what keeps you up at night/dragging ass in the mornings, and I'll think some more.

lily

this post probably sounds pathetic, but I'm pathetic, so there it is. Hope this helps. If it doesn't, please tell me what keeps you up at night/dragging ass in the mornings, and I'll think some more.

lily

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lily! You are NOT pathetic! You are one of the funniest, smartest women on these boards. Stop that! Plus, if it's called pathetic then there are a lot of us, dare I say most, who are pathetic!

I don't work, but still have difficulty managing my time and activities. I have made my tdoc my life coach for now. But getting to bed, that is my worst time of the day--insomniac theatre. And I HAVE to get up, because I have school-age children. My Mom always slept through us getting off to school, so that's one of my *issues*. I get up for my kids and try and be cordial, have a great day, all that stuff. I try to stay up all day so I can get to sleep early at night, thus ending the insomnia syndrome, but by 2 or 3 pm, I almost can't help but nap for and hour or 2. Vicious cycle. Too bad vicious cycles don't burn calories.  ;)

Wow S9, that meant a lot. Thanks for the compliment!

bella, I'm glad. Let's keep looking for ways to climb out of the hole.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AUTOBIOGRAPHY IN FIVE CHAPTERS

Portia Nelson

1) I walk down the street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk

I fall in.

I am lost...

I am hopeless.

It isn't my fault.

It takes forever to find a way out.

2) I walk down the same street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I pretend I don't see it.

I fall in again.

I can't believe I'm in the same place.

But it isn't my fault.

It still takes a long time to get out.

3) I walk down the same street.

I see it is there.

I still fall in...it's a habit

My eyes are open; I know where I am;

It is my fault.

I get out immediately.

4) I walk down the same street.

I walk around it.

5) I walk down another street.

I'll second the radio/tv as metronome in the mornings.  That may be the purpose

of morning news programs - the only interesting parts are short and needed

(traffic, weather) and hit at the same point in the program:

"Local weather is back on. It's about a quarter-past the hour and I need to be

dressed and out the door already."

If you can handle morning coffee - put the 'maker on a timer. The sooner you

can kickstart the better for the rest of the morning.

No good suggestions on the evening rack-hitting. Between work tasks that

just.won't.finish. and emergent home projects (the kitchen light circuits are

hanging mid-air) I've been getting to bed at insane times.

Weird as it sounds - a small shot of caffeine in the evening before bed can

help. Kind of wakes the brain's internal scheduler enough for it to yell "bed.now!"

Between no lights in the kitchen and not even being awake enough to get my

eyes open and pointed in the same direction it's a minor miracle I didn't pour

any water into something that doesn't get along well with conductive fluids.

Two things help me:

1. I just tried this last night, and it worked. When I came home, I IMMEDIATELY changed into my pajamas, brushed my teeth and washed my face. Do not pass Go, do not plop ass in front of computer to check Crazy Boards, do not reach for TV remote.

It worked.

By the time I'd done all that, and turned down my sheets, my lust for CB/TV had subsided, and I could crawl into bed. lily

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This #1 step I second ;)

I always thought of my soon-as-I-step-in-the door-get to the shower routine

as my way of steping into my world/ relax mode.

Bella,

how about timers? Do you have a cell phone or? That you could use to give yourself 15 min warnings say in the moring when you get distracted, or at night before bed?

Lily, I agree with S9, stop that self-talk woman you  r o c k!!!

jeez I totally forgot I had this window open like, um 5 hrs ago eeks

I try to stay up all day so I can get to sleep early at night, thus ending the insomnia syndrome, but by 2 or 3 pm, I almost can't help but nap for and hour or 2. Vicious cycle.

Maybe you saw this in the Patriot? There was a glossy "health" magazine pullout this week - maybe it was in Sunday's - okay, I'm not quite sure where it came from. *Anyway*, it was talking about doing yoga. I'm not a yoga-ite, so not familiar with any poses. However, the "L" caught my attention. Lay on the floor, with your butt crammed up against the wall, and your legs going straight up the wall, thus making the "L" shape. Point your toes back toward your head, don't point toward the ceiling. And chin should point toward your chest, not upwards.

*Supposedly*, 10 minutes of this position is as refreshing as a 30 minute nap.

Supposedly. Supposedly. Have I tried it? Nah, just thought I'd talk about it first.

For some reason, it's not recommended during a menstrual cycle...?

Yeah, naps are my friend. Kick on Nickelodeon for my 3yo, and I'm good for an hour.

Time management? What's that???

should definitely try the yoga pose.

anything natural.

i should try the timer thing, too.

i think my problem though would be having the timer go off and me say "oh ok, 5 more minutes then" and think it's been 5 when it's really been... you know, an hour.

maybe i'd have to reset the timer.

good tips, together perhaps we can be on time! 

I have another strategy that I want to implement. Laying out my clothes.

My mom used to do this for us when we were little. I've found that if I pick something out the night before, then I don't even have to peek into my overcrowded closet and stare, slack-jawed, at all the pretty-but-unironed shirts that I never wear, or stand there with a shirt on but no bottom (like this morning).

I also set out my breakfast tray.

And! I bought an electric thermos--as it, you plug it in, and it keeps water hot for tea, instant oatmeal, etc. For some reason boiling water in a kettle threw off my mornings. Who woulda thought?

Chuckit, I like the idea of setting my cell phone alarm. I used to have one friend mail me when she went to bed at night (she'd try to guilt me into going too), and another friend mail me when she left for work in the morning. But these ideas didn't work...

I'm still not good with time, but I'm getting better, slowly.

One thing is I have to remember that in order to get anywhere I have to practice triage. I want to pick up this task and that one and what about that other thing which wouild be nice to have done until I am keeping track (or not) of 25 things. Anyway, if I can dump anything that isn't particularly important and just keep to a few select things, I get more done. It's important to leave some motivational and/or fun things in the mix, on purpose, because if you don't you are going to goof off anyway, and it's more fun to do a fun thing than to just screw around reballing from your own schedule. Anytime I have to go someplace on time, a gazillion things suggest themselves to me, and I have to remember to ask, about each one, is there really time for that?

Archived