CrazyBoards.org

when the adderall wears off....

bella

i've noticed that when my 20 mg of xr wear off - which takes roughly 7 hours - i am ever so slightly irritable, which doesn't bother me.  (haha probably not so true for my husband) but more so i am SO VERY sleepy.  it lasts for an hourish.  sometimes 2.  i am prescribed 5 mg ir to take but usually i forget until it's too late in the day to bother.

the tired is overwhelming.  there is also a bit of anxiety that comes with it.

i suppose the easy answer is "take your immediate release adderall" but i forget.

and i worry that this means i'm now officially addicted to speed.

(yes it's a med, i know, but i must have been catholic in a past life because i constantly need to feel guilty about something.)

long story short, how can i fight this? or better yet, eliminate it?

I am having the same issues when my Focalin XR wears off.  I almost dread it wearing off because of the sluggishness and irratibility.  I joked with my wife that she should only talk to me about important things between 10:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. while the Focalin is working. 

My Pdoc and I have been discussing adding an immediate release to cover the down times. 

I guess part of the irritability for me is the fact that I feel so "normal" while on the Focalin because it helps so much that I get frustrated when my ADD self comes out again. 

believe me bella, if you were addicted to the Adderall you wouldn't miss your IR dose.......no joke!

now being dependent upon an amphetamine based stimulant is very different than being addicted to it....  I"ve turned this issue around and up to down in my head until literally i'm just a bit pissier than i was before, until i accept the fact that i have no real desire to abuse the Adderall that i take once in the morning.  Now in regards to being dependent upon an amphetamine based stim, well yes i definitely am.........I know if i dont take an Adderall that my day is going to be very unproductive....plain and simple, and thus I want to keep on taking the Adderall on a daily basis throughout the week, on out throughout the year....maybe and probably years on down the line I'll still be taking a stimulant. 

I'm in a 12 step program, one dealing with addiction, and this issue has hounded me from the beginning........but one thing holds true: that taking Adderall has done nothing negative to my life or to who I am, on the other hand it has allowed me to work a full-time job for the first time in my life.....i've never been able to put in a 40 hr week back to back to back for weeks on....now i can say that i have..... I actually cut my own hair (gave myself a hair-cut) for the first time in my life (no joke) and it looks better than what the stylists do that usually costs me around 15 to 20 dollars. . . prior to taking a stim i had no ability whatsoever to concentrate and be that patient and creative to do such.  Another pt, instead of going out and just buying an office desk for work, I'm actually making my own.......i just have an insatiating desire to be more creative with my life.......to go out and design the style of the desk, cut the wood, stain the wood, create shelves, etc.. etc.. wow, is a good word for it......my ability to function at work has flown through the roof (i am just doing damn decent in sales, not perfect but above and beyond what i would've done without taking a stim for ADD and narcoleptic issues). 

though, there is a backdrop as well......ya know, i am a bit more irritable, i have a bit more OCD issues, i can get isolated a bit more as I just do things on and on for a few hrs at times.......though, adding a mild anti-convulsant helped big time with the irritability and the OCD/anxiety, and actually being on Adderall helps me deal with these problems so much better as i can not just think about things but actually put forth thought that enables me to embrace what is, and i can see a lot more clearly what is now that i am on a stim, and also my ability to embrace my feelings and to face them (and not run from them is more enhanced and heightened, though i can find myself running a bit from things on the Adderall, it comes down to a choice to stop or keep on running) to be much better........i am a bit tired after come down off of my dose, though after having taken such an anti-convulsant before i go to bed (it helps me sleep, Gabitril is what i've been taking...its got its plusses and negatives) ......been taking it for a for weeks............i dont feel as spaced out and tired when my dose is in its 5th hour, and after the 8th hr i dont feel as tired either...

i hope things turn out for ya bella, how has your productivity over the past few months been? a question you may want to ask yourself is whether or not the postiives out-weigh the negatives?

i can identify with a lot of what you said up there.

the positives certainly outweigh the negatives.

since starting adderall i am much more productive, and honestly i feel like i can be myself without the pesky adhd spazzy stuff impeding me.

i am still having trouble w/ time management and procrastination, but i don't really think adderall is supposed to "cure" everything.

mostly i just wish there wasn't that unproductive "come down" period....

i can identify with a lot of what you said up there.

the positives certainly outweigh the negatives.

since starting adderall i am much more productive, and honestly i feel like i can be myself without the pesky adhd spazzy stuff impeding me.

i am still having trouble w/ time management and procrastination, but i don't really think adderall is supposed to "cure" everything.

mostly i just wish there wasn't that unproductive "come down" period....

i know that here i'm basically going to be saying take your ir, but i'll try to add a bit more.

i try to time it so that my last ir dose wears off just at bedtime.  that way that wave of sleepy gets me into bed.  this is how, oddly, adderall has been one of the best meds for my insomnia.

do you have an alarm you can set to remind you when to take the med?

as for time management.  i too suck at this.  lists and lists and still i'm late and never get enough done.  i've been reading up on ADD, and if i find a book with good tips on time management, i'll post about it...

i know i didn't add much there.

mostly i just wanted to say i've been there, it sucks, and good luck.

penny

Archived