CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Remnants

Schema Therapy

Experience? Thoughts? Opinions?

I was telling my psych that DBT and ACT just felt like a bandaid (plaster? in other english speaking countries). Sometimes they help at the time but make no real change I'm still stuck here being engulfed by my shit. I'm stuck. I've tried all of those and taken the few things that help.
She's now suggested we do Schema therapy. I'm open to it. Skeptical, especially by this point, but open to it. I have BPD (traits these days, I'm sane enough for not the full diagnosis now I guess), depression, anxiety & some lingering PTSD, maybe complex has been tossed around a few times.

What state do you live in, if I can ask?

Have a female friend in Australia with an identical diagnosis to you (but with different medications). Doctors at both private and public hospitals recommended schema therapy for her and there are intensive residential and non-residential programs in the state where she lives. She's going to do a non-residential program in the new year, and she's hopeful that it might make a difference. 

@Remnants i'm in the same boat - i've done a lot of therapy, and just started with a new psychologist - 4 sessions this year, and starting over with 10 in the new year. she's suggested schema therapy, and given me a questionnaire to fill out, which was encouraging, as the questions centred around a lot of things that haven't been asked in quite the manner that the schema questions do, and i'm hoping that those answers are going to provide a clearer insight as to what exactly the problem is.

the questions are around things like relationships - if you have someone close that  you can trust and tell anything to, how close you are with your parents, etc etc.

Yeah, I did that assessment with my psych a few weeks ago. It came up with stuff I kinda knew but nothing fit completely. She's now given me another sheet with 'modes' on them which is a combination of schemas which might be more accurate to me. Good luck, I hope it helps you

I got the schema therapy results back last week, and was basically a wreck about it - in that there was nothing new to me there, but it was just frightening to me how... mentally broken/high rating on schemas I was.
By that I mean that the general feedback from my psychologist was "you have a lot of work to do", and it's just...really frustrating, in that I feel that I've been fucking trying SO HARD to get on top of things - to get back into work, to clean my place, exercise, eat properly for my conditions, etc etc, and I have very little to show for it.
I didn't lie to my tdoc - I told her that I felt like I was at the bottom of a hamster wheel that doesn't even go around so that there's highs and lows in life - I'm just stuck at the bottom, watching everyone else on top. She's now wondering if I'm ready for therapy...which doesn't sound good, and doesn't make sense - if I wasn't ready for therapy, why did I track her down?
It's just...super frustrating, as I thought I'd found this awesome therapist who could help me, and we could work on pinpointing what is wrong, and turning things around. Now I'm questioning the concept of therapy as a whole again. I mean, the concept of its only going to work if you *truly believe*. Last time I looked, therapy was not religion.
I don't know. I need to sleep on this, I think. It's just a difficult spot I'm in.

1 hour ago, cipher said:

I got the schema therapy results back last week, and was basically a wreck about it - in that there was nothing new to me there, but it was just frightening to me how... mentally broken/high rating on schemas I was.
By that I mean that the general feedback from my psychologist was "you have a lot of work to do", and it's just...really frustrating, in that I feel that I've been fucking trying SO HARD to get on top of things - to get back into work, to clean my place, exercise, eat properly for my conditions, etc etc, and I have very little to show for it.
I didn't lie to my tdoc - I told her that I felt like I was at the bottom of a hamster wheel that doesn't even go around so that there's highs and lows in life - I'm just stuck at the bottom, watching everyone else on top. She's now wondering if I'm ready for therapy...which doesn't sound good, and doesn't make sense - if I wasn't ready for therapy, why did I track her down?
It's just...super frustrating, as I thought I'd found this awesome therapist who could help me, and we could work on pinpointing what is wrong, and turning things around. Now I'm questioning the concept of therapy as a whole again. I mean, the concept of its only going to work if you *truly believe*. Last time I looked, therapy was not religion.
I don't know. I need to sleep on this, I think. It's just a difficult spot I'm in.

I'm similar, and can relate a lot to this. Did she say the stuff about believing in it? Perhaps she meant that for you meds would provide a basis of improvement/stability that would make therapy easier. But I wasn't there, so this is just throwing around a vaguely-hopeful reading.

Tri

I'm not taking meds - I've been down that path, and tried many, but nothing really helped, and when you're diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, they tend to recommend going without if you're able (and no judgement here - I do totally get people who make the decision to try/continue with meds - do what works for you).
I'm paraphrasing what she said, and it's definitely something I should follow up in email. The basic gist of it was that she was questioning whether I was "ready for therapy". It's the whole am I invested enough, do I really want this to work, etc etc type stuff. Who goes into therapy hoping it will fail?

10 hours ago, cipher said:

I'm not taking meds - I've been down that path, and tried many, but nothing really helped, and when you're diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, they tend to recommend going without if you're able (and no judgement here - I do totally get people who make the decision to try/continue with meds - do what works for you).
I'm paraphrasing what she said, and it's definitely something I should follow up in email. The basic gist of it was that she was questioning whether I was "ready for therapy". It's the whole am I invested enough, do I really want this to work, etc etc type stuff. Who goes into therapy hoping it will fail?

There's a degree of "We've got to try this to be a Good Patient, it's going to be unhelpful, but let's get it over with" that I'm aware that we struggle not to let ruin things before they've started, so I'd say that there can be an element of self-sabotage in some people's approach to therapy. However, a healthy dose of skepticism about someone holding potentially a lot of power over your psyche & what frameworks their operating from is often mischaracterised as such.

So.. Ultimately it's up to you whether you think that's the case. Maybe she's just the wrong psych for you?

Tri

Hey, sorry I didn't see this sooner. I assumed my thread was dead.

Have you had therapy before? Maybe she thinks that schema therapy might be too intense right now? Maybe working on management strategies might be more helpful. I obviously don't know your situation but from reading about this it seems pretty intense & I don't know about how I would go jumping into it without habinv done much in the past. It still seems pretty intense to me. I definitely think you should find someone who will work with you in whatever capacity you're up for. I feel like the schema questions are built to trap us bpd's in a lot of them. My psych just chose the ones that were to most relatable or the ones I felt like were the most pressing. Plus there are 'modes' which are like a combination of schemas which might help narrow them down. I ended up with a lot but they felt like they really fit when looking at them through the modes option. Maybe she'll go through that with you next time too? Sorry for just spewing ideas out there as I can't get your responses right away. Good luck with it if you go ahead or with whatever you feel is best.

I've had tons of therapy - seen a psychiatrist for a year, done various group therapies, seen so many psychologists i've lost count. 
It just feels like regardless of previous therapy that I've done, and trying, it doesn't count. "Oh, you've done all this? Well, that's not enough...start again!"

I've asked my therapist to get their supervisors take on what's happening, and what an appropriate way forward might be - so I'll get in touch and see what she says.

I think this article nails it for me, even thought they're talking about fitness: http://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2017-01-23/you-say-you-want-to-get-fit-but-do-you-really/8203950
"When you stop burying your head in the sand, things get really uncomfortable. And that's where real change happens. It's messy and scary and eventually awesome. Trust me, I've seen it happen."
my head is not buried in the sand here. Things have been uncomfortable. Maybe it's a case of making them more uncomfortable - in that I'm reliant on my parents at the age of 43 to pay my mortgage instead of simply going out and attempting to get work. I don't know. I just feel completely unhireable right now, and it's just so hard to turn that around.

I guess that's kinda where I was at too. Idk if I said & I CBC going back to see what I wrote but when my psych came to me with this as an option I had said "I've done dbt & act & it just feels like bandaid, there's deep shit going on that I can't get over". That's when she spoke to her supervisor & found this. So if you want to do it, push for it. She shouldn't deny you just because you have a lot of the schemas or it'll be hard coz it'll be blood hard no matter which way you go.

if you're interested my psych told me about a book that explained schema really well & is kinda like an intro to & a self help book for schema. Not because you should be helping yourself but just in case you want to learn more about it. It looks & sounds wanky af but it is actually good; "reinventing your life" by Jeffrey Young & Janet Klosko

thanks remnants, i'll check ""reinventing your life" by Jeffrey Young & Janet Klosko" out...

life reinvention is basically it.

On 1/17/2017 at 2:15 PM, cipher said:

I've never heard of Schema Therapy - actually looks interesting, like an integrated combo of every Therapy

Is there like initially a test you take as an assessment of your functioning? is it very structured or more fluid/open ended?

Edited by cloudmonger

They're scaled questions 1-5 of how much certain statements apply to you. Basically the questions are for an overview of your schema's. They're like the thoughts that trip you up in life, like; 'I'm worthless' or 'I'm alone in the world' or 'people are out to get me'. It does sound interesting & it seems good they are supposedly drawing on the best bits of other therapies. We'll see.

Remnants nailed it above. What I found really great, but also super confronting is that without having to get into the nitty gritty of "so, why are you here, and what is your story" the questionnaire really helps a therapist get a better idea of what they're dealing with in a session, instead of talking over 10. The difficult part is that...just seeing how bad things are.

• Like 1