CrazyBoards.org

Should I just throw in the towel and file? I'm filing for SSDI so what the heck.

My bills are only student loans and medical bills, with no more than 5k in commercial/consumer debt.

I just can't take the harrassment anymore. I got rid of my home phone service and now only have a prepaid cell phone because of asshole creditors/credit collectors and of course, telemarketers (who won't go away if I get a home phone...darn).

I joyfully give up and give in. Nothing more to say...

---------loon----------

You might not owe enough to file bankruptcy...and student loans are not dischargable. Your best bet may be a credit counceling service.

Try getting a couple of free cosultations...one with an attorney, another with a credit service. BEWARE...there are some bad credit services out there. Do your homework (BBB, etc..) and find a good one.

• 3 weeks later...

Telemarketers?  You can register online---with your email account---for the Do Not Call Registry---do a search for it on Google.

As for bankruptcy---I believe there was a law that was passed last October that made it difficult to file for it.  And student loans are no longer forgiven if you file for bankruptcy.  But if you don't sign up for direct deposit, I am not sure that they can garnish your SSDI/SSI check.  I believe they cannot, but I am not entirely sure.

I have always wondered about medical debt.  I mean, if you are picked up by the ambulance, and you get taken into the ER, and driven by the ambulance, and you don't have insurance, and cannot work, say because you have a mental illness, and you don't have insurance, and you don't have a job, and have no assets or resources, how can you possibly even work out a payment plan?

By the way, debts expire after 7 years.  (most of them, anyways).  Laws vary from state to state, but in some states, collection agencies can call your house a maximum of three times per week.  Also, I believe reading that in some states, you have a right to tell the collection agency that you prefer that they do business with you by mail rather than telephone; I don't know if this is true.

Archived