CrazyBoards.org

Is this one of those icky side effects that eventually wear off?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. This is a ''I should not be taking one or both of these medications'' side effect.

Honestly, if you can find another med, you should probably stay away from the Wellbutrin. Your brain was not happy, and you should definately call your doctor asap.

This isn't a normal thing.

But you haven't been taking those two meds for a long time, so it won't be a problem to just not take them until you can talk to your doctor first.

The jitteryness usually does happen with wellbutrin for a while most times, but the other stuff are actually usually signs that it isn't really the best med for you.

Just trying to get a really good sleep tonite and taking the clonazepam as usual will help if you still feel a little out of it at all.

Let know what your doctor says.

~navy~

My experience with Wellbutrin has not been good: increased anxiety and tremors. Every once in a while my pdoc will suggest Wellbutrin and I have to remind him that I've contraindicated it for me (I took Wellbutrin before I was seeing him). I think he's maybe overworked.

I haven't had much fun with Buspar, either. Spaciness, fogginess, confusion, feeling like I was on LSD (and it's been 25 years since I last took it) -- all the symptoms of too much serotonin.

Listen to what your gut is telling you about these meds.

Seems to me that you have OCD tendencies.  Since you're taking buspirone, which is for severe anxiety it makes no sense why your pdoc would rx WB.  WB usually adgitate your anxiety.  I don't knopw anyhting about buspirone but that may be creating these effects too.  WB will initially make you either adgitated or nervous or speedy.  These s/e tend to go away.  WHat dose of WB are you taking?  Doesn't seem to me that WB is the best AD for you.  I'm really curious why your pdoc would rx that when you already have anxiety issues.  Itseems that the buspirone and klonopin would take care of that by themself.

Is this one of those icky side effects that eventually wear off?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. This is a ''I should not be taking one or both of these medications'' side effect.

Let know what your doctor says.

~navy~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you.  I called my pdoc and left a message.  I will add what she says when she calls back.  I am not taking either of those 2 new meds until we talk.

I haven't had much fun with Buspar, either. Spaciness, fogginess, confusion, feeling like I was on LSD (and it's been 25 years since I last took it) -- all the symptoms of too much serotonin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't taken LSD in several years, either, but the feeling was very similar accept no fun at all.  I didn't know this was a symtpom of too much serotonin.  Thank you.

Seems to me that you have OCD tendencies.  Since you're taking buspirone, which is for severe anxiety it makes no sense why your pdoc would rx WB.  WB usually adgitate your anxiety.  I don't knopw anyhting about buspirone but that may be creating these effects too.  WB will initially make you either adgitated or nervous or speedy.  These s/e tend to go away.  WHat dose of WB are you taking?  Doesn't seem to me that WB is the best AD for you.  I'm really curious why your pdoc would rx that when you already have anxiety issues.  Itseems that the buspirone and klonopin would take care of that by themself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What makes you mention OCD?  After reading about OCD on crazyboards, I think I do have a light touch of it.  I haven't mentioned this to my pdoc because we've only seen each other a few times and I came in saying, "I'm raging pissed all the time" and she said, "You have depression" and I said, "No, I'm not sad or numb.  I'm frustrated that things are beyond my control," and she said, "Oh, you have anxiety" and gave me Klonapin which has definately helped so I agreed it must be anxiety.  I am anxious a lot.  Sometimes cleaning like a mad woman until things sparkle can help me overcome the anxiety (OCD? ;) ) but not always, and then the family messes it up anyhow.  Pdoc kept on with the idea that I probably do have depression, just not as severe as I used to experience it (15 yrs or so ago).  I said no SSRI's because my sister completely wigged out on them.  We finally agreed to try Wellbutrin.  And the buspirone is because we were discussing using a stronger anti-anxiety med but I'm afraid of becoming addicted to Xanax so it would be my last resort.

Ughh.  My pdoc just called back.  I'm starting to wonder if she is the right one for me... She said that she thinks it was the Wellbutrin because buspar is very mild, but she can't be sure so I should experiment by taking whichever one I'm more comfortable with and just take an extra klonapin if I need to.  I pointed out that the "shocks" started when I took the buspar, could it be the combination of the 2?  Because it was intense and several hours after I swallowed the Wellbutrin, several minutes after I swallowed the Buspar.  "Oh, it may be," she said, "You can experiment if your comfortable with that.  We have an appt in a couple of weeks and we'll talk about a different antidepressant". 

But PDOC, I'm not SEEING you for DEPRESSION.  I'm ANGRY.  And you are making me more ANGRY because you are literally f***ing with my head. No.  I don't feel comfortable taking either of them now.  Shock treatment was not supposed to be on the menu.

For me my anxiety was obsessing about things, trying to strive for perfection.  I wasn't dx with OCD but I have a few tendencies ie the one I listed.  WHat is it that triggers your anxiety.  I don't know much about buspar so I can't say anything about that.  WB does take 4 weeks to kick in for the depression effect but you feel the s/e pretty immediately.  What dose, mg are you taking of WB?  How much Klonopin too?  Where did the xanax come from?

Just a wild thought, but have you considered the possibility of some type of BP? Anxiety, irritability, anger, and so forth -- especially with a history of depression -- can be a sign of BP. You may want to read Mood swings without "manic" episodes: Bipolar II -- more than plain depression, but never delusional or psychotic.

If this fits, you might do better with a mood stabilizer.

For me my anxiety was obsessing about things, trying to strive for perfection.  I wasn't dx with OCD but I have a few tendencies ie the one I listed.  WHat is it that triggers your anxiety.  I don't know much about buspar so I can't say anything about that.  WB does take 4 weeks to kick in for the depression effect but you feel the s/e pretty immediately.  What dose, mg are you taking of WB?  How much Klonopin too?  Where did the xanax come from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get obsessed about my grades in college.  When I get a lower grade then I expected, I feel like I didn't learn everything I was supposed to and I go back and try to learn whatever I missed.  This was putting me really behind in one class last quarter and led to a nervous breakdown.  Finally I just quit trying so hard in that class, which felt like giving up, but I did all right afterall.  I'm trying to remember that this quarter.  But that's when I started asking for help, a referral to a pdoc, please. 

I also get obsessed about my house being clean enough.  It isn't.  Ever.  I tried to do ALL the housekeeping myself so at least it would be done good enough.  I'm sure this contributed to the above mentioned nervous breakdown.  I've finally conceded to let my kids help out with the chores.  It might not be up to my standards, but at least it gives me some relief that I don't have to do everything myself.

Mostly I get these ideas in my head of how things should be, and reality never seems to measure up.  I am trying to elimate my use of the word "should" because of this.  I was always very angry about the gap between my desires and reality and the Klonapin has helped me feel less agitated about that gap and accepting the reality of things without feeling so much like I've given up.  It's helping me slowly change my perspective.

My sister takes Xanax and she loves it.  I asked my pdoc about it and she was very hesitant.  She said that people who get on Xanax are usually on it for life because they come to enjoy some special buzz that comes along with the tranquility of a benzo.  So I decided to stay away from Xanax. 

My klonapin is .5mg pills but I usually break them in half.  I usually take 2-3 half pills daily but sometimes I only need 1 dose midday.  I definately take more near my period.  This has helped me control my rages, which were really not healthy for my kids and was my goal for getting help.  During stressful situations I take the whole pill.

I told my pdoc at our last appt that I cry alot more because I'm not getting angry.  Like I was using anger to avoid feeling hurt, and now I can't avoid it.  She is convinced I am depressed, but I just don't think depression is the root problem.  I think it is the result.  I don't think my seratonin levels are off.  I think my expectations are out of whack.  But she thinks I am in denial of my depression and rx'ed the Wellbutrin, as well as the buspar since I was asking about different tranquilizers.  She also keeps saying that because I used to smoke (quit 3 yrs ago) that I will really like the Wellbutrin.  That people who like nicotine like Wellbutrin.  I think this is odd.

Klonapin is .5 mg, usually broken in 1/2. 1-3x per day as needed.

Wellbutrin SR is 150mg once daily for 14 days then 2x daily

Buspar (buspirone) 10mg 3xdaily

Just a wild thought, but have you considered the possibility of some type of BP? Anxiety, irritability, anger, and so forth -- especially with a history of depression -- can be a sign of BP. You may want to read Mood swings without "manic" episodes: Bipolar II -- more than plain depression, but never delusional or psychotic.

If this fits, you might do better with a mood stabilizer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll read that.  Thanks.  I've started to consider that I have everything!  ;) It's just that I keep functioning on the outside, no matter what kind of turmoil is on the inside, so for years I have felt like something is wrong with me but just chalked it up to being a freak, weirdo, nerd, or whatever.  But I'm beginning to believe that I want help.  I'm not containing the turmoil so well anymore.

I was initially dx with situational depression not clinical.  But I have since realized its my anxiety that has led me to be depressed.  My pdoc suggested that I take klonopin on a regular basis to keep me even.  I would think that would work best .  I only take .5mg twice a day.  Once before bed and then again around 10am.  I actualy may need to increase but I'm giving it a while until I really think I need to.  Xanax is more for immediate help.  Its for panic attacks basically right when it happens.  So yes I would suspect that if you take that regular you would get a buzz.  And I think thats what makes its the most addictive of the benzos.  Which it is.  Let me know if youhave anymore questions.  I love learning things.

On a side note WB is also the same thing as Zyban the quit smoking drug.  I did smoke less once I was on it for a month.  BUt then I quit b/c I had to for surgery.  Two weeks before and two weeks after.  I had a few cigs last night while drinking and haven't smoked today at all. 

Thanks Bianca.  Today I feel so much better that I can hardly remember why I was even willing to take the Wellbutrin.  I'm starting to notice a pattern and I believe it corresponds with my cycle, although some months it seems to be more intense than others so I wasn't sure at first. 

But I think that like you, I don't really have clinical depression, it is more of a result of the anxiety which is definately triggered by perfection issues. 

The bipolar II definition and OCD definition both list a lot of my symtoms, too, but they are not severe or long lasting enough to affect my functioning in general.  With the help of Klonapin, of course.  So I think I'll just stick to this one med and not experiment.

Thanks eveyone  ;)

Sounds like a good option for you.  Just make sure to give it a mont to make sure you're ok.  You should really consider taking the k on a regular basis.  I take .5mg before bed and another .5mg around 10am ish.... Buspar if basically the same thing as k but its non addicting.  I'm wondering if it woulfd be better for you to just be on that instead of the k.  k=benzo and buspar is not... That could be an option to.  Let me know what happens.

Dumb mistake on my part, but I figured out which pill I had a reaction to.  Tonight I ran out the door for class, forgot I put that buspirone in my bag still, (usually I only have the klonopin and advil in there) and I accidently took a buspirone instead of a klonopin.  I figured it out when my face got all tingly, though!  As soon as I felt it I KNEW what I'd done.  So tonight I 1) removed the buspirone from my bag and haven't decided if I should throw it away or what, and 2) looked it up online.

Busparone, according to http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-b03.html#Head_3 can cause paresthesia, which is a tingling sensation; noise intolerance, euphoria/feeling high, hallucinations, and slurred speech.  There are lots of other side effects listed, but these are the ones that teamed up on me.  I'd say they all blended together into one intense experience. 

So, Busparone and punksailor do not play well together.

edited to add that the pills are different colors but same size/shape in same size bottles.  I took it in very dim light and didn't notice the difference. 

Do those s/e go away over time?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think so.  The way I read it, 10% of the people who were guinea pigs for the drug when it was experimental dropped out of the experiment because of the adverse reactions.  There were more adverse reactions listed than I experienced, but some of the ones I did experience were listed as "rare".

I read somewhere that you are into biology so you might already know the following or maybe you'll find it interesting. 

I kept my psych 101 and biology 105 books from school and I'm trying to wrap my brain around why drugs help/hurt by understanding what's going on at the cellular level.  Busparone works on dopamine receptors and has the opposite effect of antipsychotics.  I suppose that this could mean that anybody who might be a tad psychotic would respond by experiencing psychotic reactions.  That would make sense as far as explaining some of the adverse effects.  Like hallucinations and extreme sensitivity to sound.  I felt a little like I was on LSD.  A little psychotic.

Also, dopamine affects nuerons involved in voluntary muscle movement.  One of the long term side effects of taking either busparone or many of the anti-psychotic drugs is that after long term exposure (15-20 years) some people have developed psuedo-parkinsons symptoms and start shaking.  I don't know enough to speculate as to whether the tingly electric sensation could be a sign that I am one of those people who would get that, and I had no plans to stay on tranquilizers for more than a few years anyhow.  But I do think that the electric tingling was an extreme overstimulation of those neurons by dopamine. 

Now Klonopin and most other tranquilizers increase the activity of GABA which "is the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain" (right out of my textbook).  It seems like my brain is just too busy and excited (anxious) all the time and the inhibition is the best thing for it.  Klonopin will get me through school without completely spazzing out.  When I feel anxious it seems like the solution is to get whatever is bugging me set into perfect order.  When I'm not able to maintain perfection I get angry and depressed and do something stupid.  Clinically, I think that would translate into when I begin to experience uncontrolled anxiety I display tendancies of OCD which can lead to bipolar behaviors.  The key for me is to manage my anxiety. 

I am going to ask my pdoc if she does any cognitive or existential therapy work because I think what would work best in the long run is an attitude adjustment.  I've started doing what I can to work on this by myself, but a guide would be most helpful.  The Klonopin works great right for now but I don't want to depend on it forever. 

I really appreciate the thoughts and questions you've shared.  It's made me really look into what is going on and given me more answers to other questions I had.  Thanks ;)

Hi punksailor,

I've got similar issues with anxiety that leads to depression. I've been on fluozetine (prozac) and buspirone for a while, with occasional lorazepam for bad anxious moments. The fluoxetine did a good job of eliminating the depression, but I never got anxiety relief from it (which is supposed to come with large doses). That's why my pdoc added the buspirone.

The buspirone is very subtle and sometimes I wonder if it has any effect on me. I am less anxious than when I started taking it four months ago, but that could just be a factor of time. My pdoc had me take much less buspirone to start. I took 5 mg 2x/day for a week, then 10 mg 2x/day for a week, and then 15mg 2x/day. You are probably right about buspirone not being good for you, but I thought I'd mention the titration approach.

--Weasel

Archived