Inpatient Treatment for Sleep

Hello, 

I've been having SO much trouble finding actual treatment for my hypersomnia.  I've looked therapeutic farms, etc. but everyone is afraid of taking in someone with a sleep disorder!  I actually tried one and they were terrible and not understanding at all (long story).  I can't find any treatment centers!! Just medication.  I don't need anything super intense, just a place where I can reside while working on my sleep.  I just graduated high school, but with 80 absences in the last year alone!! Please help.  By the way, I am 18 years old and female.  If there is something out there, I am willing to cross state borders.  I am very desperate and need help before I start college this fall.  Thanks!

More info: Every time I search for sleep centers, they only offer testing/diagnostic stuff and no actual treatment.  I have spent countless hours researching and come up with absolutely zero results.

I want to welcome you to CB! 

I'm sorry you are having a hard time finding a sleep center that helps you in a way that you need it to.

So are you looking for a sleep center that helps with hypersomnia, as well as adjusting meds while there, to help you?  Or are you looking for a place where you don't have to take meds?

Are you on any meds now?  Do you see a therapist (tdoc) and/or a psychiatrist (pdoc)?

Sorry for all the questions ... was looking for more information to see if I could be of more help.

FWIW ... I have hypersomnia also, and take provigil for it, as well as wellbutrin.  Works for me, not 100%, but compared to before meds it is so much better.

Edited by melissaw72

11 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

I want to welcome you to CB! 

Thanks!  Right now I have a therapist who is also my psychiatrist.  I am taking paxil (for anxiety/depression), although I think it is wearing off, and I recently started taking Provigil.  I had stopped because I didn't think it was doing anything, but it was obvious that it was once I stopped.  So, I started taking it again, and will be gradually increasing my dose, under the hope that it just wasn't strong enough as I needed before.  So, I am willing to take meds, but I have a traumatic history of being forcefully overprescribed as a minor (I am now 18 and I appreciate my legal age more than you could know).  However, I do not have a ton of faith in them and am cautious.  I would like somewhere that doesn't put a huge emphasis on pharmaceuticals.  It's waking up and staying up that I need the most support in, so it makes sense for it to be somewhere residential.  However, I do NOT want a typical psychiatric hospital setting (also traumatic history, those places are seriously fucked).  Anyway, I've had severe sleep problems for the longest time and even if you can't help me out, it is certainly nice to have someone who understands. :)  At its worst, I've been in bed for literally weeks on end (it felt like a different world, VERY scary), and more recently have been sent to the ER in an ambulance for IV fluid after getting severely dehydrated because I was sleeping so much I didn't even drink.  I have had a long history with sleep and other issues and really badly want to obliterate some of them before beginning college and start anew.  Thanks for your quick reply btw

11 minutes ago, TryingISwear said:

However, I do NOT want a typical psychiatric hospital setting (also traumatic history, those places are seriously fucked). 

I hear you.  BTDT.  Not specifically for sleep, but in general.  I mean some people might see the good in hospital settings, but there is no way in hell I would ever put myself in the position of landing myself in one anymore.

14 minutes ago, TryingISwear said:

Anyway, I've had severe sleep problems for the longest time and even if you can't help me out, it is certainly nice to have someone who understands. :)

I have the sleep problems also.  Insomnia as a kid, then that went back to normal, and FF to 2006 when I started a med, the med didnt' work and side effects affecting sleep and eating.  And when I went off of it both those side effects never went away ... which is why I have sleep problems to this day. I would love to get a full night of sleep.

I hope you can find a place that will help you work on your sleep.  Not sleeping a full night can be so frustrating, especially if it happens all of the time.  I can understand why you want to work on it before college starts up again.