CrazyBoards.org

what anti depressant works best?

since i'm tappering off effexor, i want all y'alls opinions on what anti depressant works well with BPI.  and don't mention anything with weight gain or sexual side effects.  i won't take it.  XD

there is a chance i won't need an anti depressant, but just in case i want your opinions.  the only other anti depressant i have been on is paxil and i hated it.  so don't tell me that's a good one.  lols.

anyways thanks in advance.

ahhh another efexor-comer-offer..... ;) join the club!

(I've just started coming down to 75 from 150...you?)

I'm on mirtazapine/remeron....haven't had any weight issuse with it, and although I'm not sexually active, if the material I'm working on in therapy is anything to go by, there's no probs on the sexual front either....

but people do vary, metabolism and suchlike....

ahhh another efexor-comer-offer..... ;) join the club!

(I've just started coming down to 75 from 150...you?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

300 to 150.

yeah it's been hell.

i'll ask my pdoc tomorrow, i'd really like to get off an AD completely, but sometimes I just find myself so depressed, that I'm convinced I NEED one.

i'll ask my pdoc tomorrow, i'd really like to get off an AD completely, but sometimes I just find myself so depressed, that I'm convinced I NEED one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You probably do, if you find that depression is a huge part of your illness and you have been through a few meds already.

As far as side effects go- no one wants to hear it, but everyone knows that most meds will have some side effects.  I think a huge part of the problem, though, is that it's hard to get through the sucky part and let your body adjust long enough so that they decrease or [hopefully] go away.

A lot of times the bad ones get a lot better.

I can't really say what will help, but I do agree about the AD effects of lamictal.

That did make a difference with some of the depression and also with some intrusive thinking. sometimes it can have some anxiety effects  but I have done well with it.

Wellbutrin may be good, depending on what else you are taking. But it, too can have anxiety and also insomnia effects.

I have heard a lot of positive things about lexapro, but never taken it.

I am supposed to try it pretty soon though.

I'll let you know.

And also, how things will effect you- one of the things that is really hard about asking what is the bet Antidepressant is that, like everyone has said, we all react differently. But more than that, there are also interactions between the meds that some of us are taking and why we are taking the meds. It's like doing math, factoring in all the different variables to see how it applies to you.

I hope you keep that in mind and if you find something that seems to be working, just give it a chance.

On the other hand, make sure you don't torture yourself just because your doctor wants you to 'give it just one more week' if the side-effects are intolerable.

I have done that too many times and it just wasn't worth it.

Hope you come across something useful and do better than you did with the Effexor.

I hope the appointment goes well. [or went well, by the time you read this. sorry if I'm a little late to the party]

~navy~

For me I have found that old school meds are best for me. That goes for all meds.

SSRI's were nothing but trouble for me, but of course with my high levels of anxiety, they kept pushing them on me.

Wellbutrin did a little to help me, and that helped me realize that I don't need an SSRI. Serotonin is not my problem.

I am now on amitriptyline and it seems to be working and I'm not even at a normal dose yet.

That's my experience,

Ameth

Archived