CrazyBoards.org

Appetite issues from Adderall and wellbutrin

because of acid reflux issues (that nexium isn't fixing yet) and adderall and wellbutrin i have 0 appetite.  not just 0... food actually repulses me.

but i'm hypoglycemic.  if i go too long w/o eating, all these meds are useless b/c i collapse into either a crying fit or a spaced out lump.  (my hypo was dx'd in 7th grade and confirmed by THREE boyfriends who all independently figured out that if i was crying for no reason, the best thing to do is to give me orange juice.)

i try to eat something every 3 hours to keep my blood sugar up.

i feel odd eating with friends b/c eating half a sandwich is torture...

so far my strategies are:

1. Protein Shakes (in cans from the health food store since i can't do slim fast b/c the dairy will just further fuck up my tummy)

2. odwalla juice smoothies.

3. choking down as much of a cliff bar as i can stand

4. nuts

any other ideas????

my meds are working.  i love that.  but i miss enjoying food.  i hate that it's a chore.  i hate that solid foods are a struggle. 

i recently lost a lot of muscle mass when bed ridden with an unrelated illness... and i really don't want to loose more. 

HALP!!??

Well, as someone wth ED-nos (mostly binge-typeI guessyou couldalways do the reverse of me, lol

Try to keep what you CAN eat within sight.

If you have the money and some skinny friends, start going

out for dinner or lunch, girls/guys night out type of deal.

Pick up some cookbooks at a Goodwill or even compile some from the internet, and keepit around

Sorry, I'm just getting over the flu cant sit upright long, but I promise

I will add more:)

Try to keep what you CAN eat within sight.

i'll try

If you have the money and some skinny friends, start going

out for dinner or lunch, girls/guys night out type of deal.

yeah... but i still feel weird b/c no matter what i don't eat as much as other people.  waiters even ask me if there was something wrong with the food...

Sorry, I'm just getting over the flu cant sit upright long, but I promise

I will add more:)

eek

feel beter!

thanks for replying while sick.  now back to bed!!!

yeah... but i still feel weird b/c no matter what i don't eat as much as other people.  waiters even ask me if there was something wrong with the food...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been trhough the same thing myself. Even now people will say "oh, you eat like a bird."

Screw what other people think. And when the waiter asks you if you liked the food tell him the truth -- I am very honest in my opionions when asked -- if you liked the food ask for the remainng meal to be boxed and take it home. If you liked it then maybe you will enjoy nibbling on some of it for the next day or two. If you didn't like the food, then say so. Or you can keep it simple and just say "everything was fine, thank you. Will you bring me my bill now, please".

Erika, who you do not want to go out to dinner with if you are bothered by honest opinons or get emabrassed when I ask that food be taken back to the kitchen and prepared again this time to my liking

Are you sure you don't have diabetes?  When I first started Cymbalta I was the same way for at least 2 months or so.  Then I added WB and went through having no appetite again.  It was good for me b/c I wanted to lose a few lbs, which I really didn't need to do.  Now I'm back to having I guess what you call a regular appetitie but I haven't gained anyway weight back and for a while there I was weighing myself every few days and I still kept dropping a lb or two.  How long have you been taking these meds?

Are you sure you don't have diabetes?  When I first started Cymbalta I was the same way for at least 2 months or so.  Then I added WB and went through having no appetite again.  It was good for me b/c I wanted to lose a few lbs, which I really didn't need to do.  Now I'm back to having I guess what you call a regular appetitie but I haven't gained anyway weight back and for a while there I was weighing myself every few days and I still kept dropping a lb or two.  How long have you been taking these meds?

yeah, i'm 100% sure i don't have diabetes.  i was tested in jr high (when i was official dx'd with hypoglycemia, which is why i have to make sure i eat every few hours) and i get my blood sugar tested at least every 6 months because i am at high risk for type II.  but no, i have kind of the opposite of diabetes.

i've been on adderall for a year, but recently added a second ir dose in the evening, and wellbutrin for a week.  the appetite thing has been an issue for a while... but the upped adderall + the wellbutrin + a recent death in the family have just killed my appetite and brought my acid reflux back with a vengeance.  (another reason i have to make sure to eat, acid reflux is worse if you don't eat at all)

anywhoo.  no, no diabetes.  and i'm very happy with the med switches, i just want to keep my weight where it is, that's all.

Don't worry about the waiters.

For some reason I can eat all day at home, but when I go for a meal,

I take too bites and I'm full.

I just tell the waiter it was great, my eyes where just too big for my stomch, and tell him some specifics about the food that I could

get down, that it was cooked perfectly or the seasoning was great

I think most food service people are used to a great many people

getting doggie bags.

Can you think of any new ways to fix food?

Like, you said you can eat nuts. Off the top of my head, I can think

of making nut flour and making piecrust. I've put nuts

into soups before.

Any food you've always wanted to try?Never took Adderall, but with

Wellburtin, the hunger came back after a month or so.

I find having ready made stuff/other people's leftovers around

(like Thanksgiving style leftovers, where they give you a TON

of stuff because they think you'll somehow manage to eat

turkey again!) makes me eat more and  cooking in double batches

can help.

Sorry for getting back so late.

I know you have other issues (bloodsugar and such) to deal with,

but try not to worry too much. Your doc's WILL notice, and there

are ways to take care of it, should it become serious.

Eating when your not hurgery and worrying about it is like worrying

about money and your sex life.

The more you worry about sex, the less you tend to get,

the moreyou worry about moey, the more you...well, worry,lol

I'm dealing with this issue now, as well. I've lost 25 lbs over the past year---most of it within the past couple of months. I've gone from a 10-12 to a size 6. Even my underwear is getting too big. My doctor doesn't think it's the meds---but nothing tastes right or appeals to me! Maybe I'm more depressed than the doctor thought. I have an appt tomorrow and am down 2 lbs from 2 weeks ago.

I feel for you Penny.

Diane

I'm dealing with this issue now, as well. I've lost 25 lbs over the past year---most of it within the past couple of months. I've gone from a 10-12 to a size 6. Even my underwear is getting too big.

isn't having your underwear be too big a strange feeling? jeans is like, ok i lost weight, underwear is somehow unnerving.

My doctor doesn't think it's the meds---but nothing tastes right or appeals to me! Maybe I'm more depressed than the doctor thought. I have an appt tomorrow and am down 2 lbs from 2 weeks ago.

I feel for you Penny.

Diane

i hope you figure out what it is.  i know what you mean, nothing tastes good and is appetizing. i dunno.  it sucks.  meh.  let me know how the appointment goes, ok?

penny

I've lost 40 pounds since September.  I'm on wellbutrin, abilify, lexapro, klonopin, and restoril.  I'm sure one is the culprit, but I seem to be eating just as much as always.  I am diabetic, but I'm a type-II and we tend to gain weight rather than lose it.

Tommy

I've lost 40 pounds since September.  I'm on wellbutrin, abilify, lexapro, klonopin, and restoril.  I'm sure one is the culprit, but I seem to be eating just as much as always.  I am diabetic, but I'm a type-II and we tend to gain weight rather than lose it.

Tommy

has this helped your diabetes?  i know sometimes with type II if you loose weight and get your insulin tolerance back up sometimes it can go away (happened to my aunt, honest.)

penny

(not that i think rapid weight loss is good.  40 since sept... how many lbs a month is that? gah i can't do math in the am.  or pm for that matter.)

Yes, it helps my diabetes, but I have been in tight control of my blood sugar for over six years now.  With medication I was able to have normal long-range (A1c) readings even when I weighed 420 (now hovering below 260).  My sugars were so good that the last time I was hospitalized, they didn't even bother with finger-sticks.

Tommy

Archived