CrazyBoards.org

I found out this week that my official diagnosis from when I was hospitalized for suicidal thoughts is adjustment disorder with anxiety and depression brought on by the stress of dealing with my husband's drinking problem. According to what I've read, once the stressor is gone, the disorder goes away, usually within 3-6 months. What I wonder is, what if you discover there are other stressors, like the husband himself (drunk or sober)? Does the diagnosis change? I know we're just laypeople, but I'd appreciate any insight into adjustment disorder if anyone has experience with it.

Thanks, Diane

Listen, I can't say anything about Adjustment Disorder. Just don't have any knowledge of it myself. However, I have a lot of experience in living and dealing with alcoholics. If you haven't already, get yourself to some Al-Anon meetings. They are extremely helpful in not only learning how to deal with the alcoholic in your life, but with just life, period. I learned some valuable tools there.

Here's the Al-Anon website: http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/english.html -- if you have kids, they have info on Alateen as well. (My stepkids got a lot out of Alateen.)

And here's the meeting guide: http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/meetings/meeting.html

Best wishes,

revlow

Thanks for the info revlow. I am actually involved with Moderation Management, which just started a group for SOs of problem drinkers---partly in response to my current problem. I found MM to be very effective for my own problem drinking and I am extremely committed to helping it gain greater acceptance in the substance abuse treatment community.

diane

Great! I'm glad to hear it. I'm of the "whatever works" philosophy. I'm not a 12-Step fundamentalist.

I did a search with the phrase "Adjustment Disorder" on google. There's a ton of articles. Just glancing at some, it seems they always mention that it's short-lived and in relationship to a distinct stressor. Here's one excerpt from http://www.athealth.com/Consumer/disorders/Adjustment.html:

The conditions associated with adjustment disorder develop within three months of the beginning of the stressful problem. An adjustment disorder usually lasts no longer than three to six months. The condition may persist, however, if an individual is suffering from chronic stress such as that caused by an illness, a difficult relationship, or worsening financial problems.

Which of course you already knew, from what you said in your first post. So far I haven't come across specifics about dx changes. But there are many more articles; maybe you'll find something. And, I'm as clueless as you when it come to where on boards this might fit -- if I get a better idea I'll let you know. I hope you'll get some more responses.

Again, my experience is very limited. I did meet one young man when I was hopitalized in 1978 who had been dx'd with Adjustment Disorder. In his case, the docs said the stressor was his wife's first pregnancy.

Archived