CrazyBoards.org

Wondering if anyone has any good news to share about finding remission from refractory depression! Whether you've been partially or fully successful at getting your life back, please share your story :) 

Since being on the combo Clozapine, Lithium, Adderall, and Cymbalta my refractory depression has almost disappeared. Most significantly, I'm barely suicidal anymore. I think beating refractory depression requires a pdoc that thinks outside of the box about what meds to use. I also believe a combo of more than one drug helps.

Sorry, no advice or stories here, just also hoping for inspiration! I've tried about 15 different meds in every class and combo, plus 30 sessions of TMS and nothing... next step is maoi but I'm waiting on that. 

Mostly im just sick of doctors giving up... GPs brush off my fatigue as depression, had at least 5 pdocs just give up and refer me out, I even had a panic attack and went to urgent care and they reluctantly offered me an SSRI, instead of the benzo I begged for. I stormed out shaking with rage and lucky I made it home. Nothing works, nobody helps, nobody understands, I'm at the end of the road and scared to death. I guess there's still ECT but not excited about that...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, climber47 said:

Sorry, no advice or stories here, just also hoping for inspiration! I've tried about 15 different meds in every class and combo, plus 30 sessions of TMS and nothing... next step is maoi but I'm waiting on that. 

Mostly im just sick of doctors giving up... GPs brush off my fatigue as depression, had at least 5 pdocs just give up and refer me out, I even had a panic attack and went to urgent care and they reluctantly offered me an SSRI, instead of the benzo I begged for. I stormed out shaking with rage and lucky I made it home. Nothing works, nobody helps, nobody understands, I'm at the end of the road and scared to death. I guess there's still ECT but not excited about that...

Hi Climber47 - I feel exactly  the same as you...I've tried about 20 meds with little benefit, more side effects if anything. I get the brush off with GP doctors that are insensitive and just act like depression is normal, like a common cold or something to endure.

I'm told that this is "as good as it gets" yet this constant depressive state is intolerable. I have also been recommended TMS (expensive & time consuming it seems) and ECT (scared of the amnesia risks and/or becoming worse/ unstable)

I feel i'm at the end of the road also...hard to find any hope when doctors are out of ideas (except the extreme ECT stuff or TMS which I cannot afford)

• Like 2

Sorry, not a success story but just wanted to say that I'm also sick of being given up on. Slight progress is considered successful treatment, but that's not enough for me. I don't want to be disabled. I'm currently on a trial of Rexulti but if that doesn't work out, I'm going to ask for ECT. My clinic does TMS, so of course they're gonna recommend that but I think TMS is largely over-hyped and over-marketed by Neurostar. I don't think the success rate is even that good. Modern ECT is much better and more humane than it used to be. After a multi-year depression, I fucking give up. Even with the risk of some memory loss, I say bring on the ECT. I just want to feel like a human being again. I guess ECT has a great success rate. I haven't even tried MAOI's or tricyclics. It's not that I'm against trying them but I just can't afford to wait for these long, 6-12 week medication trials that ultimately fail anyways.

Edited by DopamineSick

7 hours ago, DopamineSick said:

Sorry, not a success story but just wanted to say that I'm also sick of being given up on. Slight progress is considered successful treatment, but that's not enough for me. I don't want to be disabled.

After a multi-year depression, I fucking give up. Even with the risk of some memory loss, I say bring on the ECT. I just want to feel like a human being again. I guess ECT has a great success rate. I haven't even tried MAOI's or tricyclics. It's not that I'm against trying them but I just can't afford to wait for these long, 6-12 week medication trials that ultimately fail anyways.

I know exactly how you feel!!! The slightest bit of progress/stability and doctors just send you on your way. I am so sick of paying thousands of dollars (including expensive hospital stays) withstanding long trials of different drugs only to feel about the same -  often with intolerable side effects...

I'm pretty scared of ECT because I guess I haven't heard many stories, and there is the old perception of treatment (because of the way they did ECT in the past). I've also heard that people have to go through like 20 or more treatments (I'm assuming over a period of many months not all together) So that aspect frightens me also, along with getting much worse possibly.

If you start, please post updates. Maybe eventually i will muster the courage to try ECT if I hear from others.

16 hours ago, cloudmonger said:

I know exactly how you feel!!! The slightest bit of progress/stability and doctors just send you on your way. I am so sick of paying thousands of dollars (including expensive hospital stays) withstanding long trials of different drugs only to feel about the same -  often with intolerable side effects...

I'm pretty scared of ECT because I guess I haven't heard many stories, and there is the old perception of treatment (because of the way they did ECT in the past). I've also heard that people have to go through like 20 or more treatments (I'm assuming over a period of many months not all together) So that aspect frightens me also, along with getting much worse possibly.

If you start, please post updates. Maybe eventually i will muster the courage to try ECT if I hear from others.

If I ever get ECT, I will try to post updates. But you know what's weird? I have a feeling my pdoc won't approve it! There will be some excuse, like I need to try more meds. Or that my current treatment is "successful" (as long as I'm not on the verge of doing myself in on a 24/7 basis). Or that TMS is "better" (because my clinic offers it). I just have very little confidence that my pdoc will approve it. That's just the way things have gone with me and pdocs. I get a lot of resistance even though I'm probably one of the best informed patients they have. 

6 hours ago, DopamineSick said:

I have a feeling my pdoc won't approve it! There will be some excuse, like I need to try more meds. Or that my current treatment is "successful" (as long as I'm not on the verge of doing myself in on a 24/7 basis). Or that TMS is "better" (because my clinic offers it). I just have very little confidence that my pdoc will approve it. That's just the way things have gone with me and pdocs. I get a lot of resistance even though I'm probably one of the best informed patients they have. 

I have the same feeling....like what is considered "successful" treatment? Just because you aren't actively trying to kill yourself and you are not hospital-bound? There are indeed so many barriers to getting the help we need.

• Like 1

Yes! I think my psychiatrist is pretty good. He's the only one that I've went (and I've seen more than a couple) that has recognized I have MDD and not situational depression. He's the only one to read my psychiatric history all the way back to when I was 3 years old. I am worried that after some time he will give up on me. My mom told me I should shoot for a 4/10 depression which breaks my heart. I don't want to be moderately depressed for the rest of my life. I want to be able to function well. I want to be able to brush my teeth everyday. Just because I'm not thinking about dying everyday does not mean I am better :( 

I have a second hand story sort of... I met with a new pdoc, actually an arnp but she's won Seattle top doc awards, etc., for whatever that's worth so I thought I'd try her... she had me do the genetic test to see how meds are metabolized, and said she had a patient just like me, she'd tried every class of med and even ECT, but factors in her genetic test led my doc to prescribe her Pristique, even though she said she never would have tried it because she'd already tried others in that class, but it worked!

if you're in as deep as I am, you've probably had the genetic test but just one more thing to ask for if nothing else has worked.

15 hours ago, climber47 said:

she had me do the genetic test to see how meds are metabolized, and said she had a patient just like me, she'd tried every class of med and even ECT, but factors in her genetic test led my doc to prescribe her Pristique, even though she said she never would have tried it because she'd already tried others in that class, but it worked!

if you're in as deep as I am, you've probably had the genetic test but just one more thing to ask for if nothing else has worked.

I wish I could find a pdoc who I felt really gives a damn. Literally, they all seem to think as long as I'm not sobbing everyday, panicked, homicidal or suicidal I am stable & good to go. It's beyond discouraging....

I really have to exaggerate my symptoms in order for docs to take them seriously. I swear I don't act or present like a know-it-all, yet I've been suffering with this illness, dealing with side effects, researching meds & trying options for 20 years (probably much longer than some doctors have studied) I'd like to think I know a few things or have some good ideas.

docs rarely want to look into research I've read or take my suggestions. I inquire about genetic testing, forward case studies & articles & they just sort of shrug or act like they know nothing about it. Or they feel that pursuing these options is insignificant/useless. I just don't know what to do - I have bare bones insurance and cannot afford spending $500+ on a well known psychiatrist or motivated pdoc.

Edited by cloudmonger