CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
heygrain

Food sensitivities, intolerances and allergies

Hi, I am BP2, and have found in the last few years that I am very sensitive to lots of different foods.  Things like wheat, almonds, cashews, alcohol, corn, etc make me very tired after eating them for around 2hrs.  I mean brain fog, extreme confusion, lethargy, etc.  I also get VERY irritable after a high carb meal, or after a very sugary meal, for at least an hour or two.  I also get shaky and a lot of anxiety if I don't eat every 1.5 - 2hrs.

I realize this sounds like low blood sugar, or blood sugar fluctuations, but I have been tested for low blood sugar and everything has come back negative, but I wonder if I have some type of reactive hypoglycemia where it drops but just not to the level that is detectable on the blood screenings.

I will say this... when I feel better from my BP2, I also seem to have less "episodes" with food, and my symptoms come and go (sometimes corn is fine, sometimes it exhausts me, etc) so I'm wondering how much of this is due to my moods not being stabilized and how much is an intolerance/allergy.  Either way, I definitely get exhausted after eating most meals if they're not super light.  I've also been tested for all major allergens, and all I'm allergic to is shrimp and bass.  :-)

Just wants to see if anyone else has dealt with this... thanks!

Heygrain

5 hours ago, ohjustchillin said:

If you haven't already, you should get your thyroid levels tested. 

I've had it tested and everything was fine.    Thanks.

So just an update on this. I did more research and I've come to the conclusion that I have reactive hypoglycemia.  I googled every symptom that I have, and seriously 60-70% of the things that came back were reactive hypoglycemia.  I've started making sure that when I eat anything with carbs, I also eat protein and fat with it.  I've also started making sure that I eat something before bed (carbs/fat/protein), and that has also helped.

I can safely say that I haven't felt this good in years, and I feel WAY more stable now.  I will update again in a while as I continue to work through this, but wanted to give a heads up.  :)  Thanks!

That’s encouraging. I used to have similar issues and went through all kinds of diet changes. Eventually things seemed to improve and now I’m usually ok unless I get all sugared up. If you found a plan that works, go with it. Sounds like you found the right approach. 

Blood sugars, food intolerance and mood are related. I had to change my diet completely and feel bad whenever I eat certain foods. It was a change of lifestyle