Sweating from Opiates/General Treatments for?

So, uh. I've never been particularly sweaty, besides the odd AD side-effect, but I'm on Tramadol prettymuch forever, and I really can't cope anymore with the heavy sweating, ridiculous amounts of night-sweats, etc, that go with it; It sets off my sensory autism stuff bad enough to make me wonder if the pain of going down to a crappier-pain-med is a net gain, but that would be... Terrible in other ways. Does anyone have any experiences that might be helpful, or know of treatments to recommend? I've heard antihystamines, but I'm already on one for allergies; I can find the dosage/type/etc if that's important.

Thanks,

Whisper

Edited by WinterTidings

11 hours ago, WinterTidings said:

can't cope anymore with the heavy sweating, ridiculous amounts of night-sweats, etc, that go with it

Have you always been sweaty while on the tramadol?  Or did this just start?  Wondering because (and I'm sorry, Idk if this would even relate to you or not, but FWIW) I started getting the crazy night sweats for no reason, and they found I was in peri-menopause.

Just now, melissaw72 said:

Have you always been sweaty while on the tramadol?  Or did this just start?  Wondering because (and I'm sorry, Idk if this would even relate to you or not, but FWIW) I started getting the crazy night sweats for no reason, and they found I was in peri-menopause.

I'm trans, so that's kinda.. Not a risk-factor for me. ^^;; I recall it coming on with the Tramadol, have discussed with partner whether it was progesterone changes instead, but.. It seems unlikely given the timescale/changes since.

Whis

Edited by WinterTidings

2 minutes ago, WinterTidings said:

I'm trans, so that's kinda.. Not a risk-factor for me. ^^;; I recall it coming on with the Tramadol, have discussed with partner whether it was progesterone changes instead, but.. It seems unlikely given the timescale/changes since.

Whis

Oh ok, sorry about that.  I hope that you get it figured out ... I know what the full body sweats are like and they really suck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dtac said:

Perhaps investigating Nucynta (tapentadol) as a tramadol replacement? Similar mechanism of action, but supposed to be fewer side effects. 

I like the idea, but I think paindoc would freak out or just "nope" this; It seems like Tramadol is the ceiling of what the NHS are comfortable prescribing for any chronic pain problems (regardless of cause, unless cancer; in my case it's Ehlers-Danlos Type III), and from skimming Wikipedia this seems a more potent an opioid, which is unlikely to go down well with them. :( Still, I'll ask the pain clinic about this; worst case scenario I get to see an amusing expression on the guy's face.

Whis

Edited by WinterTidings

Tapentadol is supposed to be sort of a last-line non-narcotic pain reliever. It's only been around a few years, but overlooked because of the widespread use of narcotics. Given that it's relatively new, it might not be on NHS list of "allowed" medicines, but you never know.

13 hours ago, dtac said:

Tapentadol is supposed to be sort of a last-line non-narcotic pain reliever. It's only been around a few years, but overlooked because of the widespread use of narcotics. Given that it's relatively new, it might not be on NHS list of "allowed" medicines, but you never know.

https://www.drugs.com/tapentadol.html

According to that link, Tapentadol is a narcotic..?

43 minutes ago, WinterTidings said:

https://www.drugs.com/tapentadol.html

According to that link, Tapentadol is a narcotic..?

You're right ... I just looked it up also:

https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a610006.html

Tapentadol is in a class of medications called opiate (narcotic) analgesics.

Edited by melissaw72
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, dtac said:

My apologies, I was not paying attention. It is indeed a mu-opioid binding agent, as is tramadol, it just holds NRI properties whereas tramadol has SNRI properties. 

It is ok :)  Just didn't want others to get confused!

• Like 1