CrazyBoards.org

I'm going to get the books suggested on crazymeds about getting SSDI, but have a few questions for you guys...

1. Should I write out my info by hand or type?

2. Go alone or bring someone to my interview? If so, who? Just anyone or a med professional?

3. get my own med records and have them notorized so they are official and give them to the person at my interview, or should I let them collect my records?

I'll be happy to hear your replies./...

melinda

1.  I would suggest writing out info by hand, VERY legibly---print---do NOT write in cursive---and have someone else print by hand for you if you cannot print legibly yourself.

2.  For your interview---Are you talking about your consultative examination, or your interview with the claims representative at the field office (SSA office)?  I will assume the field office (SSA office).  If so, do NOT bother to bring a med professional.  The claims representative who conducts the interview is NOT a medical expert, and your goal is NOT to tell him/her how disabled you are.  However, that person is instructed to take notes on how you come to the interview.  E.g. your appearance, demeanor, do you come accompanied with someone, etc. I would bring a family member (ideally), or someone you live with, or a friend.  Be sure to bring identification (driver's license or state ID) and a birth certificate.  Oh, and if you have health insurance, you might want to bring information (name of insurer and address).

3)  Regarding your medical records---if you can get a notarized copy of your medical records, that's great!  Submit them---as this will speed up your claim.  If not, get the full names and addresses, zip codes, phone numbers, even fax numbers if possibles, of all the clinics, doctors, hospitals, psychologists, etc.  If you know the exact names of the doctors you have seen, then that is even better. Try to list dates seen, too.  If you don't know exact dates seen, you can give months and years, or years, or "summer 2004" around Summer 2004 Through May 2005."  If it asks when your next appointment is and you don't know, write "don't know."  If you have had one psychiatrist who has been treating you on an ongoing basis who is your "treating doctor", be sure to mention this in the "Remarks" section of the form.  If you have had psychological testing done, be sure to get the results and interpretations sent, too.

I'm going to get the books suggested on crazymeds about getting SSDI, but have a few questions for you guys...

1. Should I write out my info by hand or type?

2. Go alone or bring someone to my interview? If so, who? Just anyone or a med professional?

3. get my own med records and have them notorized so they are official and give them to the person at my interview, or should I let them collect my records?

I'll be happy to hear your replies./...

melinda

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I applied online...SSA Screening Questionnaire

I did the screening thingee, link above first, then I did my application online. You don't have to get anything notarized, there are no personal interviews. This is what happens:

1. You apply, you provide them with the FULL contact info for all your care providers; they also ask for a 3rd party (my Mom in my case) and me to fill out a questionnaire.

2. They send out all the paperwork, based on the information you provide them, so as many providers as you've seen for your condition you will have to have all their info.

3. The process of getting the stuff back TO SSA is tedious and you just have to wait. I applied in February 2005. After SSA gets all the questionnaires, medical records, etc. back they send it to a state level analyst who reviews it, sends it to a committee who reviews it, and then it goes back to the field office for final disposition.

You will have two telephone interviews at least, one from the state person who  may or may not call you with questions about the documents. Dates, incidences, it's pretty grueling, and DONT LIE. It's okay to not remember, of course. There was a lot of stuff I didn't remember, but throughout the whole process I did not embellish or lie AT ALL.

When I talked to the state guy, he can't tell an applicant whether their app is going to be approved or not, but in my case he said, "everything here looks good, it should go to the field office within 2-3 weeks, and then you will hear from them within 30 days to schedule an interview."

The field office sends you a letter saying the date and time they will call you and at what number, based on the info you provided them in the questionnaire YOU fill out.

That interview takes about 15-30 minutes, then they say they will notify you in writing within 30 days or something like that.

I was approved the following week, after my field phone interview. I got the official award letter about 2 mos. later.

I never had to go anywhere, or have anything notarized.

Good Luck!

Suze

p.s. I was approved for SSDI and the final approval came in Aug. of 2005.

PM me if there is anything I can help you with as you move through the process. I live in PA, but since it's federal, I wouldn't imagine the process to vary too much from state to state, but it might.

Archived