CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone else find themselves compulsively taking self-quizzes to determine the extent of your depression? It's always a bad sign for me. I know I'm in trouble when I find myself googling dr goldberg and clicking the little boxes. Anything above a 54 is an indication of severe depression-get help now. I just scored a 68. Well whoop-dee-friggin-doo. I'd make a link to the quiz if I could figure out how. Waitaminute...

try this...

Goldberg Scale

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Millie,

I do the same thing and have done for years. It can become almost a compulsion. For me, the mere temptation to take depression tests is an indicator of depression. It's also what gets me back to my doc when a medication isn't working.

Why is it so hard to be aware of the beginnings of another bout?

But, yeah. Get thee to thy doc. Something's not working.

Greeny

my score is 45.

the scary part is that i thought i was doing pretty well. hah.  for me, this is pretty good.

-----

Millie, what are your dx and rx if you don't mind my asking? You can view mine in my sig....meaning, I'm not asking you to expose something that I didn't already do.  That doesnt' sound right either, dammit.  OK, what I mean is:  I'm not judging, just wondering.

70. Well, at least it's a nice round number. ;)

This is why (with the exception of today) I learned long ago to never take these things. I'm always way off the chart. What's that tell me? That I'm severely depressed? Hell, I already knew that!

I just don't learn anything from these.

Greeny!! Hi!! I haven't seen you in....ages.

Yes, the compulsive self-screening is a sure indicator of a crash. In fact, I just took the quiz again (checking the link, mind you) and scored a 74. How quickly things go from bad to worse. I don't think it means anything, really, except that I'm aware of what's going on, but still... it's a pain in the neck.

Libby, I don't really have a dx. Labels make me nervous. Definitely major depression. Most likely BPII with the mania manifesting as anxious, irritable, can't-be-in-my-skin hell. Bad anxiety. Social Phobia.

I was a 52. Which to me is good. That I could answer some of those Qs (Thinking about how to kill yourself) as not at all is a major victory for me. When I saw my tdoc this week and we discussed the unipolar, bipolar without mania (are they the same) possibilities, I told him, I was happy to be *just* dysthymic compared to where I was in June. He thought that statement indicated a flaw in my thinking. A flaw in MY thinking, imagine that???

LOL...I'm not harboring death fantasies today. I don't even want to die accidentally anymore. I maybe a 52, but I hate to think what I was in June! -52.

Yeah, hi, greeny! Good to see you around.

Hugs all,

Suze

(edited to add this: revlow - you were posting while I was. I don't learn anything from them either. That's why it's so irritating to find myself taking them over and over every time I crash.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Millie:

I think sometimes these things are a matter of just saying "no". (Oh, god...I sound like Nancy Reagan! Gads!) But seriously, it's like when you weigh yourself everyday...no, several times a day...no, every hour...no, everytime you walk by the bathroom, etc. You know, you just make yourself crazy (or crazier).

Back in the days when I had eating disorders and would weigh myself constantly (before I did a work-out, after I did a work-out, after the shower after the work-out). I finally learned this obsession was doing me no good, was working against me. I just had to discipline myself and not do this. Somehow I got it down to once a day, then once a week. Now I just weigh myself at the doctor's office, and even then it's not everytime. I'm a lot more sane for having done this, and my weight (not entirely coincidental) is a lot more stable. Plus, the bottom line is that I can tell how my weight's doing by how my clothes fit. Duh!

I think the same is true for how we feel, our moods. These tests can serve a function from time to time. But, done over and over again, all we're doing is "stepping on and off the scale", ad infinitum. Not useful, and just makes us more crazy.

Excuse the rant. ;)

Does anyone else find themselves compulsively taking self-quizzes to determine the extent of your depression?

Constantly.  It's like I need something to confirm I'm depressed.  I'm also constantly taking personality-disorder quizzes, OCD quizzes, bipolar quizzes, etc.  It runs my life when I feel like I'm crashing.  No fun.  This time I scored a 67.  I'm doing better than I thought!

Oh great - just found this and took the quiz, scored a 62.  Hmm, major depression with that title I'm amazed I get my ass out of bed in the morning.  Gotta keep major distractions going on in my life or I focus too much on myself and my moods.  I'm wondering if Lamictal would benefit me, even though I haven't been properly dx.  I've just started Cymbalta again.  God life sucks.  Right now the only thing keeping me going is my kids. 

hi. stupid quizzes. got a 75. dammit. i've been feeling quite good the last couple of days too. but i didn't base my responses on the last few days though so fair enough i guess. and i refrained from responding how i would when in a bad depression too cos that would heavily skew things.

grouse.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!!!

Grousemouse: 75

We have a winner!!!!!!

Isn't it silly? I feel like if I don't get 100 I'm not really that bad.

Kris - lamictal is a mood stabilizer that's generally prescribed for the bottom end of a bipolar episode. You have to be VERY careful with the titration. Don't do it without close supervision of a trained professional. (I had a lamictal trip from hell.)

actually, me too. i made myself answer some questions as less depression-indicating cos i didn't want to seem like i was just trying to get a high score. cos as with many depressies, there's always that niggling worry that i'm just a complete loser and not crazy at all.

grouse.

well, I did the test and the page went blank...what the hell is that supposed to mean? ;)

am just refreshing it now......

and, yes, I do these kind of tests often....at work, usually!

well,it appeared, I get 56....not bad, not bad....

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I used to. Well, I did quizes for every damn thing on this planet, IQ, personality, whatever. So I compusivly click on that link.

I got 60, and I am not severly depressed thankyou very much. But this thing just happens to ask about my symptoms, which is rather finding everything dull, rather than being sad, or whatever. And like I feel like I deserved to be punished, but I don't think it, if that makes sense. I spend time thinking about how I could kill myself, but I don't actually want to do it! It's almost funny. I look at things, and think of how I can die using that. Like "I wonder if I could hang myself with my computer mouse. Or would the keyboard work better?"

EDIT:

I scored a 1 in schizophrenia. (unlikely)

Scored 15 in ADHD (likely)

Scored 41 in bipolar (moderate to severe)

7 on mania (unlikely)

0 for eating disorder (no way!)

12 on OCD (likely)

Ahaha. It's quiet funny, this ain't good for my health, considering I'm paranoid/obsessed with having a disease. I think these tests tend to make you seem worse than you really are.

Um, I got a 14. But I am not depressed. Where is that anxiety quiz? That is the one I excel at.  ;)

Millie - see your p-doc, get a new one, or try some new meds. Sometimes I think we know and read too much. But still there is someone out there that knows more than you do. I found that anyway.

Good luck and maybe concentrate on studying up on new p-docs rather than taking that test.

Breeze

I like to follow Breeze around and do what she does because I'm a loser and she's the cool girl in school...heh...

I got a 12.....the happy pills must be working!  YAY YAY

Breeze, too bad you can't email the results to those friends of yours...

olga

Ugggg....79.

These quizzes make me nuts....So far I have been high on depression, anxiety & panic, ADD, BPD, & BP. But there seems to be so many overlapping symptoms with many of those that it is hard to tell. 

Oh for christ's sake. I just took it again because I couldn't help myself. This time I scored an 85. How can that be possible? Am I just so used to being severely depressed that it almost seems normal? Or are these tests a big crock? OK, I know the answer to that one. They're a big crock. But still, from a 68 to a 72 to an 85 in 2 weeks? That can't be good.

Archived