CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone ever think back on a story of a family member and kinda wonder if maybe they weren't just crazy Uncle JimBob? Maybe he was really Manic JimBob. I have an Aunt I've always kind of wondered from stories if she was bipolar. She used to spend money like crazy and just constantly adopt new pets. She had 8 monkeys. Anyway one day she just got up and left her husband and (mentally challenged) son. They're both still in our lives but she's living like 2 states away and hasn't talked to any of us in 42 years. I think it could be BP or something similar. 

Just thinking on it. Let me know what you think and any similar stories.

This is actually something I've been thinking about recently.

I have this one aunt who's still in my life. She's in her fifties, twice divorced (once to a man older than her mother), and she has two kids (one from each marriage) and four grandkids. She got into a lot of fights in high school (her own stories she's told me), and after decades of working at a post office she ended up impulsively deciding to go to college. Not only that, but she attended one of the most expensive schools our city. She did graduate and end up running her own daycare center for eight years, but that came to an abrupt end when she "half-retired" and decided she wanted to make her money by selling jewelry on etsy and at craft shows. She's always been that "goofy" aunt too and some of her behaviors (like a lot of inappropriate giggling preceded by really nonsensical statements, talking to inanimate objects and sometimes things that weren't really there) also made me wonder if she suffered from psychotic symptoms too.

And now that I'm thinking about her, I'm also wondering to myself if her daughter (my cousin) is also bipolar. Her life has been marked by some substance issues, her daughters are from multiple fathers, I remember my parents saying that she left a guy that was really good for her out of the blue (I don't remember this well; this was a long time ago and this cousin is 16+ years older than me). She's left a couple really good jobs for seemingly no reason, has a history of reckless spending. She's also currently married to a former ex-con (he was an ex-con when they met; he got locked up again last year) and I've known her to have some pretty bad mood swings (I babysat her daughters for pocket money when I was younger).

ALL THE TIME. 

First everyone in my family with my name has anxiety. I don't know what it is about my name that just gives people anxiety. Pretty sure my mom has a personality disorder. My cousin freaks if something isn't clean. My other cousin is almost delusional in her religious beliefs. And more that I can't remember. 

On another note, when my uncle was still alive he dated this woman who from what I heard was obsessed with cleaning and cleaned to rid her of her sins and guilt, etc. She lived with us for a while. Our place was clean. She would scrub corners with a toothbrush.

2 hours ago, The Hitcher said:

MI runs in our family although I'm not sure which flavour. We've had suicides, counselling, medication. Never know who has what to be honest.

same. My brother has attempted suicide and self harmed. Addiction issues. My grandmother (dad's side) was sz or bp. Thought the ira was sending her special messages through the toaster oven. <_<

Obviously I've got plenty of other people that I'm sure have issues but nobody ever figured out if Aunt Sally was actually sick. Like I have 2 half siblings that have Aspergers. Honestly though the only person that ever talks about her is my dad who passed away today. Which is why it's been on my mind. 

13 hours ago, iaawal said:

On another note, when my uncle was still alive he dated this woman who from what I heard was obsessed with cleaning and cleaned to rid her of her sins and guilt, etc. She lived with us for a while. Our place was clean. She would scrub corners with a toothbrush.

For god's sake-everyone knows that you clean corners with a toothpick. Toothbrushes are for the grout.

There be all kinds o' crazy on my dad's side, including his mother, who was diagnosed with manic depression in the 1950's and treated with lithium and electroshock. Before her generation it's impossible to tell, since she was among the first of her family born in America. My dad was an alcoholic and may have had some other flavor of crazy as well-hard to say, as the drinking was so front-and-center. I gather all of the men in Daddy's family had drinking problems. There was at least one suicide among his uncles. My mother has MDD and an eating disorder (binge eating). Other than that, her family seems to be sane; she's a de novo mutation. It's hard on her.

I'm bipolar and Autistic. Wheee!

I'm the craziest in my family that I know of. My mom has borderline personality disorder. Her brother committed suicide, but it was because of a terminal illness rather than depression as far as I know. 

I have multiple cases of MI on both sides of my family (mostly bipolar), and lots of alcoholism as well. And one drug addict. They were all men. All but one died young, including three by suicide. 

Mom has GAD, depression, and, I think, PTSD. Dad has depression, a little anxiety, ADD.

Not sure about my dad's brother. They don't talk. Dude killed my dad's cat with a slingshot when they were kids. My dad's father had to take Valium because he was too "excited" about boxing. Dad's mom used to chase dad around with a butcher knife. 

Mom's mom seemed fine, but may have experienced too damn much grief in her life for one person. Mom's dad died in a mental hospital but was actually killed by a pituitary tumor. Mom's sister has OCD, brother has agoraphobia, depression, and more. My cousin has a history of depression and eating disorders. My mom's uncle has full-blown schizophrenia. 

I have a tasteful mix of depression, ADD, GAD, and psychosis. Fun!

My dad was pretty much always 'the crazy one' of the family. But turns out he's bipolar. He gets really, really difficult during manic episodes and his delusions and paranoia tend to last a pretty long time, so that messed up lots of family contacts (including his marriages/relationships). I suspect two of my uncles are bipolar too. Alcoholism is a serious issue with all of them as well.

The rest of the family has some 'mild' cases of MI, mostly depression. Some could be autistic (some of the younger kids are). So guess what? I ended up lucky with the gene pool selection: autistic and (most likely) bipolar. Party on, Garth!  

My mom was bipolar. All 3 of her sisters have mental disorders. 1 was shizophrenic and died of lung cancer a few years back, another has MDD and anxiety, and the 3rd has depression, anxiety, and avoidant tendancies (we haven't seen her in years). It made me wonder what the heck?? Where did this come from? 

My mom finally told me she thought it was from her mother's (my grandma's) side of the family. I never noticed odd behavior from grandma, but my mom says her aunt (my grandma's sister) was possibly bipolar. 

My aunt is definitely kinda 'out there' with craziness, but she was the one diagnosed with MDD and anxiety, not bipolar at all. But she used to have tirades of temper fits, and get so angry and irritable, and so it makes me wonder if she was just never diagnosed properly...

My mom was recently diagnosed with a mild form of bipolar disorder (she's been treated for depression for a while though) and now we think my sister might be bipolar 2 or something cause she had a manic episode from taking antidepressants. It's funny that I'm the youngest of the three of us and I'm the first diagnosed. Though I've got a more severe case and it started really early (middle school) so it was more noticeable.