CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jean Valjean

Low Carb Diet Hell

Just quit a low carb diet after finding myself extremely anxious and depressed.  I stumbled upon some solid research in peer reviewed journals that low carbing can have a negative impact on serotonin levels and is not recommended for people with BP.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

This sounded intriguing so I have googled around a bit and it seems there are conflicting evidence in several studies. It also seems that the studies I could find, granted only a quick search, were run by people who have certain ideological ideas about food, i.e. they thought carbs were the best thing ever or that carbs were the worst thing ever and there seemed to be problems with validity given how the studies were structured. I also read when first starting a low or no carb diet it can effect mood but that goes away once the body adjusts, so something must be going on. I don't know. I would love it if you would post links to the research you found. I know I crave and love carbs, but I assume it is like everything else, moderation and balance.

How long did you do the low carb diet? The first 2 weeks can be described as hell for everyone. After about a month you feel normal again.

Sure thing.  When I have access to my desktop, I will post up some links on the carb-serotonin link.  On my cell now.  The subjects in the research were mostly non-human.

I've done a low-carb diet years ago and I'm familiar with the concept of the "low-carb flu".  2-8 weeks of extreme depression with somebody who has BP may be a death sentence.  With that being said, I dropped 20 lbs last time, doing nothing. Easiest diet ever.  Not saying this is a bad diet for everyone, but just mentioning this might be a hazard for some.  There's my disclaimer.

Do you think it is hell because of the amount of sugar you were eating before the diet vs on the diet?  You could have been in sugar withdrawal which can be brutal.

(google "sugar withdrawal") 

I did very low carb for a year, eating only complex carbohydrates. It was really good for me - now that I'm off it, I get a lot of dizzy spells and more blood sugar issues. 

The human body isn't designed to eat sugar. It was only introduced to Western diets in the last few hundred years during colonialism. Quite a few doctors I know call it "white death".

4 hours ago, wadjet said:

This sounded intriguing so I have googled around a bit and it seems there are conflicting evidence in several studies. It also seems that the studies I could find, granted only a quick search, were run by people who have certain ideological ideas about food, i.e. they thought carbs were the best thing ever or that carbs were the worst thing ever and there seemed to be problems with validity given how the studies were structured. I also read when first starting a low or no carb diet it can effect mood but that goes away once the body adjusts, so something must be going on. I don't know. I would love it if you would post links to the research you found. I know I crave and love carbs, but I assume it is like everything else, moderation and balance.

Welcome to the world of nutrition! Recent developments have cast doubt on lowfat diets, including diets that demonize saturated fat. Carbs, particularly sugar, are now being opened up to intense scrutiny, decades after the sugar industry bamboozled efforts in that direction. 

What I've found in my studies, is that there is no universal prescription. Some people can eat tons of bread and noodles without problems; others cannot. If you look at ancestral diets, you'll find many that are dependent on starchy tubers like potatoes, and others tha are mostly dependent on animal products. And there are a few, like the Swiss, who subsist on grains and dairy. There have never been any successful vegan populations, although there have been some successful vegetarian ones.  

With respect to MI and diet, I haven't found much of a correlation. I have been everything from vegan to vegetarian to Paleo, before anyone knew what that was. It just didn't seem to matter, except for the fact that my energy levels rose tremendously after I abandoned my near-vegan diet. My mood may have improved too, but I wasn't tracking that back then. I've even done 100% raw vegan, and never experienced the energy boost that many people ascribe to that. I definitely feel better on an omnivorous diet, although the difference is not extreme. We have a lot of adaptability, some more than others. It's highly unlikely that everyone can thrive on a vegan diet, however.  Long-term vegans are self-selected. TONS of people drop out before that. 

Hard-core Vegans who happened to be successful assume that your inability to adapt is due to a weak will. But that's not the case at all. Not everyone can thrive on a vegan diet. There are tons of people who have demonstrated this insufficiency. Over and over again. But because of their obstinancy and ideals, the vegans fail to see the truth that's staring them in the head. And their most intense ire is reserved for people like me: former vegans. They see it as the ultimate betrayal. I have no particular stake in the outcome; I only know how it worked for me. If you think being vegan will improve your health, try it and see what happens. But don't be surprised if the supposed benefits fail to materialize, or if you find yourself in even worse shape. Then make your own determination. 

Edited by Flash
  • Like 2

Just wanted to say that I agree with a lot of what's being posted here. There is a lot of conflicting research that points in different directions. I think low carb diets can be beneficial to some.  Ultimately, people with BP should consult medical professionals when people decide to make dietary changes. With that being said, I don't plan to push this topic anymore. Thanks everyone for the input.