CrazyBoards.org

Theresa May on Mental Health

I like to give credit where it's due so I'm glad Theresa May is willing to reform mental health within the NHS however I have some problems with some of her choices and I feel her willingness to reform mental health services across Britain appear slightly inadequate if you look at them closely. I am politically moderate and sometimes I agree and disagree with both the Tories and the opposition. The beauty with British politics is that it lacks the divide of American politics however sometimes you see through the UK political publicity bollocks and I beilive this is a bona fide case. 

Theresa May's complete emphasis is on community care(because it costs less) but a large majority of adults with serious mental health issues sometimes need inpatient care. Mental health as everyone knows here isn't just feelin' down, it also involves losing complete touch with reality and usually that requires hospitalisation. In Britain, vulnerable people are being sent away 100 miles from their families against their will, because of lack of beds. I've been through that and it isn't nice.

Psych and non-pych hospitals are in a humanitarian crisis in the UK according to the Red Cross. It's OUTRAGEOUS.

Their complete financial focus on community care completely ignores the fact that sometimes people....however good the community care is, even if the crisis team show up at your house everyday, people would still need to be sectioned for their safety because their acute mental health state. You can not always treat people in the community. 

You may ask, why is the Government focusing so much on community care, because it's much much cheaper to do so. 

PS. Just to clarify, community care should be funded as much as inpatient care. I am not trying to dismiss the importance of community care.

Ehh.. I've read a major textbook focusing on the topic of healthcare-system-level best practices and historical changes for mental health treatment, and I can't really dispute its arguments with regards to the need for a focus on community care (and I am rather inclined to side with the authors on this issue given what I learned from the book - they cover the topic very well in a way that few other resources ever do). Good community care can easily prevent the need for inpatient care in the first place. A shift away from inpatient care is generally a very good thing, especially when significant resources are dedicated explicitly to improving outpatient care. So unless Theresa May is explicitly trying to significantly defund inpatient care resources beyond what would be considered reasonable in the case of patient loads shifting strongly to outpatient providers in concordance with the paradigm shift in treatment, I don't think you can fault her - but I'm not up to speed on her policies or anything, so tell me if this is actually the case.

Edited by JustNuts

1 hour ago, JustNuts said:

Ehh.. I've read a major textbook focusing on the topic of healthcare-system-level best practices and historical changes for mental health treatment, and I can't really dispute its arguments with regards to the need for a focus on community care (and I am rather inclined to side with the authors on this issue given what I learned from the book - they cover the topic very well in a way that few other resources ever do). Good community care can easily prevent the need for inpatient care in the first place. A shift away from inpatient care is generally a very good thing, especially when significant resources are dedicated explicitly to improving outpatient care. So unless Theresa May is explicitly trying to significantly defund inpatient care resources beyond what would be considered reasonable in the case of patient loads shifting strongly to outpatient providers in concordance with the paradigm shift in treatment, I don't think you can fault her - but I'm not up to speed on her policies or anything, so tell me if this is actually the case.

The fact that there are no beds when there are people who actually need them is disgraceful. The fact that someone has to go away 100+ miles away from their family to receive treatment is appalling. The NHS hospitals are in crisis and there is no funding being allocated for them. There are a lot of people suffering from acute mental health issues in Britain where a clinician would beilive inpatient care is most appropriate. The number is high obviously. Britain is has one of the best economies and it can not guarantee a bed for those who are acutely ill near their families and loved ones. More than 5,400 mental health patients had to travel out of area for a psychiatric bed last year, research by Community Care and BBC News has found. Inpatient care has been defunded.

Mental health funding overall has fall by 8% and there are less than 6,000 psychiatric nurses since last Parliament.

Mental health services are a nightmare here in the UK, just sayin

....I bet most Brits here would agree

Edited by The Right Honourable Jimmy

16 minutes ago, The Right Honourable Jimmy said:

The fact that there are no beds when there are people who actually need them is disgraceful. The fact that someone has to go away 100+ miles away from their family to receive treatment is appalling. The NHS hospitals are in crisis and there is no funding being allocated for them. There are a lot of people suffering from acute mental health issues in Britain where a clinician would beilive inpatient care is most appropriate. The number is high obviously. Britain is has one of the best economies and it can not guarantee a bed for those who are acutely ill near their families and loved ones. More than 5,400 mental health patients had to travel out of area for a psychiatric bed last year, research by Community Care and BBC News has found. Inpatient care has been defunded.

Mental health funding overall has fall by 8% and there are less than 6,000 psychiatric nurses since last Parliament.

Mental health services are a nightmare here in the UK, just sayin

....I bet most Brits here would agree

To clarify, I am not arguing this point at all, beds should always be available to those who need them and a lack of them is indeed disgraceful, I was just pointing out that a strong focus (especially financially) on supporting outpatient measures can drastically change the usage of inpatient psychiatric hospitalization and is generally a very good idea as long as you don't screw up the inpatient funding too much in the process.

I have some somewhat limited knowledge of the NHS issues wrt mental health, mostly from an ex-friend in the UK with severe mental health problems who gave me extensive insight into the issues that people face on it, but I wasn't certain how generalizable their experience was or the exact details of funding issues (especially regarding Theresa May's plans), and I'm not up for researching that information in-depth at the moment, which is why I relied on the information in your post alone and asked you for additional clarification.

Mental health funding issues are kind of universal, even here in the US we have significant trouble (which did improve quite a bit with the ACA but is likely to slide back downhill at an unusually rapid pace under the new president), Canada's system (which I have experienced) is generally even worse, and I've heard quite a bit about the issues people face wrt mental health TX from people located around the world (sometimes very directly, sometimes much more indirectly, but generally from reasonably reliable sources, and an overwhelming number of them at that). Part of the issue with inpatient care in particular is that it's extremely expensive compared to outpatient care, and many people derive much greater benefits from outpatient care than they do from inpatient care. But there's at times far too strong a focus on minimizing the duration and extent of inpatient care, which is a very delicate issue.

I've been at my local psych ward for far too large of a chunk of the past year, and I have learned a lot of rather frustrating things about their inner operations that are unfortunately not easy to resolve for various reasons. They seem to have a particularly large administrative issue though, as there is a huge disconnect between the administrative side and the operations side, and significant disconnects with the providers and the rest of the staff, as well as appalling treatment both from and relative to other departments at their host hospital (which thrives on the revenue that the inpatient ward brings in but idiotically refuses to acknowledge how important the department that the majority of their revenues come from really is).

And don't get me started on outpatient TX or the provider-level issues, or insurers, or any one of a billion other issues... I mean, healthcare in general is pretty broken universally - even if some countries are arguably better at handling it than others, no country has truly working healthcare if you dig down deep enough (the severe artificial regionalization of drug price and by extension R&D cost subsidization is probably one of the most problematic and universal issues, but like many of these issues, it is far more nuanced than it appears on the surface)...

...and now this is just extremely depressing... I don't know why I'm so driven to seek out knowledge when a markedly improved and more detailed understanding of most situations inevitably just makes me more depressed about humanity. Ironically that's a trait that can be primarily ascribed to mental/neurological illness in my case, even if it has fringe benefits at times.