CrazyBoards.org

The Weather and Bipolar

Does the weather affect anyone else's mood? I know people feel lazy and tired on rainy days but I'm talking about more than that. I'm bipolar and on crap days I am irritable and sad and I can't be picked up. Am I the only one that sees a correlation between the two?

I know that when my moods are high I end up feeling a lot more antsy and irritable and overall mood disturbed on days with little sun? And when I'm 'high' and it's sunny out, I'll get the more euphoric side of things. Depression doesn't seem as affected by the weather (I have mania that lasts partially through winter and depression that picks up where the mania leaves off).

I actually enjoy the grey skies of winter , I live in Salt Lake City but the grey reminds me so much of home where I came from, Seattle. So it is like normal for me. But it does effect my moods a little so I have a sun lamp at home that I turn on that helps me. I think a drop in barometric pressure also effects me (and arthritis). lol

17 hours ago, It's Just Me said:

Does the weather affect anyone else's mood? I know people feel lazy and tired on rainy days but I'm talking about more than that. I'm bipolar and on crap days I am irritable and sad and I can't be picked up. Am I the only one that sees a correlation between the two?

If I'm already feeling crappy & depressed, nice weather won't really make too much of an improvement. However, I absolutely abhor cold weather (like under 40 degrees - I'm a wuss) and any kind of persistent rain with wind. I always do better in really sunny places (maybe due to more Vitamin D?)

If freezing cold outside or raining non-stop for weeks, I get serious symptoms of depression and major cabin fever....I feel very cooped up - which leads me to ruminate more, then I stop going anywhere because I must put so many layers of clothes on (itchy wool hats, gloves, scarf, umbrella, boots) I do less errands, walking & less socializing, I do not exercise or go to the gym. I may eat more also due to above cabin fever & straight-up boredom.

Bring on the Spring!!!! Strangely enough, they say the month of March (spring) has the highest number of suicide rates for some reason.

I can't stand the sun... it's too bright and hurts my eyes/head. I developed an intense intolerance to heat a few years back as well, so summers are miserable for me. I love cold temps and rain as far as for my mood, but they cause my RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) to flare. I definitely seem to be in better spirits on cloudy days... doesn't seem to affect my actual mood cycles but does seem to make my days a bit more tolerable. If that makes sense.

Edited by her-escape

I live in the northeast near the Appalachians, so I'm used to a lot of different kinds of weather. It's also got a tendency to throw us huge curveballs (our high today was 65 F and two degrees away from breaking a record high for the day and tomorrow the high is 36 F). It makes me feel like I'm prepared for anything and weather for the most part rolls off my back. It barely manages to affect me.

The only ways it really seems to are when I'm manic (if the sun's out, I usually have some euphoria but if it's shitty I usually get irritable). Otherwise, I've had both manic and depressive symptoms at some point in every season. Though they're not always in the same year. Like last spring I didn't have any manic symptoms at all, and the summer before that I don't remember any depressive symptoms. But I remember instances from each season, if that makes sense.

Just today it was in the mid-sixties here and I was in a very unusual state of mind.  It was like I was ALIVE instead of how I was feeling during the colder winter days.  I feel this way during spring when it's nice out too. 

However I think this can happen quite regularly in non-MI folks as well.  My friend felt the same as I did today and maybe even more so and she's the most stable person i know.  

I don't get a crash though and neither does she.  Maybe that makes it a variation of something normal.  I will report back on Saturday when it;s supposed to be in the high twenties with possible snow.  

On 1/12/2017 at 6:56 AM, cloudmonger said:

Sounds like torture! But perhaps a positive note: it gives a person thicker skin?!

Well I can at least look forward to Spring all the more. Except I don't mind when it snows in the mountains (which are 15 minutes away) because then we can go snowboarding and snowshoeing. Yeah fun in the snow, it happens! lol

Thanks for the feedback everyone! 

Weather just gets me. Like big time. My psychiatrist recommended Light therapy for me and it's nice and bright and all but I don't feel like it does anything. I just know when the actual sun goes away so does any positivity I had in my storage bank. 

Ohhhh and guess what the weather is like here? If you said shitty, rainy and windy you're the winner!!! Seriously though guys, it's awful. Especially when you live in a specific place to avoid the excessive crappy weather haha.