CrazyBoards.org

How Much Stigma Has Your Psychoses Led To?

I'm thinking mostly about our own fears of having it on our medical record, and having every 2nd doctor be dubious of anything we say if it were to become common knowledge, so I'm curious; How much has this sort of thing happened to you, from doctors or others, since they learnt that you had psychotic symptoms/episodes?

Tri

I have gotten practically no stigma from any doctors or therapists since I have disclosed having hallucinations and paranoia to a pdoc ages ago, and again to my current pdoc and tdoc. However, though, my pdocs, tdocs, and gdocs do not communicate with one another; I have not transferred files from one to another, and have not told my pdocs or tdocs who my gdoc is, and vice versa. With the pdocs and tdoc that I have told about it, I have not had any problems of this sort, probably because my hallucinations are pretty mild and because my delusions tend to be rather limited in scope and because my pdoc and tdoc are quite aware of my having insight into my hallucinations and delusions. However I have the opposite problem, where such things are not always taken seriously, because if I have insight it must not actually be a problem.

Edited by Closure

3 hours ago, WinterTidings said:

I'm thinking mostly about our own fears of having it on our medical record, and having every 2nd doctor be dubious of anything we say if it were to become common knowledge, so I'm curious; How much has this sort of thing happened to you, from doctors or others, since they learnt that you had psychotic symptoms/episodes?

Tri

Oh man, dont even get me started on this ... I have the most stigma in the ER.  I am permanently a psych patient there and that can't be changed (pdoc confirmed) on my record.  DRs and nurses unfortunately have memories (ones which they choose to remember, ie that I was in the ER all the time as a psych patient), as well as hear what they want to hear.  Fuck what I say.

I am always doubted about what I say, and if I do make a statement or say whatever I have to be able to back it up by another person or something in writing, or showing the person something. Happens about 99% of the time.  Including pdoc ... he doesn't believe me a lot of times unless I tell him to ask (whomever) or tell him to look it up, etc.  Overall he does believe me, but there have been times where he hasn't.  Otherwise, other than my OBGYN who has a stigma, my other DRs believe me when I say something.  So they aren't a problem with stigma. 

It really is just the ER where there is a huge stigma there, at least with me.  And there is such a big stigma there that it is 98% of the time, with that 1% more being other specific people who I just don't want to get into.  But it is also on my DRs medical records, mainly with all the meds I am on.  But they treat me like a person with no noticeable stigma (and if there was I would pick up on it in a heartbeat).

I haven't really faced stigma yet, thankfully. My psych team in general has dealt with the psychosis stuff in a matter of fact way. I went to an ENT once who was overly interested in why I take so much medication, but that's about it. The most stigma I've faced is in the crappy hospital I always get sent to. While some docs there are okay, I'm often treated like a sub-human entity.

Edited by aura

5 hours ago, OliverB said:

I haven't had any problem with the psychosis or the schizophrenia diagnosis, but I had with the borderline PD misdiagnosis...

Given how many docs use Borderline as a dogwhistle "Hey guys, problem patient! This one's a real whiner/arguer, better watch out!" this is very unsurprising. :(

In my situ, it's that I'm, well, leaving psych quote-unquote care after everyone decided to coverup for an abusive psych, and wondering if it's better or worse to have the symptoms on my general record, or to let it lie & not deal with sneering doctors (which you get quite enough of just having any MI on record, not to mention having an invisible physical disability; Using a wheelchair is fairly good for the "no fuck you this is serious" factor to the second, but even then you have docs who see that as a problem..).

Anyway, yeah. We've had various hallucinations (auditory, noises, kids laughing/playing, buzzing flies following us, one time a voice speaking to us) and delusions (one religious-raptness, another more dangerous in that it was v. dark 'cosmic machinations' type 'truths' suddenly ripping their way into "core axiom" position in our head twice; if partner hadn't been around would've probably been a suicide situ).

Tri

Given how many docs use Borderline as a dogwhistle "Hey guys, problem patient! This one's a real whiner/arguer, better watch out!" this is very unsurprising. :(

Well said.  So true.

... and wondering if it's better or worse to have the symptoms on my general record, or to let it lie & not deal with sneering doctors (which you get quite enough of just having any MI on record, not to mention having an invisible physical disability; Using a wheelchair is fairly good for the "no fuck you this is serious" factor to the second, but even then you have docs who see that as a problem..).

Exactly.

5 hours ago, WinterTidings said:

In my situ, it's that I'm, well, leaving psych quote-unquote care after everyone decided to coverup for an abusive psych, and wondering if it's better or worse to have the symptoms on my general record, or to let it lie & not deal with sneering doctors (which you get quite enough of just having any MI on record, not to mention having an invisible physical disability; Using a wheelchair is fairly good for the "no fuck you this is serious" factor to the second, but even then you have docs who see that as a problem..).

I would much rather deal with the bad things about doctors rather than not deal with them at all, and probably wind up dead. (I go straight to severely mixed within a week of stopping risperidone, and when I get mixed I often get suicidal.) And I personally have not seen too much bad about the doctors I have had anyways, aside from the tendency of them to not take my psychotic symptoms seriously. Of course this is not your experience, but this is how I see things personally.

44 minutes ago, Closure said:

I would much rather deal with the bad things about doctors rather than not deal with them at all, and probably wind up dead. (I go straight to severely mixed within a week of stopping risperidone, and when I get mixed I often get suicidal.) And I personally have not seen too much bad about the doctors I have had anyways, aside from the tendency of them to not take my psychotic symptoms seriously. Of course this is not your experience, but this is how I see things personally.

Ah. We never had any meds that've worked that weren't benzos or ADD meds, had years (literally) of abusive psychs as a teen, years of condescending twits as an adult, finally opened up to this lot in a total-crisis as a "No, really, you say you can help, I need help now, here are all the cards on the table" as an adult, got bit again hard; Everyone promptly covered it up.

That probably says a whole lot?

Whisper

Surprisingly I have never witnessed any stigma with my Schizoaffective diagnosis either from doctors or mental health professionals. The only stigma I have ever had was when I was mistakenly diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder way before the Schizoaffective diagnosis. I rang the crisis team one night and spoke to a male. He looked on the NHS Rio system which interlinks all the mental health services computers so they can get a summary of your diagnosis and how best they can treat your presentation. I was suicidal but he totally dismissed me and told me to take some PRN if I was feeling that way and promptly hung up. Seven months later I was distressed again and feeling suicidal so rang the crisis team but this time I had the Schizoaffective diagnosis. It was the same male because I recognised his Welsh accent and he was as nice and pie and very helpful giving me advice on calming techniques. He was totally different person with me and my suicidal presentation was the same only a different diagnosis. It showed that depending what you DX is, how well your treated.

Edited by straightjacket