CrazyBoards.org

volunteer work

Guest ~Aurelie~

Guest ~Aurelie~

not sure this is where this post should go. feel free to move it if it's not.

i am seeking volunteer work. i am looking for a position that they call a "befriender". i love the elderly, but i've worked with them before in a volunteer job and it just wasn't the right fit for me. i love children but they are too triggering for me because of past abuse issues. i think i'd do better with the mid-range as far as age goes. and i'd like to work in an environment that works to empower women, especially women like me who have been traumatized and have been affected by poverty.

i've just been so affected by some of the things i have been through myself, and i want to be there for others and do my part to instill hope. it kills me inside to think of others suffering alone the way i have. i have wanted to get my MSW since i was 15 years old. i've always known what i wanted to do, but i've had so many obstacles in my way, and the ptsd and dissociation i deal with has not helped me achieve my passion in life. so i want to volunteer in this capacity. i need to.

please if anybody here has some ideas of places to volunteer, and especially if you have experience working in some of these places and can share, it would be most appreciated!

thank you very much.

aurelie

i don't know about toronto, but i've done some work with domestic violence.

what i did was help women petition for orders of protection.  i also helped women fill out paperwork for divorce (this was when i was (breifly) in law school.)

both things were empowering, but also hard because most of these women did have children.

another idea is to look into women's shelters, esp. if you want one-to-one contact.

but again, with women's shelters there are kids there. 

i think volunteer work while working through MI stuf is a really great idea.  it can be really empowering and give you a real sense of purpose.  when i was super down i worked at an animal rescue (i wasn't up for people at that point)

other ideas are DV hotlines or rape crisis work.

i'm trying to think of things involving women where you won't come into contact with kids, but i'm drawing a blank.

then again, all of the stuff i mentioned is emotionally rewarding and also very draining.

sorry i can't offer anything for toronto.

if you have any questions about my experiences in DV work or rape crisis work, feel free to ask here or PM me.

good luck

penny

Hi ~Aurelie~,

I'm in Toronto and can't think of any specific places off the top of my head right now but I think I know of the type of places you are looking for.  Oh, I just remembered one, a good one, Nellie's but they do mention children.

Here is a site that looks like it recruits volunteers for the city:

http://www.volunteertoronto.on.ca/

You might want to take a look at some of the member agencies of the United Way or talk to the United Way about volunteering.  They might be able to help.

http://www.uwgt.org/

Another resource that might be helpful is called, in general Social Work parlance, "The Blue Book."  I'm not sure if it is available in the public library system (I would assume) but if you have a therapist they would have one in their office for sure.  If you don't know already, the best public library in the city (well, country) is the Toronto Reference Library (Yonge and Asquith.)

That's not much but I hope it helps.

Karen

Aurelie:

I'm sure Toronto has some sort of program to teach reading to illilterate people.  You could volunteer with the literacy group and tell them that you want to work with women only.  It's very rewarding to help people read for the first time.

Also, our libraries here help immigrants learn the stuff they need to pass the test for citizenship.  That also is rewarding and would be great to do for immigrant women who need a hand up.

If there is a food pantry in your area, they could probably use volunteers, too. 

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your volunteer work.

olga

Guest ~Aurelie~

i don't know about toronto, but i've done some work with domestic violence.

what i did was help women petition for orders of protection.

Guest ~Aurelie~

Hi ~Aurelie~,

I'm in Toronto and can't think of any specific places off the top of my head right now but I think I know of the type of places you are looking for.

[

hi penny! thanks for your ideas, i really appreciate them. what does DV stand for?

Domestic Violence.

i doubt they'd let me work petitioning orders of protection without being in law school or having a degree though. what do you think? i would love to get started doing something along those lines. some sort of advocacy work for women. even taking them to appointments or going for coffee to help them feel more connected and not so alone. do volunteer jobs like that exist i wonder.

thanks!

aurelie

yeah, you need law school experience for orders of protection, but if you want to help batterd women, women's shelters are a good place to start, and there are a LOT of things you can do in women's shelters, from helping them find clothes, to feeling safe, to yes... getting coffee.

good luck

Guest ~Aurelie~

[

hi penny! thanks for your ideas, i really appreciate them. what does DV stand for?

Domestic Violence.

i doubt they'd let me work petitioning orders of protection without being in law school or having a degree though. what do you think? i would love to get started doing something along those lines. some sort of advocacy work for women. even taking them to appointments or going for coffee to help them feel more connected and not so alone. do volunteer jobs like that exist i wonder.

thanks!

aurelie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, you need law school experience for orders of protection, but if you want to help batterd women, women's shelters are a good place to start, and there are a LOT of things you can do in women's shelters, from helping them find clothes, to feeling safe, to yes... getting coffee.

good luck

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks penny!

Hey ~Aurelie~, yes Nellie's is in Cabbagetown...I think...if memory serves.  Yes, it's always nice to run into other locals on the board *grin*

We're actually planning a meet and greet in February.  I'm not sure if you would be interested but you are more than welcome.  The thread with all the info is posted on the Whatever board in The Good Stuff (at the bottom.)

Karen

• 3 years later...

i am seeking volunteer work. i am looking for a position that they call a "befriender". i love the elderly, but i've worked with them before in a volunteer job and it just wasn't the right fit for me. i love children but they are too triggering for me because of past abuse issues. i think i'd do better with the mid-range as far as age goes. and i'd like to work in an environment that works to empower women, especially women like me who have been traumatized and have been affected by poverty.

i've just been so affected by some of the things i have been through myself, and i want to be there for others and do my part to instill hope. it kills me inside to think of others suffering alone the way i have. i have wanted to get my MSW since i was 15 years old. i've always known what i wanted to do, but i've had so many obstacles in my way, and the ptsd and dissociation i deal with has not helped me achieve my passion in life. so i want to volunteer in this capacity. i need to.

please if anybody here has some ideas of places to volunteer, and especially if you have experience working in some of these places and can share, it would be most appreciated!

thank you very much.

aurelie

Have you found anything yet?

thank you very much.

aurelie

Have you found anything yet?

Karen, Aurelie is no longer active on this board.

olga

Archived