CrazyBoards.org

Anger - what meds work?

Celexa was awful for me (triggered mania) so if you've never been on it before proceed with caution. This is my genreal response to most antidepressants tho.. some people can tolerate them, some can't. 

I've had success with Haldol (which is an anti-psychotic) for calming me when I'm angry/agitated/overstimulated, etc. 

Edited by her-escape

Hmm. I'm hopping to find a PRN med (maybe Xanax) because the anger is rising in times of distress. I have a low tolerance for stress these days....but usually I'd just burst into tears (not get angry) so I don't know what is going on with me.

I do worry about getting tolerant to Xanax and then having the anxiety/anger get even worse! I had a bad experience with Ativan (was on like the smallest dose for several months ) I could not come off of it. If I didn't take it I had horrible insomnia and panic. I worry that Xanax might do the same thing? Or possibly increase my depression?

6 minutes ago, cloudmonger said:

I do worry about getting tolerant to Xanax and then having the anxiety/anger get even worse! I had a bad experience with Ativan (was on like the smallest dose for several months ) I could not come off of it. If I didn't take it I had horrible insomnia and panic. I worry that Xanax might do the same thing? Or possibly increase my depression?

I understand the worry about the tolerance, but Fwiw, I have never grown tolerant to xanax (or klonopin).  I have been on a very small dose for a long time, and take it as needed so my body doesn't get used to it.  And it works great for me.

About the ativan though ... I understand completely about possibly feeling like you have a problem with ativan (tolerance/addiction/whatever).  IME when I was put on ativan, after the first pill, I felt like I "needed it" more and I already felt the addiction coming.  It came on very fast for me.  I stopped taking it after that.

For me at least, xanax did not do the same thing as the ativan did. 

Idk about increasing your depression, but for me definitely I can not take ativan because of how I felt after only one pill. But xanax didn't do that to me.

1 minute ago, melissaw72 said:

About the ativan though ... I understand completely about possibly feeling like you have a problem with ativan (tolerance/addiction/whatever).  IME when I was put on ativan, after the first pill, I felt like I "needed it" more and I already felt the addiction coming.  It came on very fast for me.  I stopped taking it after that.

Idk about increasing your depression, but for me definitely I can not take ativan because of how I felt after only one pill. But xanax didn't do that to me.

This is exactly what happened to me with Ativan - instant relief & rapid tolerance. My doc looked at me like I was crazy. He told me at the time it's the first line of treatment for anxiety & trouble falling asleep. I've had trouble with a number of SSRI's so maybe that is why he went to Ativan? I don't know. I will ask my pdoc about Xanax or Klon as possible PRN med.

6 minutes ago, cloudmonger said:

I've had trouble with a number of SSRI's so maybe that is why he went to Ativan? I don't know.

Possibly.  I'd definitely bring it up with pdoc like you said. 

Just want you to now that for me, klonopin does not work as needed.  I take it on a schedule, in AM and in PM, then xanax for the breakthrough anxiety.  Others here take klonopin as need and it helps, but for me it doesn't work that way.  I take klonopin to maintain a baseline of the med in me for the anxiety in general, then take the xanax if there is breakthrough anxiety.  The klonopin has a longer half-life that the xanax so it stays in your system longer.  Knowing that though, it still doesn't work as needed for me.

3 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

Just want you to now that for me, klonopin does not work as needed.  I take it on a schedule, in AM and in PM, then xanax for the breakthrough anxiety.  Others here take klonopin as need and it helps, but for me it doesn't work that way.  I take klonopin to maintain a baseline of the med in me for the anxiety in general, then take the xanax if there is breakthrough anxiety.  The klonopin has a longer half-life that the xanax so it stays in your system longer.  Knowing that though, it still doesn't work as needed for me.

Ok...fortunately, for the last 3 years I have not had ongoing issue with anxiety. However, I'm going through a huge adjustment period and feeling overwhelmed by everything....bringing on a case of not only depression + sporadic anxiety attacks. It came to a boiling point yesterday when i had an argument with spouse which triggered panic/anger, and I realized that I don't have any emergency med on hand to help me.

I've read that all benzos have the potential for addiction & have really bad withdrawal within a few weeks. I've read Valium is the least-addictive, due to the long half-life, however, I don't want to have a sedation hangover the next day which will add to my depression! Gawd. Why is MI so complicated sometimes??

10 minutes ago, mikrw33 said:

I've heard loxapine (Loxitane) is good for irritability/agitation in low doses.

Thx. I've never heard of this one. I'm assuming this is not a PRN med?

I'm not sure exactly what I'm experiencing...whether it's anxiety, agitation or anger, stress? It's like an attack of all-of-the-above. I'm really upset because i had really high hopes for Lamictal - it was stabilizing my mood well. Now, it doesn't appear to be doing much. II wonder if increasing the dose would help?

These "stress attacks" are not ongoing or everyday....it's like everytime I fail at something or disappointment happens, the frustration/sadness/stress  just triggers me over the edge. I cannot control my emotions .  :-(

7 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

Thinking right now, personally I don't see anything harder to deal with than MI.

So true!!!!! You know what? It's awful, I've actually gone to the doctor and found myself hoping for a physical disease, Cancer, whatever....like so I can have a "legitimate" tangible reason to be so depressed/anxious/emotional. i know I should be careful what I wish for. MI is an invisible nightmare. Worse yet, no one understands or wants to support you (if they have never experienced it themselves). It is so damn difficult to find/afford/access the right treatment also.

Just when you think you've got things under control, the demon comes back.

Edited by cloudmonger

10 minutes ago, cloudmonger said:

I've actually gone to the doctor and found myself hoping for a physical disease, Cancer, whatever....like so I can have a "legitimate" tangible reason to be so depressed/anxious/emotional.

I've done the same thing.  I don't even care what the medical cause is ... I just want to prove to people (including other DRs) that what I was feeling was real and not "all in my head."

12 minutes ago, cloudmonger said:

MI is an invisible nightmare. Worse yet, no one understands or wants to support you (if they have never experienced it themselves).

That is one thing that sucks about it ... is that it is invisible.  Which is why I want a DR (or DRs) to find  medical reason so I'm taken seriously.

Long story short, I went to the ER bacause of severe back pain.  I ended up getting a copy of the report.

The pdoc on call (even though I did not go there for psych reasons) said that I said I was"paralyzed" when that word wasn't said by either of us.  But he took it upon himself to write that in the report.  He wrote other shit I won't get into, and he also CC'd a copy to every one of my DRs (about 8 or 9 at the time) about this ER stay.

Got evaluated at a psych hospital because I knew this wasn't all in my head.

So I took the ER report, made photocopies, wrote all the lies he said in it in red ink on all of them, included a letter I wrote explaining why I was doing this, and in addition I included a copy of the psych hospital report ... which showed a medical reason for the pain.

In the end, he was written up, and it was put in his chart or whatever they have for DRs there who they have problems with.  I got the people (I forget their title, but they are the liaisons between me and this DR) involved and everything.

He ended up writing me an apology letter that had I been admitted to the hospital he would have gone along the lines of what psych neuro had done which would have lead to the diagnosis I got (the medical one).  Fucker.  He couldn't admit he was wrong, but he had all of this on file at the hospital now. 

So this is something where I had to see a psych neuro to prove I had a medical problem (a lumbar radiculopathy), and not a psych one where I "said" I was "paralyzed."

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/lower-back-pain/lumbar-radiculopathy

Diagnosis of Lumbar Radiculopathy

A radiculopathy is caused by compression, inflammation and/or injury to a spinal nerve root in the low back. Causes of this type of pain, in the order of prevalence, include:

• Herniated disc with nerve compression - by far the most common cause of radiculopathy
  • Foraminal stenosis (narrowing of the hole through which the spinal nerve exits due to bone spurs or arthritis) – more common in elderly adults
  • Diabetes
  • Nerve root injuries
  • Scar tissue from previous spinal surgery that is affecting the nerve root

8 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

He ended up writing me an apology letter that had I been admitted to the hospital he would have gone along the lines of what psych neuro had done which would have lead to the diagnosis I got (the medical one).  Fucker.  He couldn't admit he was wrong, but he had all of this on file at the hospital now. 

So this is something where I had to see a psych neuro to prove I had a medical problem (a lumbar radiculopathy), and not a psych one where I "said" I was "paralyzed."

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/lower-back-pain/lumbar-radiculopathy

Holy crap. How terrible! Must have been so upsetting for you. These days you REALLY must have your wits (and assertiveness) about you when dealing with doctors. They are human, they can really make mistakes that cause dire consequences and harm for the patient. Yeah, I really don't get why (if you have a diagnosed psych condition) medical doctors want to write you off as a Head Case when it comes to any legitimate physical symptom.

I've had incident where I hit my head and it was never initially looked into....I was having worrisome symptoms that i thought could be related. This led to panic attacks because the doc didn't want to do an MRI. I could have had (i didn't) some sort of trauma to my head, and wanted it checked out - but it was a fight to get them to do this. Could have saved alot of stress if they had just Ok'd it.

****But Back to the original post - My pdoc prescribed PRN Atarax. I looked it up and apparently it's a 1st-generation Antihistamine that is often used for sedation, anxiety & tension. Strange....but I will try it. I'm afraid it might not do much (I've taken Benedryl and that doesn't really calm my anxiety like a benzo) but I told her I had problems with Ativan so she was hesitant to prescribe any Benzos for my short "stress triggered" episodes. Anyone tried Atarax for anxiety/stress???