CrazyBoards.org

ultra rapid cycling or just anxiety?

Hey everyone! Hope you are having a nice morning. I wanted to chat with likeminded individuals about something I've been struggling with lately. I have anxiety and bipolar type II that has been controlled for nearly 4 years with regular therapy and the right medication, with milder interruptions  that can be upsetting from time to time (such as the below) in stressful times. I am wondering if anyone has experienced a similar "pattern" so to speak. 

This was the cycle.... Sunday/Monday (down, depressed) Tuesday and Wednesday (charged up, making tons of plans, no appetite, no need for sleep/caffeine) , Thursday (agitated depressed- no need for sleep, racing thoughts, etc. but very depressed mood, crying for no reason, not handling stress well).  I imagine now it will just be more depressive symptoms for a couple of days. 

these "moods" seem to follow a very set pattern day to day (slightly up, very up, and then down) and last a couple of weeks at most. I definitely know the down mods can be prompted by alcohol consumption (when I'm slightly hypomanic I tend to drink more than usual at dinner, etc.) Anyone else experience this? I want to make sure I am categorizing my moods correctly, if they ARE in fact moods and not just a bad bout of anxiety! 

Looking forward to hearing from y'all! 

Edited by Alana92

It would be difficult for me to say really, because every single person is different. In my case, I go rapid cycling from mania to stability to mania and stability again over and over and over and over with the occasional drop below stability. It's the weirdest thing and my pdoc doesn't understand it. My manias are not like everyone else's either. I rarely get euphoric.

So it is hard to say, without you talking to your pdoc and seeing what they have to say. If it is bothering you, or starting to become a bother, I recommend setting an appointment. Might be a good idea to talk about it and see if it is something you'd like to treat. 

Anxiety for me, is different. I get intense physical symptoms, and feel safer if I hide somewhere like the bathroom. etc. - sometimes I get panicky and that makes it worse. So it is all different depending who you are. I recommend seeing your pdoc!

I do think it's time for a discussion with my pdoc! Totally relate to you re: no euphoria. Mine is more just like "charged up." I will forget to eat, sleep, take care of myself because my brain is just going so fast, and I'm feeling pretty happy, nothing like Euphoric though. 

Just now, Alana92 said:

I do think it's time for a discussion with my pdoc! Totally relate to you re: no euphoria. Mine is more just like "charged up." I will forget to eat, sleep, take care of myself because my brain is just going so fast, and I'm feeling pretty happy, nothing like Euphoric though. 

I get agressive, angry, irritible, spend too much money, have crazy ideas and weird thoughts, and feel very unfocused and un-productive (unlike everyone else). Once in a blue moon I get the euphoria and then I don't want it to go away. lol

Oh I should also mention I do weird trhings and have odd behaviour and can't control myself very well when manic. But... the weird thing is, for the first 3 nights I sleep either fitfully, have problems falling asleep, can't fall asleep at all, or wake up too early. But then after 3 days I can sleep like anyone else, regardless of energy. Which a lot of people say during their whole episodes they don't sleep well.

Just now, Alien Navel Cord said:

I get agressive, angry, irritible, spend too much money, have crazy ideas and weird thoughts, and feel very unfocused and un-productive (unlike everyone else). Once in a blue moon I get the euphoria and then I don't want it to go away. lol

Interesting! I'm very unfocused as well but can be productive and energetic. Euphoria would be pretty cool to experience but I've never reached it before. And then really bad, so it's not worth it. Ha. 

3 hours ago, Alana92 said:

Hey everyone! Hope you are having a nice morning. I wanted to chat with likeminded individuals about something I've been struggling with lately. I have anxiety and bipolar type II that has been controlled for nearly 4 years with regular therapy and the right medication, with milder interruptions  that can be upsetting from time to time (such as the below) in stressful times. I am wondering if anyone has experienced a similar "pattern" so to speak. 

This was the cycle.... Sunday/Monday (down, depressed) Tuesday and Wednesday (charged up, making tons of plans, no appetite, no need for sleep/caffeine) , Thursday (agitated depressed- no need for sleep, racing thoughts, etc. but very depressed mood, crying for no reason, not handling stress well).  I imagine now it will just be more depressive symptoms for a couple of days. 

these "moods" seem to follow a very set pattern day to day (slightly up, very up, and then down) and last a couple of weeks at most. I definitely know the down mods can be prompted by alcohol consumption (when I'm slightly hypomanic I tend to drink more than usual at dinner, etc.) Anyone else experience this? I want to make sure I am categorizing my moods correctly, if they ARE in fact moods and not just a bad bout of anxiety! 

Sounds like rapid-cycling: down, up, mixed. I'll stay in a down mood for 5-7 days, then up for 4-5, and then usually pretty level for about 7-10. Stress throws all of those number off, usually increases up and down moods. My meds mitigate just how far up and down I go, but the swings are still there and will probably never go away. 

It's good that you know your pattern so you can anticipate what's going to happen. Stress can cause you to cycle. It sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of what's happening.

2 hours ago, dtac said:

Sounds like rapid-cycling: down, up, mixed. I'll stay in a down mood for 5-7 days, then up for 4-5, and then usually pretty level for about 7-10. Stress throws all of those number off, usually increases up and down moods. My meds mitigate just how far up and down I go, but the swings are still there and will probably never go away. 

It's good that you know your pattern so you can anticipate what's going to happen. Stress can cause you to cycle. It sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of what's happening.

Thanks for your response. Yes, it's definitely stress-induced. My loved ones are telling me "oh this is just work related and not due to your mental illness." I know they're trying to be comforting, but it's frustrating, because I know myself and what's in the normal scope of "stress" and the differences between when I feel actually depressive or hypomanic. They just can't understand the constant tunnel vision in my head. So for them to dismiss this as just work stress can be really annoying.  Thanks for listening! 

6 hours ago, Alana92 said:

Sounds like mixed to me. The mood states can alternate as well as appear simultaneously. 

• Like 1