CrazyBoards.org

Wellbutrin + Antipsychotic cancel each other out?

If wellbutrin inhibits the reuptake of dopamine to increase dopamine levels in the synaptic cleft, and antipsychotics block dopamine receptors on the neuron's surface from taking up the Dopamine that Wellbutrin is increasing the concentration of in order to make it more readily available for uptake in the first place, then do they cancel each other out? I don't understand what the point of this is; it's like jogging in place. 

Specifically, I take wellbutrin and Latuda. Am I misunderstanding something? 

Edited by CantEven

There is someone/people on this board who can probably answer your question really well ... I'll tell them about this thread.

3 hours ago, CantEven said:

If wellbutrin inhibits the reuptake of dopamine to increase dopamine levels in the synaptic cleft, and antipsychotics block dopamine receptors on the neuron's surface from taking up the Dopamine that Wellbutrin is increasing the concentration of in order to make it more readily available for uptake in the first place, then do they cancel each other out? I don't understand what the point of this is; it's like jogging in place. 

Specifically, I take wellbutrin and Latuda. Am I misunderstanding something? 

Edited by melissaw72
double posted

Yes Wellbutrin is working to increase dopamine, and yes atypical antipsychotics are working to decrease dopaminergic neurotransmission, but it's not quite that simple. Atypical antipsychotics (AAPs) actually work to increase dopamine in certain areas of the brain, like the mesocortical dopaminergic pathway, which is believed to be underactive in individuals with schizophrenia (not that I'm saying you have schizophrenia!) So while it is working to decrease dopaminergic neurotransmission in the mesolimbic pathway, it increases dopaminergic neurotransmission in the mesocortical pathway. That is unless the dose is too high of the antipsychotic, then it takes on a more typical type of mechanism of action and antagonizes dopamine receptors in the mesocortical pathway as well, inducing negative symptoms.

• Like 2

On 14/1/2017 at 5:40 PM, mikrw33 said:

Yes Wellbutrin is working to increase dopamine, and yes atypical antipsychotics are working to decrease dopaminergic neurotransmission, but it's not quite that simple. Atypical antipsychotics (AAPs) actually work to increase dopamine in certain areas of the brain, like the mesocortical dopaminergic pathway, which is believed to be underactive in individuals with schizophrenia (not that I'm saying you have schizophrenia!) So while it is working to decrease dopaminergic neurotransmission in the mesolimbic pathway, it increases dopaminergic neurotransmission in the mesocortical pathway. That is unless the dose is too high of the antipsychotic, then it takes on a more typical type of mechanism of action and antagonizes dopamine receptors in the mesocortical pathway as well, inducing negative symptoms.

Yeah, that's the hypotesis...

The other thing it's AAP also affect serotoninergic activity and that Bupropion has more activity blocking norepinephrine than dopamine.

5 hours ago, OliverB said:

Yeah, that's the hypotesis...

The other thing it's AAP also affect serotoninergic activity and that Bupropion has more activity blocking norepinephrine than dopamine.

That's right—by blocking certain serotonin receptors and partially agonizing certain serotonin receptors, you get serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, even acetylcholine and histamine release.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Another thing to remember is that when you block post-synaptic receptors (destination receptors) it most likely causes a compensatory upregulation of said neurotransmitter. You block dopamine receptors, brain says my dopamine receptors are understimulated and I need to release more dopamine to compensate for the blockage. That effect combined with dopamine reuptake inhibition from Wellbutrin would theoretically work against your antipsychotics in some ways and work with it in others. Also, blocking one receptor can cause the release of "unrelated" neurotransmitters. For example, Trintellix has no affinity for dopamine receptors or the dopamine transporter but it causes release of dopamine through its blocking effects on post-synaptic serotonin receptors.

On 1/14/2017 at 5:35 AM, notloki said:

2 drugs that work with dopamine may not work at the same place in the brain. I take Abilify and a version of Wellbutrin without any trouble. 

I'm also on Wellbutrin and Abilify. The Wellbutrin has done wonders for depression. I still get mania though so I adjust my abilify doeses accordingly.