CrazyBoards.org

Heya motorgrrl,

OK as your friend not your doctor.

ALT 41 by itself I don't care about, to be honest.

If AST and ALT are *both* elevated, I might care.

AST and/or ALT can both fluctuate, depending on what your liver is busy doing on the day your blood is drawn.

Like *food,* chemicals you make in metabolism and stress, medications.

If it was my ALT 41 I wouldn't care, as long as it was followed up.

Likely your doc will want to repeat in 1-4 weeks, so do that.

Not to worry, okay?

--ncc--

Heya motorgrrl,

4 weeks, eh?  Heehee.  I win!

AM was right about the numbers (double or triple is really what we're looking for).  And getting your gall bladder checked (the liver ultrasound will also see your gallbladder, as a bonus) is always good.

It's okay to hold off on the ultrasound while waiting for the repeat tests.  I (from talking to all you Americans, thanks for opening my eyes) am learning more and more about the high cost of being a patient in the States.

But, if they're still wonky, or if it looks like your gall bladder is involved, your doctor might push a little harder to get a picture.

Good luck!

--ncc--

I should probably get my liver checked.  30mg Cymbalta + multiple doses of 13.5g ethanol PRN... yeah liver of swiss cheese right there.  Oy Vey.  (Descended from the archaic German term "O Weh", used to indicate extreme emotional turmoil). 

Last liver panel done October 2005, reported back to me as "fully normal".  Given that I trust most doctors as much as I do most holy Scripture, I'm getting a full copy of the results and normal reference values tomorrow from my GP.

But yeaaaah... reduce ethanol intake.... once I'm totally comfortable with the fact I'm going to have to underemploy myself as a manufacturing monkey ("pipette 1 milliliter from this vial into that vial, 15,000 times a day, for 5 years...") to fit in with America's sh!tty economy...

As my tdoc said, "Given how things are, your expectations might be too high... and the narcissism others have fed you is playing into this."  I'd argue/get upset, but it's true.

I should probably get my liver checked.  30mg Cymbalta + multiple doses of 13.5g ethanol PRN... yeah liver of swiss cheese right there.  Oy Vey.  (Descended from the archaic German term "O Weh", used to indicate extreme emotional turmoil).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah you also might want to reduce that ethanol intake ;) that can't be helping things.

does your pdoc not order regular liver panels? mine doesn't, but my GP does.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heya,

Just a caveat, okay.

Keeping copies of test results is a great plan, and we should *all* probably do it.

Until we have some sort of centralized database or something else out of scifi.

I encourage my patients, especialy diabetes, heart disease, cancer patients, to keep a file.

But make sure it's with an explanation.

As you, motorgrrl, saw with your liver tests, one off-normal number can freak you out.

Hell, I remember back in med school, practicing the abdominal exam on myself, that I could feel my liver edge.  That was a very scary result on its own.  My FP did bloods and ultrasound, and it came out okay.

So, yes, get copies of your labs, but make sure you have marginal notes or (better) notes on a separate page that give you some interpretation and context.

--ncc--

Archived